AISD All-City Band 2005/2006

Okay back in high school I was in the all-city band either in 2005 or 2006. We played a piece that I cannot remember the name of and it's KILLING ME. lol I really want to look up the piece and hear it. And I can hear the music in my head but for the life of me cannot remember the name of the piece or composer. If anyone knows what the AISD All-City Band's programs were for 2005/2006 it would be much appreciated. The name of the guest director for the band that year would possibly help too.

Or you can help me guess what the piece was. Here's all the clues I can give you(which probably won't help at all) and they might be totally wrong but I might as well throw it out there:

- It's a "spacey" type of music.

- might have "celestial," "cosmic," or something of that nature in the title

- beginning starts off aggressive with a syncopated beat

- has an oboe duet that sounds very martiany

- there is a beautiful but short english horn solo that has the low brass holding chords in the back ground

- later theres a long oboe solo

- I think(key word) there might be a whole movement for piano

um that's really all i can remember =/ any help is a appreciated

Edited by BassoonPadwan

Sounds like Galactic Empires by David Gillingham

Okay back in high school I was in the all-city band either in 2005 or 2006. We played a piece that I cannot remember the name of and it's KILLING ME. lol I really want to look up the piece and hear it. And I can hear the music in my head but for the life of me cannot remember the name of the piece or composer. If anyone knows what the AISD All-City Band's programs were for 2005/2006 it would be much appreciated. The name of the guest director for the band that year would possibly help too.

Or you can help me guess what the piece was. Here's all the clues I can give you(which probably won't help at all) and they might be totally wrong but I might as well throw it out there:

- It's a "spacey" type of music.

- might have "celestial," "cosmic," or something of that nature in the title

- beginning starts off aggressive with a syncopated beat

- has an oboe duet that sounds very martiany

- there is a beautiful but short english horn solo that has the low brass holding chords in the back ground

- later theres a long oboe solo

- I think(key word) there might be a whole movement for piano

um that's really all i can remember =/ any help is a appreciated

Very few recordings exist...It's relatively new (1998 I believe) and was popular when it came out, but since it didn't find a permanent spot on many of the big state PMLs, it fell out of common performance. Because it didn't make the PML cut and due to its combination of being too difficult for [non-Texas] High Schools to add to their Spring rep in addition to their prepared contest reps, and also because many colleges that could play it found it lacking in musically redeeming qualities, very few notable recordings have been/are being made.

The UNT Wind Symphony performed it live at the 1999 WASBE conference held in San Luis Obispo, California during that year. That recording is available on Mark Custom for $15. I have no clue how it sounds, though if it's UNT I imagine it's pretty good.

http://www.markcustom.com/

Poteet did a marching version of it.....I think back in 2005 or 2006.

Yea I found that recording the same day I made that post and ordered it. Order just came in today and I'm very satisfied with it! For a while there I was watching youtube videos but always wanted a good recording.

Was thinking about uploading this recording of Galactic to youtube. Is there something unethical about that? I mean I'm just putting it up on youtube, not for download. And I'd put a link to the amazon page where I bought it in case somebody wants the recording. I just feel like there's no decent recordings out there so I wanted to put one on youtube.