San Antonio Regional

haha its MIKE sloan (not mark). I was the guard capt last year at churchill and his enthusiasm always gets us going.. hes a little enthusiastic. We all love him. :) ( did anyone else hear him yell "lets get crunk" before the show started?? haha wow...)

congrats reagan on yet another amazing show! Good Luck at nationals!

sry...I posted that at like 3 am after getting home from where else...San Antonio...sad thing is that he clinicians us sometimes and I totaly messed up his name! OOO boy..hehe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sry...I posted that at like 3 am after getting home from where else...San Antonio...sad thing is that he clinicians us sometimes and I totaly messed up his name! OOO boy..hehe

Sloan choreographs our shows too *I'm at clemens*

I personally don't like him, it really seems like he doesn't do much for us at all. He's always spending his time at Churchill or something ;)

what does everyone else think

From an entertainment standpoint, I would've had Cedar Park in Finals instead of Coppell. But in the end, the Prelims judging panel got the top 14 bands right. I can't even imagine how hard it was to rank those bands in Finals. What a line-up. By far, the best BOA Regional that I have ever been to.

Expect a review of some sort in a couple of days. I'm still tired!!!

Some very shorts thoughts (this is not a review) before the recaps are released...

I have a feeling that the performance captions, Music & Visual, were extremely close between the top bands. I would not at all be surprised if Ronald Reagan was close to sweeping the entire Regional. IMO, they were on a whole other level compared to everyone else.

They just had a feel to them whenever they stepped on the field. It has been metioned before on here, but the one thing that I was extremely impressed with this year about Reagan was their sound. Now, I'm not saying that they sounded bad in years past, but they just didn't have that gorgeous full sound compared to some of the other bands. This year...Wow. After the show was over, my jaw was down to my knees, my eyes were wide open, and I came very close to having tears stream down my face. Words cannot described how I felt while I watched "You Never Know." Heck, I was standing up throughout the entire show. If you know me, you know I'm huge on emotion.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that Ronald Reagan.

James Bowie & Marcus: Congrats on taking #2 and #3 in Finals. That is a HUGE accomplishment considering how stacked this competition was. I can't wait to see you guys next year. Y'all had such a beautiful, beautiful sound. Marcus' Respighi and Bowie's Concerto for Violin...stunning. Keep up the work! (And kudos to Marcelo's parents, Bowie mellophone, for feeding me and my crew french fries during Finals. :-))

Stephen F. Austin: If you heard someone yell "Be Remembered" before your Finals performance, and saw a guy in a gray shirt jump 20 feet in the air after your show, that was yours truly. Thank you for an emotional performance in San Antonio. As a huge SFA fan, I couldn't have been more proud of you guys. It put in an undescribeable mood, and it made me smile. Not only that, it made your former band director, Dean Westman, smile. I know that he is proud of you and the entire staff. You WERE remembered.

Winston Churchill: Jesus. I have seen my fairshare of Churchill shows over the years, and never...I mean, never have I seen the band on fire like this. Everything clicked. The music, the marching, the colorguard. It seemed like you were being pounded in the face every five seconds. To the band, forget about the placement. When all is said and done, the feeling that you got right after the show is the only thing that should matter. You guys were incredible.

-------

My Placements - Actual Placements

1. Ronald Reagan HS - Ronald Reagan HS

2. Winston Churchill HS - James Bowie HS

3. Stephen F. Austin HS - Marcus HS

4. Richland HS - Stephen F. Austin HS

5. James Bowie HS - Richland HS

6. Marcus HS - Winston Churchill HS

7. The Woodlands HS - The Woodlands HS

8. Haltom HS - Brazoswood HS

9. Cypress Falls HS - Haltom HS

10. Westfield HS - Westfield HS

11. Brazoswood HS - Westlake HS

12. Westlake HS - Cypress Falls HS

13. Coppell HS - Coppell HS

14. Hebron HS - Hebron HS

My Scores - Actual Scores

1. 94.65 - 93.75

2. 92.65 - 91.25

3. 92.00 - 91.80

4. 91.20 - 90.10

5. 89.25 - 89.20

6. 88.95 - 89.10

7. 87.55 - 88.30

8. 86.95 - 87.85

9. 86.55 - 86.95

10. 86.15 - 86.75

11. 85.00 - 85.95

12. 84.30 - 85.55

13. 83.65 - 83.40

14. 83.15 - 82.15

-------

Ronald Reagan blew my mind.  I watched them perform their whole show in warm-up, and was floored by the stuff they were playing.  I have NEVER heard woodwinds like that before, the only thing that I remember coming close was Lassiter 98's woodwind section.  It was obvious to me that they were going to win, and why they won music in prelims.

Now I REALLY want to see Marcus's show, because I can't even fathom how a band could have beaten Reagan in music.

Haha...when you guys came on I was screaming like crrraaaaaazy. You'll probably hear me on the recording. lol, it was so fun. I also saw you towards the end of the show on the right (I assumed it was you b/c you were really tall and you were playing French Horn lol). But yeah, I'm still amazed by the performance you guys put on, congrats. Every chance I got I told the SFA parents how classy and great their kids were. :P:D

P.S. I don't believe Marcus should have received music performance. (no offense), I truly thought Reagan or Richland would get that one, but oh well....

Yikes, what did spring place?

we (Spring) got 23rd. man, that was a big shock to us. but now that we look back, it's pretty obvious why we didn't make finals. GE, GE, GE.

i wish i knew what we got penalized for. .1, hmhm.

*shrug* next year. it was nice being able to see finals anyway, since we weren't able to see ANY shows this season (except for what we saw at games). i'm glad we were beat by what was in finals. those shows deserved to be in finals :)

ah, I loved Westfield's show (especially the ending) except the repetition of last yr's music kinda bugged me. nice show nonetheless. Reagan was nicely done, as usual :P the ending set was an interesting surprise, though i thought you guys were going to surprise us with some cool trick or who knows what :D

all of finals was great, to say the least. everyone else has already said what i wanted to say, so i won't be repetitive :lol:

I loved the ending of Reagan's show because it was one of the few times I could actually recognize a piece (listen to the very ending of Symphonic Metamorphasis mvt. 2). I was thinking to myself when Westfield was warming up... man that sounds an awful lot like last year... glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

I was really surprised at our (Bowie's) score on saturday night... I really thought we had an awesome performance, but i ranked us as seventh... idk... i'm pretty new to this stuff though... I didnt get to see churchill's show this year, and was wondering why they scored lower... i thought they'd get at least 3rd... I loved the pic. tpt solo in reagan's show!!! props to the tpt soloist!!

I agree with nick on that one, Marcus was WAY over-ranked. I'm not saying it was bad cause all the bands that I saw were awesome. Congrats to all who performed tonight (or last night since its actually sunday now).

I've thought the same thing of them all season; I have a very hard time taking their show seriously.

Haha...when you guys came on I was screaming like crrraaaaaazy. You'll probably hear me on the recording. lol, it was so fun. I also saw you towards the end of the show on the right (I assumed it was you b/c you were really tall and you were playing French Horn lol). But yeah, I'm still amazed by the performance you guys put on, congrats. Every chance I got I told the SFA parents how classy and great their kids were. :P:D

P.S. I don't believe Marcus should have received music performance. (no offense), I truly thought Reagan or Richland would get that one, but oh well....

Awesome, thanks a lot man. And yeah, that was me on the right there, haha.

Ronald Reagan blew my mind. I watched them perform their whole show in warm-up, and was floored by the stuff they were playing. I have NEVER heard woodwinds like that before, the only thing that I remember coming close was Lassiter 98's woodwind section. It was obvious to me that they were going to win, and why they won music in prelims.

Now I REALLY want to see Marcus's show, because I can't even fathom how a band could have beaten Reagan in music.

I don't know how they beat Reagan's music score. If I remember correctly I heared a lot of edge in the brass playing and it made me put on a sadface *sadface* :(

i dont think churchill lovers will like it so much when they hear that they got 5th... i was sitting by a whole bunch of people that heard their placement and it was a mix of confusion and awe.

exp:

"whaaaa???"

"woooah!"

"oooooo"

"ooouch"

so as you can see, the vowels of the reactions were very elongated for dramatic effect.

so yeah, that was interesting. i personally liked their show. very churchillesque.

^those same things were heard on the field in the retreat...

ah, I loved Westfield's show (especially the ending) except the repetition of last yr's music kinda bugged me. nice show nonetheless.

yeah the music was repetitive from last year.. parts of 1st, 3rd, & 5th mvmt of the show. I was kind of disappointed when we got the music in the beginning of the year because final fantasy has so much more music.

It was a fun show to march though and im not disapointed one bit about the placement results, considering we almost didnt make it back to san antonio in time to perform [bus situation that i hope never happens again..].

big thanks to richland btw for switching times.. i wouldve been sad if we didnt get to perform for the last time.

• 1 month later...
Thank you SO much for saying that. I think you really are the first person. Everybody and their dog has been saying "Bowie didn't deserve what they made, they should have been 7th, their show is UIL, not BoA" etc. etc...and I'm just really happy that someone recognized our efforts and not our shortcomings. I know every band in finals was absolutely amazing, we were all within fractions of points to eachother. So, thanks again for your support and congrats to everybody who participated!

Well yeah he said that , because that was Brent Baker and he is from Bowie as well as I. But I'm waiting to hear someone other than a person from Bowie say that we did ok.(Sorry for being a pain but I was pointing out the obvious for you and if you don't know who i am and you wanna kick my butt , im Joe you know the one in front enesemble that Mr. Polk always yelled at?) yeah thats me but ok..... honestly everyone did an imacualnt job and I'm looking forward to my second year of marching.

Go Bowie 2005-06 Season!

Joe class of '09 :rolleyes:

I hope you realized that my name is Nick Nelson, I play bassoon, I go to Cedar Park High School, and I'm a senior. That is no secret. Look at my username (nnelsonbsn [Nick Nelson Bassoon]), my profile (I'm a Cedar Park Timberwolf, -Nick Nelson), and ask anyone else from Cedar Park. That is also my AIM screenname.