I like the "Lord of the Rings" show idea, but my idea would be in addition to the film score, add in Johann DeMeijj's "Lord of the Rings" symphony too.

A good show I think would work, and one that I'm arranging as I type is music from "The Wizard of Oz" combined with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"

My working title is "Dark Side of the Rainbow"

KEY POULAN'S ARRANGEMENT OF FIREBIRD SUITE!!!

Ever since I played an excerpt from Firebird Suite in 8th grade Symphonic Orchestra, it's been one of my favorite pieces of classical music.

...I hate Key Poulan. His compositoins (at least the roiginal ones) are weak, and they all sound the same. DOn't believe me? Go to his sight and listen to recordings of them!

Anyways, I would have to say, that if it were an arrangement of previously written pieces, I think it would have to open with Shostakovich's Opus 110a, with allegro molto first and largo second. Then, it woud feature Night on Bald Mountain which would then modulate into Mars as the closer.

However, if you drop by the composer's corner you can have a listen to my "Suite of Assorted Cataclysms"; I would love to perform that.

...I hate Key Poulan. His compositoins (at least the roiginal ones) are weak, and they all sound the same.

Having played Key Poulan shows my junior and senior year (see sig), I must admit that I noticed some thematic similarities in the music. It's just that his arrangement of Firebird Suite is the only one I know of for marching band. Plus Santa Clara Vanguard does a lot of Key Poulan stuff. (And since I :wub: SCV...)

i've never thought about this before... but either way i like to be different... so i'll give you this, that will never be made into a show but as far as realistic ideas, i don't have too much of a dream show to talk about so, i'll give you my whack one.

opener - based on metallica's 'master of puppets'

second movement - based on the call of ktulu (or just original)

percussion interlude - completely orginal

ballad - based on alter bridge's 'broken wings'

closer - based off of fuel's 'down'

you know what... maybe it doesnt even sound that bad...

• 2 weeks later...
Haha, exactly what I was thinking.

Medea = Woman killing her children.

Adagio = Passionate and beautiful.

YAY BARBER.

but can we say violent?

the first one at least.

personally,

a mix of reagan's 03 show, cp's 02 show (that barber one) and SCV 89 would be amazing.

but extremely random.

so....

yeah.

im not very good at this game.

:(

anyone wana help me? haha

hit me up

whatta x loser

Having played Key Poulan shows my junior and senior year (see sig), I must admit that I noticed some thematic similarities in the music. It's just that his arrangement of Firebird Suite is the only one I know of for marching band. Plus Santa Clara Vanguard does a lot of Key Poulan stuff. (And since I :wub: SCV...)

didnt he do CP's 0...4? state show?

the planets?

or am i making that up?

I would write my own completely original show... with a one minute-long drum break. Loud chords, along with parts for each instrument that would make good music on its own. What I mean by this is if you listen to really good Drum Corps, and listen to each section, they usually have complex parts that still blend wonderfully with the ensemble.

I think the best written part of your usual Key Poulan show is the keyboard music. The other parts can get rather annoyingly dull when you've played key poulan music before... there are too many similarities between the shows I think. Poor winds... they don't usually get to tweak their music much.

I would write my own completely original show... with a one minute-long drum break. Loud chords, along with parts for each instrument that would make good music on its own. What I mean by this is if you listen to really good Drum Corps, and listen to each section, they usually have complex parts that still blend wonderfully with the ensemble.

I've done that many a time. If you go to the composer's corner you can hear some of my shows.

Well, maybe two different shows since my selections don't really go together, but anyway..

Phantom of the Opera. Actually a 1A band did a Phantom of the Opera show at state this year, but unfortunatly, us 4A's didn't get there till the day after.

Armenian Dances: Part II by Alfred Reed. Maybe not the most sensible piece to march to, but its got such energy that I would love to just be able to play it for so many people so that they could hear it.

In the same show, I would like to hear:

Intro: Mars by Holst

Opener: Ottorino Respighi's Church Windows Mvmt II

Ballad 1:Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto Op. 14, Mvmt II

Ballad 2: Jupiter by Holst

Closer: Excerpts from Niagra Falls by Michael Daugherty

End: Malaga by Bill Holman as performed by the '95 Madison Scouts

You have to admit that this would be one heck of a show.

In the same show, I would like to hear:

Intro: Mars by Holst

Opener: Ottorino Respighi's Church Windows Mvmt II

Ballad 1:Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto Op. 14, Mvmt II

Ballad 2: Jupiter by Holst

Closer: Excerpts from Niagra Falls by Michael Daugherty

End: Malaga by Bill Holman as performed by the '95 Madison Scouts

You have to admit that this would be one heck of a show.

yeah, but you would have people like... dying on the field.

But that is where you are wrong. You are thinking about our show and its second movement. I am talking strictly from a musical standpoint. I definitely would not use Michael Gaines as the drillwriter because of his lack of focus, his need to be lazy, and the lack of originality. I've marched to most of that music and its not hard.

going back to awesome movie composers that could do well on a field...look into Hans Zimmer. He has written for Gladiator, Backdraft, Pirates, some parts of Top Gun, and many others. Doing a show based on Backdraft would be plain awesome.

I've marched shows with music similar to what you all are talking about. El Paso Coronado does that kind of stuff. Planets, Pines of Rome, Dvorak, some really interesting shows. I don't think there are audio or video files anywhere of them, I'll see what I can do to get some posted.