Poteet disqualified?????

What exactly happen and is it true they are disqualified from State? I know they competed at area and got 2nd but i heard they were disqualified.

Yes they are disqualified, and Forney will be competing at State in their place. They had an ineligible student running the sound board for their show. The director actually told UIL himself out of integrity.

What exactly happen and is it true they are disqualified from State? I know they competed at area and got 2nd but i heard they were disqualified.

From what I understand, the ineligable student regarding the sound board was not on the ineligable list that was given to the director by the school office because the student is not enrolled in the band program. The list just involved actual kids enrolled in the band program...the marchers. When the band Director realized what had happened, he notified UIL. Area disqualified Poteet at first, and then reversed the decision, seeing that it was a human/paperwork error, followed up with honesty. After being allowed to march at Area, and qualifying for State, Poteet had to plead the same case to the State UIL folks. They ruled against Poteet. UIL has good guidelines, and for good reason. Competetors should be honest, and follow the rules to the best of their ability. The intent is to be fair. I'm sure that some are feeling that this was a fair ruling. Others see this as penalizing an entire band for an unintentional error, and showing kids that if you are honest and have integrity, it is of little good. I am sad for Poteet, and their director. They have been, are, and will continue to be a fantastic band. Good luck to all of the other 4A bands headed to San Antonio next week. They are all hard workers and awesome performers, and deserve congratulations for making it all the way to State.

Edited by Karen O. H.

There are actually two ways to look at this. UIL wanted to make sure Poteet was given every opportunity to ensure compiance with the rules. Since there's no way around the fact that an ineligable student performed with the band they were disqualified just as every other band with an ineligable performer has been disqualified.

The second explanation favors Forney quite a bit. Only 15 bands peformed at Area C on Saturday. Had Poteet been disqualified before the contest, only 14 would have peformed and only 2 would have advanced to state: Waxahachie and Pearce. Because Poteet was allowed to compete, 3 band are now advancing and Forney has an opportunity to perform at State that they wouldn't have had if all the rules been followed to the letter.

[/quote

I am in the Forney band so I can say these things for a fact. Though we are overjoyed that we have recieved the opportunity to go we are sincerely sorry that it is at Poteet's expense. When they were telling us the news we were told that when we go to State we are not only representing Forney, but Poteet as well and we should do our best to make Poteet proud. We know how they feel though. Because when we were called to be alternate there was soo much crying since we had worked sooo hard to get to advance and then barely miss it. The days leading up to the decision and the day of was extremely nerve racking and everyone was on edge. We understand that Forney Band is going into this competition with absolutly no support from any other band program, we understand that but we will not let that stop us from trying our hardest, even if our hardest is not our best the day of the competition. B)

No, Forney Band Member, you do NOT know how they feel. They EARNED the right to be at state and had it yanked away due to something technical that had nothing to do with them. To add insult to injury, the problem was self reported-they were honest and these students are paying a very heavy price for an unintentional human error and the inability of UIL leadership to look at the "spirit of the law" as opposed to the "letter of the law".

You can't possibly KNOW how they feel. What you described as "nerve racking" at Forney was absolute agony for Poteet. There are many juniors and seniors who will never have another opportunity to "make up" for this or in essence "wipe the slate clean" and start over.

Enjoy your trip to state and I really hope that Forney has a positive outcome but keep in mind that you can't possibly know the raw disappointment and sense of let down they feel at Poteet. Getting "fourth" at area doesn't compare with acheiving and having a state trip taken away due to a technicallity.

Also, before any of your group trash talk about Poteet in the future, keep in mind that, this year, Poteet gave you this "gift" of going to state-if not for Poteet's misfortune, you would not be there this time. Maybe, as a group, start treating them better and stop the incessant trash talk that they have been hearing over the past few years. Like you, they work hard and are very dedicated. They have earned every award that they have ever received. Nothing has ever been handed to them.

Make the most of this trip. Represent Area C with pride and class. Good luck at state but please keep Poteet in your thoughts. This unfortunate situation could have happened to any band. It just happened to be Poteet this year. Good luck and best wishes!

Uhm..... Maybe a tad overboard?

No, Forney Band Member, you do NOT know how they feel. They EARNED the right to be at state and had it yanked away due to something technical that had nothing to do with them. To add insult to injury, the problem was self reported-they were honest and these students are paying a very heavy price for an unintentional human error and the inability of UIL leadership to look at the "spirit of the law" as opposed to the "letter of the law".

You can't possibly KNOW how they feel. What you described as "nerve racking" at Forney was absolute agony for Poteet. There are many juniors and seniors who will never have another opportunity to "make up" for this or in essence "wipe the slate clean" and start over.

Enjoy your trip to state and I really hope that Forney has a positive outcome but keep in mind that you can't possibly know the raw disappointment and sense of let down they feel at Poteet. Getting "fourth" at area doesn't compare with acheiving and having a state trip taken away due to a technicallity.

Also, before any of your group trash talk about Poteet in the future, keep in mind that, this year, Poteet gave you this "gift" of going to state-if not for Poteet's misfortune, you would not be there this time. Maybe, as a group, start treating them better and stop the incessant trash talk that they have been hearing over the past few years. Like you, they work hard and are very dedicated. They have earned every award that they have ever received. Nothing has ever been handed to them.

Make the most of this trip. Represent Area C with pride and class. Good luck at state but please keep Poteet in your thoughts. This unfortunate situation could have happened to any band. It just happened to be Poteet this year. Good luck and best wishes!

Wow. Now that's bitter.

A few thoughts:

...the inability of UIL leadership to look at the "spirit of the law" as opposed to the "letter of the law".

I think that if the spirit superseded the letter of the law, the whole system would break down.

We all really feel for the Poteet band members and their families, big time. I cannot even begin to imagine the heartbreak they are feeling, after having worked so hard on their show for so long. Truly devastating, and yes, especially for the juniors and seniors. My heart goes out to them.

It is not true that Forney Band is going into this competition with absolutely no support from any other band program. Most of us here, while we have our favorites and hopes and dreams, recognize that the Texas high school marching band program is really righteous! We know that every single band has put body and soul into performing their very best. Forney Band included, and we are happy for them.

Good luck to every band performing today and on Tuesday. What a fantastic week to be lover of Texas high school marching band! :D

Edited by TbonesRock

Make the most of this trip. Represent Area C with pride and class.

...right...you might want to remove that post if you are also interested in doing so.

As for "no support from any other band," I have relatives and friends in several texas programs who are hoping you do well, especially on such short notice.

Edited by NewMexicoBandsman

Wow my child is in the Forney band. Believe me it was hard on ALL in the situation. We do feel bad for Poteet they have a great show and worked very hard. We did NOTHING WRONG. Our band was the alternate and it worked out we get to go but we hate its at the expense of another band. We DID EARN the right to compete at state just like all the other bands. We have had wonderful support and thank everyone for their kind words and support for our band. We have not talked trash about Poteet in fact when they played at our stadium our band clapped and cheered for them as they walked by us in the stands at halftime. We know they are good and we respect them. Our kids are excited and work hard just like everyone does Poteet did not give us a gift it just worked out like this. We know they will be back next year stronger then ever. Our director teaches our kids to have the utmost respect for every band. Good luck Forney band and thanks everyone for the kind words.

We understand that Forney Band is going into this competition with absolutly no support from any other band program, we understand that but we will not let that stop us from trying our hardest, even if our hardest is not our best the day of the competition. B)

Dear Forney Band member, this brought tears to my eyes when I read it. First let me say, my child is in the Poteet Band. We are proud of our kids, and their tradition of excellence, and sad how things turned out for them. Any parent would be, and I have seen here (txbands.com is a wonderful source of information) that everyone empathizes with our situation, whether they agree with the decision or not. BUT...please don't think you are not supported!!!! Band is all one big community, with friendly competition, not gang wars. Every single last one of you works very VERY hard, from the State Champs to the kids who didn't even make it past Region. Your dedication (including yours, Forney Band member) is looked upon with admiration and respect, and the Band community is so proud of EVERY Band member!!! Now you go to San Antonio and ENJOY YOURSELF!! Play and march your best, and the best of luck to you and all of the incredible kids representing their schools!!!! :D

We understand that Forney Band is going into this competition with absolutly no support from any other band program, we understand that but we will not let that stop us from trying our hardest, even if our hardest is not our best the day of the competition. B)

Dear Forney Band member, this brought tears to my eyes when I read it. First let me say, my child is in the Poteet Band. We are proud of our kids, and their tradition of excellence, and sad how things turned out for them. Any parent would be, and I have seen here (txbands.com is a wonderful source of information) that everyone empathizes with our situation, whether they agree with the decision or not. BUT...please don't think you are not supported!!!! Band is all one big community, with friendly competition, not gang wars. Every single last one of you works very VERY hard, from the State Champs to the kids who didn't even make it past Region. Your dedication (including yours, Forney Band member) is looked upon with admiration and respect, and the Band community is so proud of EVERY Band member!!! Now you go to San Antonio and ENJOY YOURSELF!! Play and march your best, and the best of luck to you and all of the incredible kids representing their schools!!!! :D

Beautiful!

I love how (s)he deleted his/her post after finding out it was being received negatively. This is the internet, folks, once something is posted, it's out there, whether it be from the people farther down that quoted it or cached somewhere else. Think twice before you post something emotional.

That being said, from the outside looking in, this decision was a totally mixed bag of emotions. The first thought that came to my mind when Poteet was disqualified was "man, I can't imagine being a senior or junior in that band right now. I'd be crying my eyes out." But then I thought of how it would feel to be in Forney's shoes, and how amazing it would be to be given a second chance. I just hope that at the end of the day, neither of these band programs feel any animosity toward each other. That would be the true tragedy.

You have much of which to be proud. I saw Poteet's show last night at the Centennial Marching Festival, and the kids were amazing. I know they would have done well at state. Your grace in a heart-breaking situation is inspiring. Ultimately, those of us who support the arts are in this together. Thank you.

I sat right smack dab in the middle of the Poteet parent's at CMF yesterday and I can say I am extremely impressed with how well you as a whole program have handled the bad end of an unfortunate situation. Your kids, in classic Poteet fashion, put on a great, well spirited show last night.

I love how (s)he deleted his/her post after finding out it was being received negatively. This is the internet, folks, once something is posted, it's out there, whether it be from the people farther down that quoted it or cached somewhere else. Think twice before you post something emotional.

That being said, from the outside looking in, this decision was a totally mixed bag of emotions. The first thought that came to my mind when Poteet was disqualified was "man, I can't imagine being a senior or junior in that band right now. I'd be crying my eyes out." But then I thought of how it would feel to be in Forney's shoes, and how amazing it would be to be given a second chance. I just hope that at the end of the day, neither of these band programs feel any animosity toward each other. That would be the true tragedy.

Maybe some compassion should be in order. If this is a Poteet member, I imagine emotions are running pretty high. How many of us can honestly say that we have been in that same situation and experienced the same kind of disappointment? Obviously, they realized that they were too emotional on that post and deleted it. We could cut some slack on this and delete as well instead of having it live in cyberspace forever. Its hard to even imagine what they must be dealing with!

I think it's pretty awesome that the director had the moral integrity to confess to something that was absolutely not his fault. I know a few members of the Poteet band, and I feel sorry for them not being able to go to state this year, especially since they did nothing wrong. Still, though, I respect their program that much more for going out of their way to abide by the rules.

I agree. Emotion took over. Hard week. Saw too many upset kids, too much uncertainty, too much anxiety, too much... and felt too much of it too. Should have taken step back.

Apologize. Don't want to reflect poorly on a program that is nothing but a class act. I came back and deleted once cooler thoughts prevailed. Wish I could take it back.

I agree. Emotion took over. Hard week. Saw too many upset kids, too much uncertainty, too much anxiety, too much... and felt too much of it too. Should have taken step back.

Apologize. Don't want to reflect poorly on a program that is nothing but a class act. I came back and deleted once cooler thoughts prevailed. Wish I could take it back.

It's okay. Just know that almost the whole state of Texas feels for your kids. No program should ever have to deal with that.

Some food for thought...

The consequences for having an ineligible participant for Poteet could have been much worse had this not been divulged but instead discovered. There are consequences to breaking the rules (however unintentional), and Poteet received the minimum punishment available to schools who, for one reason or another, march an ineligible player or play an ineligible football player etc.

While not great for the kids who wished to march at State, the self-reporting and the disqualification were absolutely the best course of action for all involved given the circumstances.