Area B marching contest

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no rain during LD Bell's show......

Sorry I didn't mean to say Bell received third because of rain or lack of.

I meant do y'all think the rain affected the scoring in general, like with other bands. I mean it is disruptive and could be disruptive to judging especially when judging is often comparative.

Edited by whitewing09

WOW Bell taking home 3rd...

Do you think the rain had anything to do with the placements? Not to say that the playing was necessarily significantly affected, but the rain was extremely disruptive. I guess we'll see at the dome!

The rain didn't start until after both Bell and Marcus performed.

Congratulations to all bands!!

Sorry I didn't mean to say Bell received third because of rain or lack of.

I meant do y'all think the rain affected the scoring in general, like with other bands. I mean it is disruptive and could be disruptive to judging especially when judging is often comparative.

Actually i think it probably played a huge role, especially with the wet field, the slick turf, the winds, etc. My hat goes off to ALL band members that performed today, especially those that had to wait through the hours worth of rain delays.

HUGE props to Plano East for marching a great show in a hurricane!

Trivia question I would love to know, when was the last time Bell placed third in any competition other than Grand Nats?

Agreed! Someone over at East told me that it was the coolest performance any of them had ever had. :lol:

Edited by Mellophone77

QUITE surprised at scores. I didn't get the chance to see the first two blocks which includes "finalists" Bell, Marcus, FM, and Martin, so i'll ignore them for now. Hebron was pretty good. not great, and most definitely not beat Bell great. Plano East was AMAZING especially considering the hurricane conditions they marched in. I was REALLY hoping they would qualify. Richland is one of my favorite shows this year and i really don't understand why it hasnt been doing very well this season. Haltom left much to desired, and i was shocked that advanced. Mansfield seemed about right in the rankings. Grapevine was quite good and i'm not surprised at all to see them finish in the top 10.

Personally, of the bands I saw that were finals contenders, I had them ranked as follows-

1. Richland

2. Plano East

3. Hebron

4. Mansfield

5. Grapevine

6. Legacy

7. Haltom

8. McKinney Boyd

9. Allen

even when you throw in earlier bands that i didn't see today like Colleyville, Martin, Flower Mound, Marcus, Bell, I find the final placements incredibly surprising. Just my opinion, and congrats to ALL bands competing and state qualifiers Marcus, Hebron, Bell and Haltom. It was a pleasure to host you.

Crazy day today at Area B. I saw almost every show and a few thoughts:

-Bell apparantly cut off the entire first part of their show today to get within time. They started at a different point today than at BOA Arlington and the show simply didn't have the same flow.

-Plano East probably got the short end of the stick today. The storm/tornado came in halfway through their show and they fought through it. I personally had them ahead of Haltom and on par with Hebron and I'm certain they make state if not for the storm.

-I was also very impressed with Mansfield's show and had them ahead of Haltom. Their drill has some very unstructured portions and I pondered at the time if that would hurt them. Haltom's show is more traditional and that evidently worked well for them today.

-Hebron's music and drill are so technically challenging that the schools going before and after them look like they are moving at half speed. They certainly were rewarded today for their ambition. Musically, they are very strong and that plays well at the UIL level. 5A Honor Band indeed.

-My compliments to Richland for a very creative show that certainly stretched the boundries. They had some breakdowns toward the end that obviously hurt them, but the show is very enjoyable.

Edited by Statebound