2011 BOA San Antonio

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another band worth mentioning is the six-time Colorado state champion Air Academy. They've won 3 out of the last 4 state championships in Colorado so they could be another band considered on the "bubble".

I love Air Academy! They have two BOA Regional Championships within the last five years as well as those Colorado State Titles. The school is located on the campus of the United States Air Force Academy so I suggest you guys yell very loud as they enter the field!!

I love Air Academy! They have two BOA Regional Championships within the last five years as well as those Colorado State Titles. The school is located on the campus of the United States Air Force Academy so I suggest you guys yell very loud as they enter the field!!

Yep, this band looks, marches, and sounds very good. I definitely would NOT count them out of the mix in SA.

Looks like there might be some shades of Round Rock's 'The Dragon' show from last year in their show.

I think they won the Pomona Festival this year. Does anyone know for sure?

Churchill used to be an elite program in both UIL and BOA. I'm not saying the program is bad at all, I'm simply stating that it has slid quite a bit from great to good. This was made clear to me last year at their Area D contest. The sound quality of the winds was simply not as clear and precise as they used to be and their marching was not up to par in comparison to however long prior to the departure of their previous director and this showed in their placements in both UIL and BOA contests, especially Grand Nationals where they were not exactly close to placing in finals, where they used to get in to quite often when they went. This wasn't just last year, but in '08 and '09 their decline in placements was obviously due to this. They placed 5 spots lower in UIL State in '08 from '06. Now most would say, at that time, that obviously some programs simply have down years and/or other programs had up years, but this has been consistent, so it's not wrong for someone to say Churchill is not a lock. In fact, I say they probably place a few spots outside of finals and if they do happen to make it, it won't be higher than 10th, but I doubt they make it anyway.

Well is it really Churchill getting worse, or everyone else catching up and getting better?

Quite the assertion, have any evidence to support? With the evidence you gave, both options are possibilities.

2008, Churchill places 8th in UIL state finals. They also placed 5th in SA, a usual area of placement for them in the time. 2009, Churchill loses Mike Sloan and Albert Lo, and gains a temp color guard director and Brian Pollard. Churchill places 9th in Houston, and 13th in finals. Next year, they lose another band director, their drumline director Chris Reshulte, and place 6th in Houston and 11th in SA finals. They definitely hit hard in the transition in 09, and obviously aren't as good as they used to be, but to say they're still getting worse would mean that they either would get 14th or not make finals at all in 2010 Houston and SA, but they did, and were significantly better than their previous year. I think they're slowly getting better, but with the new staff this year I think the process is sure to speed up within the next few years.

I don't think it matters this much. I for one don't care if a band places 1st or 50th, if its good music and has good drill then I'm happy to have seen the band perform. If I'm a kid from Churchill I'm starting to get sick and tired of the topic being about locks, bubbles, and Churchill decline....That is all, I will go back to letting you kids have at it

I don't think they're getting worse anymore, I think they've hit around where they're going to be at for awhile. I think you forgot to mention they didn't make state from an Area D depleted of Cedar Park and Vista Ridge, two state eligible bands from the previous Area D in '08, though I don't think Ridge is at that level anymore, but it's just something to think about. I thought their 2010 show was awesome, but it wasn't performed at the same level before the departure of Lo. I don't know if their show this year can really do much either. Seen the most updated version of it and... eh. I don't know about the future, but all I know is that there has been a definite drop off from between '08 and the last 3-4 years, which are certainly not simply down years.

Why does everyone think our 10 show was awesome? haha, that was my final show, but to be honest, most of the band kids had doubt about it after State. (that doubt didnt mean majority of us didnt perform it to the best of our abilities haha) I personally felt like the drill was too simple, and that the music was too repetitive, and that for a roman coiliseum how, there couldve been more "story" to it. but thats just me, i've seen this years show, only to houston, (MFA fan network) but to what ppl at churchill have told me, I cant wait to see its final product. I wished we did that show last year instead of coliseum, but then it would've been awkward when plymouth canton and churchill both played the same closer at GN....

Music from 300 was the main theme right? If the case, 300 was difinitely not the best movie ever, but it was one of the coolest. Don't need concert band music to have a respectable show... which I never knew why any band did that anyways. Kinda defeats the whole difference of concert season and marching season.

I think some bands do it when visuals isnt their strong suit, but still wanna march and be a good band. But I never really liked taking music from movies, the only part I really like was the ballad

Music from 300 was the main theme right? If the case, 300 was difinitely not the best movie ever, but it was one of the coolest. Don't need concert band music to have a respectable show... which I never knew why any band did that anyways. Kinda defeats the whole difference of concert season and marching season.

Can we PLEASE move on to another topic.....this is so stale! How about a subject about bands that have significantly improved in the past 2-3 years......

Can we PLEASE move on to another topic.....this is so stale! How about a subject about bands that have significantly improved in the past 2-3 years......

Based on what *I* have seen, the "Bubble" bands that I think have the best chances are: (in no particular order)

(Only using reagan as a comparison because they are pretty consistent and this thread assumes them as a lock)

-The Woodlands H.S., TX (always good)

-Leander H.S., TX (Placed 3 points behind Reagan @ vista ridge)

-Westlake H.S., TX (Placed higher than reagan @ vista ridge)

-Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX (always good)

-Anderson H.S., TX (2nd @ cap city? I dont remember)

-Round Rock H.S., TX (Placed higher than reagan @ vista ridge, although lower music scores than expected)

Pflugerville had to pull out of grand nats, which I think is really unfortunate :|

Here are the finals recap from Vista. http://schools.roundrockisd.org/rrhs/band/...alsRecap079.pdf

Thoughts?

Edited by CentexBandKid

Based on what *I* have seen, the "Bubble" bands that I think have the best chances are: (in no particular order)

(Only using reagan as a comparison because they are pretty consistent and this thread assumes them as a lock)

-Leander H.S., TX (Placed 3 points behind Reagan @ vista ridge, high music scores, 7/300ths behind Cedar Park in music)

-Round Rock H.S., TX (Placed higher than reagan @ vista ridge, although lower music scores than expected)

Pflugerville had to pull out of grand nats, which I think is really unfortunate :|

Here are the finals recap from Vista. http://schools.roundrockisd.org/rrhs/band/...alsRecap079.pdf

Thoughts?

Is this based on the first post of the thread? IF so, I think SFA should be put in the lock, grand nats finalists and constant finalist for BOA SA, Round Rock, when I saw them at area last year, totally shocked me, I think they can be great this year. Woodlands Id put in the lock too

Is this based on the first post of the thread? IF so, I think SFA should be put in the lock, grand nats finalists and constant finalist for BOA SA, Round Rock, when I saw them at area last year, totally shocked me, I think they can be great this year. Woodlands Id put in the lock too

Yes, it is based on the original post. I was at vista ridge. Westlake and Lake Travis were amazing, definitely getting to that level of prestige that people associate with Vandegrift and CP. Out of the bottom 5 bands, Leander definitely shone through. They sounded great. (the recap proves it) and their show (I think it's called "Russia") this year is very well put together... very BOA-esque. I would not be surprised at all to see them in San Antonio finals. Reagan's show was awesome as usual. They have a little visual cleaning to do in the next three weeks, but they're definitely in good shape to end up in finals once again.

Overall very impressed with the Area D bands this year. Seems like everyone is stepping it up.

Edited by CentexBandKid

-Leander H.S., TX (Placed 3 points behind Reagan @ vista ridge)

Thoughts?

Having witnessed Saturday's contest at Vista Ridge first hand as well, I think predicting the BOA chances of any of the bands that participated in the VRMF based on their resulting scores and rank positions, in prelims and/or finals, would yield dubious results at best.

Am I being cryptic enough?

Having witnessed Saturday's contest at Vista Ridge first hand as well, I think predicting the BOA chances of any of the bands that participated in the VRMF based on their resulting scores and rank positions, in prelims and/or finals, would yield dubious results at best.

Yes but "CentexBandKid" also watched all the shows.... so he had to have some opinion into how the bands were going to do...

I see what you did there. The BOA judging system is quite unique. You might see a radical change in some programs' numbers at the Super Regional. Trying to guess how well bands are going to do at a BOA Regional based off of results from shows that use a completely different judging system is not very accurate.

I hate to say this but I am wary of results from judging sheets that have an "Auxiliary" caption.

I agree. I'm going to re-iterate a point that I made earlier in this thread.

There are going to be a lot of really good bands at BOA San Antonio. I think everyone needs to raise their bar for what they consider a "bubble" band because there competition is going to be fierce.