New Band Director at L.D. Bell HS

OK, I found the topic on The Yellow Board. Apparently one anonymous person has posted that Jeremy Earnhart (Bell's head director) has taken the Irving Fine Arts Director position but other people (also anonymous) on TYB say that they are in a position to know about the situation and claim that the rumor is not true.

At this point everything is just pure speculation and rumor without any official word or confirmation.

Interesting tidbit: At The Crossmen Preview Experience last night, Jaime Alvarez-Calderon was not only introduced as the Percussion Caption head but also as the Assistant Corps Director. I wonder if he's going to take over Earnhardt's position, if the rumor is indeed true.

Apparently, there has been a job listing posted for an opening for a HS Assistant in HEB ISD. If Jeremy Earnhart has in fact accepted the Irving ISD Fine Arts position then it is likely that Van Matthews will be the next Head Diretor for LD Bell and that would leave an Assistant position open.

Again, still speculation and there has been no official word about the Irving ISD Fine Arts position.

From L.D. Bell's band website:

Van Mathews Appointed New LD Bell Band Director

Posted on Wednesday, June 24 @ 17:45:53 CDT by webmaster

Jeremy Earnhart Moving to Irving ISD

Dr. Gene Buinger, superintendent of schools, has appointed Van Mathews as the new LD Bell High School Band Director. He replaces longtime director Jeremy Earnhart, who has taken a position as fine arts director with Irving ISD.

An Open Letter to the Bell Band Family From Jeremy Earnhart

Mathews came to HEB ISD as the Assistant Band Director for the 2008-2009 school year. Prior to joining the L.D. Bell staff, Mr. Mathews taught for eight years in the Birdville Independent School District at Haltom High School. During his tenure, the Haltom High School Marching Band remained a consistent recipient of the UIL Sweepstakes Award, attended the Texas 5A State Marching Band Contest every available opportunity from 2000-2006, achieving finalist status in 2002 and 2004, and was a Bands of America Regional and Super Regional Finalist at every contest attended. Mathews’ concert ensembles consistently received the highest ratings at the U.I.L. Concert and Sightreading Contest and have been awarded “Best in Class” at numerous concert band contests. Mathews also taught at Lewisville High School in the Lewisville Independent School District and at Lake Highlands High School in the Richardson Independent School District.

“It is with mixed emotions that we say goodbye to Jeremy Earnhart,” Mark Chandler, director of visual and performing arts, said. “His dedication, work ethic and passion for the kids have proven to be the best recipe for success with the L.D. Bell Band. I know that I speak for everyone when I say that we send with him our best wishes and heart-felt gratitude. I know that he will serve Irving ISD well as their Director of Fine Arts.”

“At the same time, we are very fortunate to have Van Mathews on the team, ready to step up and lead this great program. Mr. Mathews has a vast level of education and proven experience that he will bring as the director of bands. His passion for excellence in music education as well as his heart for family and students will prove to again provide the proper recipe for success. Together with Mr. Holt, Mr. Alvarez-Calderone and a yet un-named staff member, this team will continue the superior level of achievement that is the Bell Band, and strive for new levels of excellence.”

Mathews has a total of 18 years teaching experience in music education. He has a master’s degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a bachelors’ degree from the University of South Carolina.

He has held positions in Richardson ISD, Lewisville ISD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Cabarrus County Schools in North Carolina. Currently he is a member of the brass staff for the 12-time Drum Corps International World Champion Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps from Concord, California.

Prior to joining the Blue Devils in 2000, Mathews was the brass caption coordinator and a member of the instructional staff with the Madison Scouts from 1992-1999. He began performing in 1984 with the Suncoast Sound Drum & Bugle Corps from Pinellas Park, Florida and aged out as a member of the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps from Madison, Wisconsin. His professional affiliations include the Texas Music Educators Association, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Pi Kappa Lambda, and Gamma Beta Phi. He lives in North Richland Hills with his wife, Brenda, daughter Gabriella, and firstborn son Derek.

That is interesting.

Will Cartwright still be there? He is not on the email link on L.D. Bell website

Also what about Mike blade at marcus. Will he still be the guard instructor because on their website he is not listed anymore.

Wes Cartwright is still listed on the staff at L.D. Bell. He's not listed (and never was) under the email link because he's not a band director.

http://www.ldbellband.org/info/modules.php?name=Directors

The Bell program is in good hands. They underwent a head director change earlier this decade and the program never lost a step. The true character of a program is always revealed when their leader is absent. I don't think these guys are going to have any problem at all. I have no doubt that the program will handle this change with the utmost class. Congratulations to Van Matthews as he takes over one of the premier marching programs in the United States.

From Irving ISD:

(June 23, 2009) Interim Superintendent of Schools Dr. Neil Dugger has named Jeremy L. Earnhart, director of bands at L.D. Bell High School in the Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD, as director of fine arts for Irving ISD. Earnhart began his career in music education in 1997 with Brewer High School in Fort Worth ISD. In 1998 he became assistant band director at L.D. Bell and was director of bands in 2002. During Earnhart