Degree of Difficulty

Is there a reason that the degree of difficulty of a show is not factored into scoring? In 7 years of watching marching competitions, I am amazed and befuddled that schools and shows consistently place higher when members play when stationery or barely moving versus schools that have members play while moving at a quicker pace. This reward simply seems to penalize a more challenging and entertaining show. I've seen a few "big name" schools do this, and while they sound really good, they are not entertaining and sometimes even boring. A reward needs to be included for those schools that challenge their members to do something more difficult than do boring really well.

Is there a reason that the degree of difficulty of a show is not factored into scoring? In 7 years of watching marching competitions, I am amazed and befuddled that schools and shows consistently place higher when members play when stationery or barely moving versus schools that have members play while moving at a quicker pace. This reward simply seems to penalize a more challenging and entertaining show. I've seen a few "big name" schools do this, and while they sound really good, they are not entertaining and sometimes even boring. A reward needs to be included for those schools that challenge their members to do something more difficult than do boring really well.

What is boring to some is exciting to others. Vice versa. Simply put, if it's "entertaining" but does not look or sound good, it will not get the points.

I think you're confused.

Schools that perform more difficult music and/or drill DO get rewarded...but only when it's done well. Bands that do not have this balance of clarity and content tend to be scored lower than bands that lack training or cleanliness. Recognize that what these "big name" schools are accomplishing is at an extremely high level technically and they make it look easy. That should never be mixed up with "boring."

They are a "big name" for a reason...

I actually disagree with your sentiment. While I do feel that poor execution is punished more than high difficulty is rewarded, I feel that, when done well, difficult shows often find themselves at the top of the pack. I don't think anybody would accuse yesterday's medalists, for instance, of running easy shows.

The only reason people believe that "easy" shows are winning is because they are clean and the judges can not tally off for anything. One of the schools that I believe pull off high energy difficult shows and don't pull off high level contest wins is Brazoswood HS. They usually have very difficult repertoire for their shows and pretty demanding drills, but it is never actually "clean". I know it is very entertaining to watch especially their 2010 show, Vertigo, but the cleanliness of their show is not a high-level contest worthy winner. I've seen their show this year, Up in the Air. It is still a quite challenging show, yet they toned it down. This made it clean and sweet to watch. I hope B'wood does well at State this year. Let's hope they don't get too hyped up and have their top players "A View Askew" their show up.

I am a novice at this - but I have started to notice some "slight of hand" tricks that programs use, esp in UIL.

IE - doing difficult moves during a drumline or pit break, dividing the band - having one half play and the other have do difficult drills. I know this is not something new, but it is new to my untrained eye.

We have a brand new band program - this was the first year to have seniors - and we are all learning - director's, students, and parents.

I am a novice at this - but I have started to notice some "slight of hand" tricks that programs use, esp in UIL.

IE - doing difficult moves during a drumline or pit break, dividing the band - having one half play and the other have do difficult drills. I know this is not something new, but it is new to my untrained eye.

We have a brand new band program - this was the first year to have seniors - and we are all learning - director's, students, and parents.

Yeah, that's definitely not new. That's something that the trained eye has known for a really long time and everyone is getting better and better at it and more effective at hiding it. But this isn't really a bad thing; So long as the product is memorable in all aspects (marching and music) then it is an awesome show!

That reminds me of how I felt on Saturday while watching Westlake. At one point towards the end I was like "holy mother of God! Where is this amazing brass sound coming from?" Then the camera cut to the whole horn line standing on the giant staircase and was like ".....oh." But that's still very clever of them!

As my old band director said, "If you're going to park and blow, you had better sound amazing."

Edited by Donezo