Hurricane Rita

Skippy

Better to ruin a football game than a MARCHING COMPETITION !!!
amen to that.

i'm having people from houston come and stay in our house for a few days while this thing blows over. not to sound insensitive or anything but i wonder what they're going to do about BOA Houston? good luck to all the houston evacuees!

My family and I evacuated to stay with family in Dallas. It took us 9 hours just to get to Montgomery! Our homecoming was supposed to be this weekend... in fact, were it not for the hurricane I'd be at the football stadium in my uniform right now. But at least there might be not quite as much damage now that the storm's moved more east. I hope everyone affected stays safe.

We had evacuated to my grandmother's house in lufkin. 13 hours to make a 3 hr drive. The eye of the hurricane went right over lufkin. We would have been way better off if we would have just stayed in spring. My grandma's garage and like 5 trees on her property fell over, but we're fine. I pray that all of you guys are ok too!!!

I live in Channelview (east of Houston) and all we got was some trees down and power outages. I'm soo thankful nothing else happened! The only thing I didn't like was going to Fairfield..it took us 8 hours to get there when it's normally a 3 hour drive. YUCK! We took the back roads and stuff to avoid going I-45 (I've heard horror stories on the traffic) but everyone had the same idea, apparently.

on the bright side, the hurricane caused my band to finally get all their crap out of the band hall because we all evacuated. it was so weird the last school day we had before we all had to evacuate because all the horns were going home or being put on all the top shelves and everyone was in panic mode trying to save all the show stuff. it was very surreal. i was so worried the whole time that we wouldn't be back in time for BOA. luckily the bandhall is fine and we are going back to practice as soon as we can and our student leaders are putting the bh back together tomorrow, so im happy. i swear, i am the ultimate band nerd... my marching shoes were a part of the essentials i brought with me when we were leaving just in case i decided to stay and join Centerville for a few months... overall Rita missed me completely and i live in Galveston County, definately a God thing... prayer works. BOA i do believe is continuing, the stadium is fine, but don't quote me on that.

Made it back home, and the worst thing that happened is that our yard and pool were a mess. But at least I had a house to come back to! We don't have school today or tomorrow, which means we'll have about 3 days to learn and memorize the music and drill for our show's 3rd movement before our first contest on Saturday. Yeah, something tells me the BDs will be in a really good mood this week. <_<

After five days of complete chaos, I am home. You have no idea how fortunate I am to still have an apartment to go back to. I hope everyone that lives on the Gulf Coast made it out safely. Leaving Angleton on Wednesday afternoon was a mess. It normally takes an hour to get to Houston, but on Wednesday it took 5 1/2-6 hours. My friend even called me on Wednesday and told me that he was in his car for 13 hours and had only traveled 25 miles. Insane. Evacuating one of the largest metropolitan areas in United States is no easy task.

Although we dodged the bullet big time on this one, I feel bad for those East of us. It's very very unforunate that Louisiana has to suffer through another hurricane.

Again, I hope everyone has a safe trip back and that your homes are okay.

By the way, I called BOA earlier and the Houston Regional is scheduled to take place. But if any changes occur, they will post it on their website and band directors will be notified ASAP.

The traffic was ridiculous, it took us 13 hours to get to San Antonio, normally a 3 hour drive. And this was not taking a major freeway, which probably would have taken twice as long.

It's sad that people in Lousiana had to suffer again, and that it went East to Beaumont, but I see it as the "best" case scenario. Lots of people from LA are still displaced, and had it stayed as a category 5 and rammed straight into Houston... we'd be looking at a major disaster as it is an extremely populated area.

I just feel really bad about that bus accident though, that was horrible. :(

And yes, it is a shame that we've lost many hours of rehearsal, but that comes in 2nd to how lucky we are to have avoided the storm and have everyone safe.