Texas Bands @ BOA Nationals 2013

I'm hoping that 2013 Nationals will turn out crazy like in 2003 when 1-5 was only separated by 1 point. Sacked stacked stacked.

I believe it was 2001 when the top 5 scores were within one point of each other. That's still my favorite top 5 ever at nationals. Man, that PCEP show! Programme One, was it? Their visual design = *drool*

I believe it was 2001 when the top 5 scores were within one point of each other. That's still my favorite top 5 ever at nationals. Man, that PCEP show! Programme One, was it? Their visual design = *drool*

Now that I actually go back and check we're both right, really. 2001 there was a ridiculous .95 gap between 1-5, while in 2003 it was 1.35 points. :rolleyes: Same difference! :P

PCEP was on fire that year, I agree. "Wild Nights" (or Adams in general, really) is a great piece of music.

Edited by mellopwn1

Would it be fair to say that this was a transition year for Bell and that next year they'll be on fire (more so than usual)?

I bet they will be. I think their show this year suffered from being too difficult in general. You could hear the difficulty of the drill in their music performance, where their scores were docked a bit. That sub-par Bell music performance couldn't possibly be the result of Wes Cartwright leaving. I'm sure if they do something a little more manageable next year they'll score very well at nationals, etc. Did anybody else find it interesting that Broken Arrow's show this year also featured creepy ladies in giant dresses? I wonder if this was an idea that Bell got from Cartwright right before he left. There did seem to be some leftover Cartwright-isms in Bell's show.

Anyway, which Texans are on the list of potential 2013 GN participants? Marcus, The Woodlands, LD Bell, Round Rock, Hebron, Winston Churchill, Anderson, and Cedar Ridge? Anyone else?

If 8 Texas bands attended, that would be the most to ever attend Grand Nationals. The current record is 7 from 2007. Bell, Richland, SFA, The Woodlands, Mabank, Reagan and Clear Brook all made the trip that year. 6 of them made semi-finals (all but Mabank) and 4 made finals (Bell, TWHS, Richland & SFA). That was the year LD Bell won it all. My personal favorite year for Nationals, and also the first year I watched the GN webcast.

I bet they will be. I think their show this year suffered from being too difficult in general. You could hear the difficulty of the drill in their music performance, where their scores were docked a bit. That sub-par Bell music performance couldn't possibly be the result of Wes Cartwright leaving. I'm sure if they do something a little more manageable next year they'll score very well at nationals, etc. Did anybody else find it interesting that Broken Arrow's show this year also featured creepy ladies in giant dresses? I wonder if this was an idea that Bell got from Cartwright right before he left. There did seem to be some leftover Cartwright-isms in Bell's show.

Anyway, which Texans are on the list of potential 2013 GN participants? Marcus, The Woodlands, LD Bell, Round Rock, Hebron, Winston Churchill, Anderson, and Cedar Ridge? Anyone else?

Where did Cartwright go?

If 8 Texas bands attended, that would be the most to ever attend Grand Nationals. The current record is 7 from 2007. Bell, Richland, SFA, The Woodlands, Mabank, Reagan and Clear Brook all made the trip that year. 6 of them made semi-finals (all but Mabank) and 4 made finals (Bell, TWHS, Richland & SFA). That was the year LD Bell won it all. My personal favorite year for Nationals, and also the first year I watched the GN webcast.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if Texas outdid itself next year and produced 5 finalists. That would be epic! I think 4 is still the most we've produced in a single year.

Indiana had 5 bands make it 1981 and 6 bands make it in 1984 (BOA wasn't as much of a national organization yet, and mostly recruited local programs).

Several states have had 4 bands make it (Indiana and Texas have both done this several times, as has Florida, Ohio, Illinois and I think New York), but never more than 4 bands from 1 state have made it since 1984.

I agree that it would be cool to change this.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...