Mesquite Tips

Hey this if for those of you who haven't posted on Mesquite marching festival. Poteet, North Mesquite, Mesquite, John Horn, and West Mesquite(like they could) can't win anything. They are hosting and arent allowed to win any captions or class awards, but can finish 1-10 but wont get any trophies.

Duncanville is the favorite followed by coppell, and rowlett, and in area these 3 schools plus Berkner will clash for 3 spots to state, most of the time. It's been sometime since 4 schools went to state out of this area.

I wish they bring back Lewisville, Allen, and Plano ISD, but I don't make the area lines.

Edited by TxRaider13

Coppell was fourth in prelims and first in finals (according to the scores here). And do judges in UIL really score to the thousandths place? I know the Area D music judge pretty much scored each band from 901-910 but I can't imagine a judge would go out of their way to make the scores that close... :P

Allen's going to be there also, though they're in Area B. Always a fun group to watch ^_^ My alma mater will be there and it should be a good show as well.

Edited by Mellophone77

There are no decimal points or even official raw scores in UIL competitions. And as Mellophone77 said, Coppell was 1st in Area C Finals in 2008. Rowlett went from 1st in Prelims to 4th in Finals.

Also, it is possible that Area C could send 4 bands to State, not just 3. It all depends on how many bands make it to and attend Area C.

There are no decimal points or even official raw scores in UIL competitions. And as Mellophone77 said, Coppell was 1st in Area C Finals in 2008. Rowlett went from 1st in Prelims to 4th in Finals.

Also, it is possible that Area C could send 4 bands to State, not just 3. It all depends on how many bands make it to and attend Area C.

I'm well aware of the schools allowed thing but here are all the schools that even make area around here.

Coppell, Duncanville, The Richardson ISD 5A schools, Garland ISD schools(and only like 2 make it, Sachse, and Rowlett) Longview, Lufkin, Tyler ISD, Mesquite high, North Mesquite, and John Horn from Mesquite, and if any Dallas school decides to try!

As for the scores, I was getting them from my friend off the area score sheet they posted in the band hall at Rowlett High that year, so that was all I had to go off of, and I find it hard to believe Duncanville was over taken by Coppel that year, but I have also seen some pretty crazy things happen at contest that I have been to over the years.

Edited by TxRaider13

In 2008, there were 18 bands that attended Area C. All it takes is 2 more bands to advance to and attend (there are a few bands in Area C that earn the right to advance but refuse to attend) this year for 4 to go to State.

In 2008, Region 20 only advanced 4 bands (Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, and South Grand Prairie) to Area C.

In 2009, though, Region 20 had 7 bands (Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Irving Nimitz, and South Grand Prairie) make a Division I rating. Also, Irving HS made great strides forward and only barely missed making a Division I.

Those extra bands only would squarely put Area C over the 20 bands required to send 4 to State. And just to make it even better, Midlothian moved up from 4A to 5A this year and they consistently make Division I ratings and so will also very likely add another band to the Area C attendance.

I am very confident that Area C will take 4 bands to State this year and if not, then it will be a travesty with only 19 bands causing another heart break for that 4th band in Finals.

In 2008, there were 18 bands that attended Area C. All it takes is 2 more bands to advance to and attend (there are a few bands in Area C that earn the right to advance but refuse to attend) this year for 4 to go to State.

In 2008, Region 20 only advanced 4 bands (Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, and South Grand Prairie) to Area C.

In 2009, though, Region 20 had 7 bands (Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Irving Nimitz, and South Grand Prairie) make a Division I rating. Also, Irving HS made great strides forward and only barely missed making a Division I.

Those extra bands only would squarely put Area C over the 20 bands required to send 4 to State. And just to make it even better, Midlothian moved up from 4A to 5A this year and they consistently make Division I ratings and so will also very likely add another band to the Area C attendance.

I am very confident that Area C will take 4 bands to State this year and if not, then it will be a travesty with only 19 bands causing another heart break for that 4th band in Finals.

I agree, but thats what makes it fun for those who aren't in high school anymore. I love trying to pick apart a judges brain to see who they put into finals/state and why. Your right, it would be a heartbreaking contest, if only 3 go to state in an area that always deserves to send atleast 4

"Garland ISD schools(and only like 2 make it, Sachse, and Rowlett)"

I disagree. Beside Sachse and Rowlett, you can ALWAYS count on Garland Naaman Forest making a 1 at UIL, and I would think that Garland HS and Lakeview would be there as well.

I think all the Garland schools except North and South Garland will be at the Area round.

Don't discount what you do not know as fact.

"Garland ISD schools(and only like 2 make it, Sachse, and Rowlett)"

I disagree. Beside Sachse and Rowlett, you can ALWAYS count on Garland Naaman Forest making a 1 at UIL, and I would think that Garland HS and Lakeview would be there as well.

I think all the Garland schools except North and South Garland will be at the Area round.

Don't discount what you do not know as fact.

This year, after watching all but Naaman, I wouldn't be shocked if all of GISD made it to area, the Garland schools made me put my foot in my mouth, and told me to like it. It will be a great thing to see at area, plus that may give the area the bands needed to advance 4 or more to state.(If Dallas would actually come to area and not stop after Region)