6th Hays 9 11 7 6 3

7th Richardson 5 6 9 8 9

8th Carroll 8 9 11 5 5

9th Pearce 11 10 5 10 6

10 Mesquite 10 8 10 9 10

11th North Mesquite 13 4 8 11 13

12th Alvin 6 13 12 12 12

13th Horn 12 12 13 13 11

LD Bell left after prelims to exhibition their BOA Show.

Finals Results

1st James Martin

2nd Allen

3rd Keller

4th Rowlett

5th Carroll

6th Jack C. Hayes

7th Richardson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell probably got poorly judged because of the random 3 and 5 and three 1s.

The 3 and 5 were not random, they were music scores while two of the 1sts were marching.

From the many times that I have seen both Bell and Martin this year, I can tell you straight up that the 1st in music was the odd score amongst the music judges.

The judges are definitely not stupid. Martin has one of the best shows in the state this year. Great music and awesome drill make up their show. Bell marches very

well, but they do not get the sound of a Haltom, Duncanville, Berkner, Plano East, or any of the top 5A bands...they never have. And I doubt it was a shock to Bell because they do not have a champoinship show this year.

Man, looking at those scores, those have GOT to be UIL judges, or at least they're judging on the UIL system. Perhaps I am biased because my band got the short end of the UIL stick last year, but it seems like UIL's system is very dysfunctional...there's usually little to no consistency with the scores, and there are always those occasions where some judges think that a band is AWESOME, and some think they SUCKED. Sorry, but those are just my 2 cents.

Man, looking at those scores, those have GOT to be UIL judges, or at least they're judging on the UIL system. Perhaps I am biased because my band got the short end of the UIL stick last year, but it seems like UIL's system is very dysfunctional...there's usually little to no consistency with the scores, and there are always those occasions where some judges think that a band is AWESOME, and some think they SUCKED. Sorry, but those are just my 2 cents.

If you look at the scores for just about any circuit (BOA, UIL, etc.), you will see the same thing.

1st Martin 2 2 2 2 2

VERY inconsistant :P had to point that out.

The format of the competition is: Lowest overall rank score wins. The only time that the "3 first place votes" rule comes into effect is when a band might possibly be left out of going to the state marching band competition. It had nothing to do with the results of this contest. You can read the above posts to see what the prelim rank totals were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am the drum major for the Rowlett Band and i have a few comments of my own from the North Texas Band Championships:

1st, I know L.D. Bell is really good but I think Martin deserved to win. Martin Had a great show and part of it was because L.D. Bell had to learn a 15 min show to take to Grand Nationals. If anyone got ratings that they didnt deserve, it was Allen. The 500+ member band marches eveyone in there band...no alternates and they got ranked 1ST in MARCHING. Above Bell, Martin and Rowlett. I DONT THINK SO. That was cheap. The prelims results should have been, Martin 1st, Bell 2nd, Keller 3rd, Rowlett 4th, Allen 5th. Since Bell didnt go UIL format at finals, it should have been Martin 1st, Keller 2nd, Rowlett 3rd and Allen somewhere close behind. Let me know if you disagree or want to discuss!!! And I do have to say Rowlett had an off year :(