2011 BOA San Antonio

I feel like Plano East could darkhorse. They've made changes to the show and really stepped up lately with a difficult show. As a finalist and fan favorite last year in their first ever BOA appearance, I feel good about what could happen for them at San Antonio. Arlington contest was not a fair representation of what that band can do.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like Plano East could darkhorse. They've made changes to the show and really stepped up lately with a difficult show. As a finalist and fan favorite last year in their first ever BOA appearance, I feel good about what could happen for them at San Antonio. Arlington contest was not a fair representation of what that band can do.

Haven't seen Plano East's show this year. They were very impressive last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do very well! Arlington was still pretty early in the year...at least the midway mark. I'm sure most of the bands that were in that competition who are going to SA will look very different. It's amazing to see how the shows change and improve over just a few weeks.

Yeah, well the program has been getting progessively worse since 2008 and has probably hit its standard with the the current directors and staff having all their own kids instead of the remaining ones from the previous head director and his staff. Just because components of a marching band are new every year doesn't mean the direction is.

And sorry if this is offensive but it's the truth...

I am guessing that no other schools have to face things like money moving away into other schools. Churchill has a great program. If anyone cares to question that, then I invite them to come on down to watch these kids practice. Churchill no longer has parents with unlimited resources to work with. This program is rebuilding itself and is definitely getting stronger. This school has a long standing tradition of excellence. As a parent of this program I support those that lead it. Criticizing the directors most certainly isn't very productive. How about look at the average age of the Churchill band. Just shy of half the bands are freshman. Can any other band say that they can compete this well with such young kids? I don't think so especially with bands like Bell that don't have a freshman class, and prefer the older more experienced kids on the field.

The program isn't getting worse, it is just changing, and with change comes some difficulties, but we prefer not to complain, we prefer to overcome.

And your statement is quite offensive. And truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Once a Charger, always a Charger!

Go Churchill Band!

B)

Churchill getting worse.

I can see by your negativity, and lack of any information on your profile as to which school you are supporting, that you are hiding behind the internet. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are a supporter of the previous director, and not of the director now.

You are just being a harsh individual that lacks the knowledge, of change.

I have never seen anyone attack a single school the way you have. Churchill is doing quite well. 7th in prelims at Houston, and 10th at finals just because the show wasn't finished. I don't see that as the program getting worse. Straight I's at UIL. Looks like a winning program to me.

Just keep hating the program. It only serves to make it stronger. B)

B)

I can see by your negativity, and lack of any information on your profile as to which school you are supporting, that you are hiding behind the internet. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are a supporter of the previous director, and not of the director now.

You are just being a harsh individual that lacks the knowledge, of change.

I have never seen anyone attack a single school the way you have. Churchill is doing quite well. 7th in prelims at Houston, and 10th at finals just because the show wasn't finished. I don't see that as the program getting worse. Straight I's at UIL. Looks like a winning program to me.

Just keep hating the program. It only serves to make it stronger. B)

He's a troll, he's trolling. And he's already graduated.

How about look at the average age of the Churchill band. Just shy of half the bands are freshman. Can any other band say that they can compete this well with such young kids?

While I don't think anything poor of Churchill as it's a great program, I'd just like to point out that schools such as Avon (three time national champion) march large numbers of freshmen as well. It was reported that in 2010 Avon marched 40% freshmen. A "young band" does not always equal a lower level of execution, contrary to what people think.

Edited by mellopwn1

I don't think so especially with bands like Bell that don't have a freshman class, and prefer the older more experienced kids on the field.
]

I am not in any way associated with Bell, but there is a bit of a flaw in your argument here. If anything it makes it tougher for Bell by not having freshman. The kids that go to Bell do not march before their 10th grade year. So while most schools have at least some kids who have marched for 4 years (9-12), Bell students have the chance to march at most 3 years (10-12)

]

I am not in any way associated with Bell, but there is a bit of a flaw in your argument here. If anything it makes it tougher for Bell by not having freshman. The kids that go to Bell do not march before their 10th grade year. So while most schools have at least some kids who have marched for 4 years (9-12), Bell students have the chance to march at most 3 years (10-12)

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing. It means that the students have to work harder for a spot and end up being more skilled marchers, while some other schools have to put less experienced marchers on the field just to actually have a large field presence.

Not only that, but the HEB ISD doesn't start beginner band until 7th grade instead of the standard 6th grade. That also makes it that much more amazing that they can still be as good as they are.

I am guessing that no other schools have to face things like money moving away into other schools. Churchill has a great program. If anyone cares to question that, then I invite them to come on down to watch these kids practice. Churchill no longer has parents with unlimited resources to work with. This program is rebuilding itself and is definitely getting stronger. This school has a long standing tradition of excellence. As a parent of this program I support those that lead it. Criticizing the directors most certainly isn't very productive. How about look at the average age of the Churchill band. Just shy of half the bands are freshman. Can any other band say that they can compete this well with such young kids? I don't think so especially with bands like Bell that don't have a freshman class, and prefer the older more experienced kids on the field.

The program isn't getting worse, it is just changing, and with change comes some difficulties, but we prefer not to complain, we prefer to overcome.

And your statement is quite offensive. And truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Once a Charger, always a Charger!

Go Churchill Band!

Truth is the truth, but whatever floats your boat.

Wow, you certainly are pretty mad. Your sensitivity blinds the truth. If you truly believe nothing in life gets worse, only "changes", then I don't feel like arguing about it, but hey, at least UT fans can admit the truth about their football program! ;)

It's amazing though, how above and beyond people on this site will go to praise a program for how good it is and then simply ignore the other hundreds of bands in the state that aren't worthy of notice, apparently. heck, this site should be called ldbellcedarparkmarcus.com! The site and its members pride themselves on Texas having the "best bands" in the country through the success of competition but hey, if anyone mentions how band x did poorly in contest y, well that's just rude (even though the judges already do it)! And ya know, I bet those same people think the Texas Rangers are awesome and the Astros suck and they wouldn't be afraid to admit it. I'm not for blatantly insulting a program for the sake of it, I'm for analysis and constructive criticism, but you guys just get so butt hurt. Oh well.

When these kids start getting paid for what they do, then we can criticize a little more freely. But hey, I guess it's okay to put down 16 and 17 year old kids like they are football players. You are comparing professional athletes, who get paid the big bucks, and high school students who simply do this for either the thrill of competition or the P.E. credit.

Well, I suppose I should've tried to catch them at UIL then. I can't help but find it odd that there are different versions of a show, but whatever directors feel they need to do to try to impress and win competitions. I understand making changes. All bands make changes as the year goes, but actually having two different "versions" seems odd to me. Seems it would be a more balanced competition if there was a more specific time limit than "between 7-11 minutes long."

I wanted to add that Richland also has a very nice show this year. Trinity sounds very good, as well. They are definitely improving. Even under the shadow of their State champ football team, they stand out. I'll get to see Colleyville Heritage's show the night before BOA, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Nothing beats getting to see the bands perform at competition, though. I can't stand the rudeness of the crowds at football games. I wish all the bands the very best! May all the performers be able to calm their nerves and put their best show out on the field. Good luck!

By different version i meant that they will start later in their show and not at the beginning and sometimes will cut out any fancy field exits they have and just hightail it off the field.

(Just for clarification)

And i would have to agree with your assessment of the Trinity band, i was very impressed with their show when i saw it.

That's a different topic. Are you saying once players get paid, it's no longer about the "thrill of competition"? I'm just wondering because I didn't know making money for something warranted criticism. I always thought the performance did, regardless of $$$

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that criticism of paid athletes is part of the job. It's basically written in to the contract, especially in those sports where the star players are forced to hold press conferences win, lose, or draw. Professionals have to answer to millions of fans and investors when they don't perform at a high level. If a student screws up a solo during a performance, that student has absolutely zero obligation to get on this website and explain what happened. We don't expect the student to do that.

So criticism is warranted by contracts. In any other case, criticism (or speculation, analysis, constructive criticism, what have you) is wrong.

When criticizing in any other situation, it must be done with careful tact. Otherwise, people can take your comments way out of context and get super defensive. This isn't Orangebloods.com, where people can bash A&M at will and make Michael Vick jokes about their mascot.

--quote removed per request--

Sounds like you're very excited about your program, and that's great. :) Unfortunately, I wasn't at Arlington. I do remember last year when y'all played through that crazy weather at UIL Area, though. I was truly impressed. I would love to see more bands that haven't "always won everything" place well in competitions. I'm ready to see some new names up top.

Of course, I'm hoping one of those names is Haltom. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing a preview link, but I enjoy the shows live so much more. Looking forward to seeing your band in competition. :)

Good luck to Plano East!

Edited by HHSBandMom225