BOA Arlington who do u think will make finals

Your knack for calling these contests is uncanny ^^.

You placed 2nd in the TxB Predictions Contest last year, and you're currently in the top 10 in this Fall's contest out of over 250 players as of the most recent count.

I expect nothing less B) .

Haha thanks.

My goal is to win predictions and get that T-Shirt!

I just wish I could've put in my predictions for ToC before it closed. Oh well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So any comments on Haltom's performance?

Ok, I will post my opinions on the finalist. Again, these are only my opinions.

Mansfield: The colorguard stoled the show. They were on fire in their finals performance. I only saw maybe two-three drops compared to prelims where there were maybe 15. The band did well. There were some nice moments. And there were obvious moments when they were some distorted sounds and cleaning still needs to be done. The visual seems okay so far. A little messy in some areas. But overall, you all did good. You for sure deserved your final placement.

Haltom: I really enjoyed the visual aspect of your show. There were some cool parts. Even with that, there were some parts that were boring. I wasn't as excited about your show this time around as I usually am. The music was just okay for me. Maybe there were way too many solos?? I hope to see you in the top (top 5) again where you belong and make north texas proud. Unfortunately I don't see that happening this year. But you never know - right?

Colleyville Heritage: I liked your props. There were some nice moments in your show. Congrats on finally making finals again. I think your show still needs some cleaner playing. Some areas were weak, but overall you all did good.

Wakeland: Wow, I was very surprised to see you all in finals. And then you all beat Haltom. Wow. But I do have to admit, I loved Carmina Burana. My favorite part of the show. The whole queen and the dying thing seemed a little amateur for me. Hopefully you all can make that more exciting.

Richland: You all produce some very nice sounds throughout your show. There are a few distorted sounds - hopefully you can improve on that. I love the colorguard direction. I'm glad Mike is there at Richland now. Yes, the whole show is very, very similar to Churchill's style. The colorguard seemed very inexperienced and scared - especially in prelims.

Marcus: I love your sound. You all create such beautiful moments. I'm not sure if your standstill during the Wedding March hurt you score wise. I know the show is not all out there yet, but it is boring to me. Good thing you all play well. I'm a big fan and I hope you spice it up. I don't like the guy with the yellow shako. You all try to bring back last years drum major outfit change thing and it worked - last year. But this year, it just seems dumb. I can't wait to see your complete show at GN.

Hebron: Wow, you all have improved musically so much. I love your sound this year. You all did an amazing job. Keep it up Hebron and you might break into the top three at SA. Keep on cleaning.

Berkner: You all can play well. Great sounds. You have improved visually for sure. But still, far from the top three bands.

Bell: I love your visual package. When it is all cleaned up, you are unstoppable visually. Well, at least here in Texas. Maybe Texas will finally win a Visual caption award at GN Finals!!! I really enjoyed it. Musically, you all sounded really controlled and good. However, your sound was only p-mf. I am assuming you were all holding back like you all have done in the past. And then, at SA you are super loud. I hope that is the case this year. But, you all can play. And for sure give Marcus a run for their money - musically. I am a huge fan I wish you all the best of luck this year.

Coppell: You all can play LOUD. I love your sound. The tempo of your show was way too slow. And I also thought your show was very boring. Good thing you all can play. Spice it up - please.

Ok, I will post my opinions on the finalist. Again, these are only my opinions.

Mansfield: The colorguard stoled the show. They were on fire in their finals performance. I only saw maybe two-three drops compared to prelims where there were maybe 15. The band did well. There were some nice moments. And there were obvious moments when they were some distorted sounds and cleaning still needs to be done. The visual seems okay so far. A little messy in some areas. But overall, you all did good. You for sure deserved your final placement.

Haltom: I really enjoyed the visual aspect of your show. There were some cool parts. Even with that, there were some parts that were boring. I wasn't as excited about your show this time around as I usually am. The music was just okay for me. Maybe there were way too many solos?? I hope to see you in the top (top 5) again where you belong and make north texas proud. Unfortunately I don't see that happening this year. But you never know - right?

Colleyville Heritage: I liked your props. There were some nice moments in your show. Congrats on finally making finals again. I think your show still needs some cleaner playing. Some areas were weak, but overall you all did good.

Wakeland: Wow, I was very surprised to see you all in finals. And then you all beat Haltom. Wow. But I do have to admit, I loved Carmina Burana. My favorite part of the show. The whole queen and the dying thing seemed a little amateur for me. Hopefully you all can make that more exciting.

Richland: You all produce some very nice sounds throughout your show. There are a few distorted sounds - hopefully you can improve on that. I love the colorguard direction. I'm glad Mike is there at Richland now. Yes, the whole show is very, very similar to Churchill's style. The colorguard seemed very inexperienced and scared - especially in prelims.

Marcus: I love your sound. You all create such beautiful moments. I'm not sure if your standstill during the Wedding March hurt you score wise. I know the show is not all out there yet, but it is boring to me. Good thing you all play well. I'm a big fan and I hope you spice it up. I don't like the guy with the yellow shako. You all try to bring back last years drum major outfit change thing and it worked - last year. But this year, it just seems dumb. I can't wait to see your complete show at GN.

Hebron: Wow, you all have improved musically so much. I love your sound this year. You all did an amazing job. Keep it up Hebron and you might break into the top three at SA. Keep on cleaning.

Berkner: You all can play well. Great sounds. You have improved visually for sure. But still, far from the top three bands.

Bell: I love your visual package. When it is all cleaned up, you are unstoppable visually. Well, at least here in Texas. Maybe Texas will finally win a Visual caption award at GN Finals!!! I really enjoyed it. Musically, you all sounded really controlled and good. However, your sound was only p-mf. I am assuming you were all holding back like you all have done in the past. And then, at SA you are super loud. I hope that is the case this year. But, you all can play. And for sure give Marcus a run for their money - musically. I am a huge fan I wish you all the best of luck this year.

Coppell: You all can play LOUD. I love your sound. The tempo of your show was way too slow. And I also thought your show was very boring. Good thing you all can play. Spice it up - please.

So I'm not trying to be rude but why on some descriptions must you be so cruel? Besides alot of people know that alot of bands break out of their shell later than others so we can't exactly judge right now. Like the yellow shako deal may just sell Marcus' show. Like I said it's too early to judge.

So I'm not trying to be rude but why on some descriptions must you be so cruel? Besides alot of people know that alot of bands break out of their shell later than others so we can't exactly judge right now. Like the yellow shako deal may just sell Marcus' show. Like I said it's too early to judge.

It's just his opinion so I wouldn't worry about it too much and at least he is being honest

was ur wow at wakeland a good wow or a bad wow? and what did u think musical and visual wise of their show?

It is a good wow. I was wowed because I never heard of you and to see you all in finals was nice. Keep working!! Make North Texas proud!

Oh, and musically is your strong point I think. You all have a good sound. Still weak in some areas. And visually it was okay. It could be more visually pleasing and more difficult. But hey, you're a 4A school and newish. So, keep working.

Edited by dtexas4444

bad??? no, they are the truth...how i feel...i'm just honest...not sugar coating it...and how folks felt around me..

I think the point some people are trying to make is that every person in these bands you've critiqued has worked their butt off to produce the highest quality show they possibly could, and your comments basically cut half of them off at the knees and let them fall on their faces. And yes, some of your comments can and are being taken as rude and insensitive. Maybe you should take a page out of Sanchez's book and focus your critique on the positive aspects of the performance unless you're commenting on specific musical or visual elements that can be improved (such as intonation, style, or forms). Then you would at least be helpful, unlike the usually acidic comments one would see from newspaper music critics.

On a last note, it's obvious that the judges disagree with you on several counts here, as well. Berkner, for instance, ranked 3rd in prelims and 4th in finals. I had an opportunity to hear them in warm up and have to say they sounded flat out amazing while standing still. They more than deserved their spot in the top 3 earlier in the day. Also, Coppell may have a lackluster visual package as usual, but, if I remember correctly, both the music GE judges ranked them in the top four. Obviously the musical portion of the show wasn't boring. Finally, you straight up say that you know Marcus hasn't put the whole show on the field but then say that it's boring and ineffective... Really!? Of course you aren't going to experience the show's intended effect when only half of it is performed. Why be so critical of something that's only partially complete? It just seems negative to me, even if it is "just your opinion".

This is just MY opinion, of course, but if you're going to continue to comment on band performances in the future, I think and would personally prefer that you be more supportive and encouraging of the hard work everyone puts into their respective shows.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that every person in these bands you've critiqued has worked their butt off to produce the highest quality show they possibly could, and your comments basically cut half of them off at the knees and let them fall on their faces. And yes, some of your comments can and are being taken as rude and insensitive. Maybe you should take a page out of Sanchez's book and focus your critique on the positive aspects of the performance unless you're commenting on specific musical or visual elements that can be improved (such as intonation, style, or forms). Then you would at least be helpful, unlike the usually acidic comments one would see from newspaper music critics.

On a last note, it's obvious that the judges disagree with you on several counts here, as well. Berkner, for instance, ranked 3rd in prelims and 4th in finals. I had an opportunity to hear them in warm up and have to say they sounded flat out amazing while standing still. They more than deserved their spot in the top 3 earlier in the day. Also, Coppell may have a lackluster visual package as usual, but, if I remember correctly, both the music GE judges ranked them in the top four. Obviously the musical portion of the show wasn't boring. Finally, you straight up say that you know Marcus hasn't put the whole show on the field but then say that it's boring and ineffective... Really!? Of course you aren't going to experience the show's intended effect when only half of it is performed. Why be so critical of something that's only partially complete? It just seems negative to me, even if it is "just your opinion".

This is just MY opinion, of course, but if you're going to continue to comment on band performances in the future, I think and would personally prefer that you be more supportive and encouraging of the hard work everyone puts into their respective shows.

I am not trying to support either side but he did give positive comments to EVERY band and then something that he thought they needed to work on. If I am a performer and someone is only telling me positive things then they are not helping me out very much.

I am not trying to support either side but he did give positive comments to EVERY band and then something that he thought they needed to work on. If I am a performer and someone is only telling me positive things then they are not helping me out very much.

I'm not going to turn this discussion into an argument by sharing my opinion, and I apologize if I seemed a bit agitated. I just see the entire post as somewhat insensitive and off-putting and ask that he put a bit more forethought into his comments regarding the performances of other people.

Edited by aaron067

I said Berkner was musically awesome and visually has really improved. I NEVER said they didn't deserve the TOP 3 spot. I said their visual package was still NOT on par with BELL, MARCUS, and HEBRON.

Some folks are so sensitive - LOL. Silly.

I said Berkner was musically awesome and visually has really improved. I NEVER said they didn't deserve the TOP 3 spot. I said their visual package was still NOT on par with BELL, MARCUS, and HEBRON.

Some folks are so sensitive - LOL. Silly.

I think Hebron is a big front runner they are not to be underestimated, and im not just saying that because they are my school, we have a come a really long way and we've set the bar pretty high for ourselves. Give us your support, we wont let you down

I think Hebron is a big front runner they are not to be underestimated, and im not just saying that because they are my school, we have a come a really long way and we've set the bar pretty high for ourselves. Give us your support, we wont let you down

i remember i feel in love with hebron back in 2006 with music in every direction. that ddr show was awesome and they keep on getting better, and i'm sure soon they'll challenge marcus and bell in the very near future

i remember i feel in love with hebron back in 2006 with music in every direction. that ddr show was awesome and they keep on getting better, and i'm sure soon they'll challenge marcus and bell in the very near future.

The DDR show made us all fans. :P I just remember it receiving a standing ovation before the show was even over at BOA San Antonio that year. I can't wait to see their show this year, as it's making a lot of noise.

The DDR show made us all fans. :P I just remember it receiving a standing ovation before the show was even over at BOA San Antonio that year. I can't wait to see their show this year, as it's making a lot of noise.

The show clearly had its problems though.

But they have come a long way the past few years. Especially musically.