USSBA Fall Texas Schedule

USSBA-Logo.gif

U.S. Scholastic Band Association 2009 Texas Fall Schedule

September 26

Central Texas Preview - Hendrickson High School, Pflugerville, Texas

North Texas Preview - Red Oak High School, Red Oak, Texas (Tentative)

October 3

South Texas Regional - La Joya High School, La Joya, Texas

Southwest Texas Regional - United ISD Stadium, Laredo, Texas

San Antonio Regional - SCUCISD Stadium, Schertz, Texas (Tentative)

North Texas Regional - Burleson High School, Burleson, Texas

October 10

Central Texas Regional - Shelton Stadium, Kyle, Texas

October 17

Houston Texas Regional - Dekaney HS, Houston, Texas

October 31

Texas State Championship - Woodforest Stadium, Conroe, Texas

Do you think that more bands than usual are going to go to the Texas State Championship because BOA SA was moved up a week?

Probably. Many directors that aren't going to Grand Nationals I think would like to extend the competitive marching season by a week. Its kind of a bummer that next years marching season won't go into November for most bands.

Do you think that more bands than usual are going to go to the Texas State Championship because BOA SA was moved up a week?

It's possible. The number of programs that regularly attend the USSBA State Championships are relatively small in Texas to begin with. However, I wouldn't expect to see a major boom in attendance. For that to happen, you'd be asking many programs to buy into the USSBA judging system and I'm not sure directors would want to have to do that for their student's final performance of the season.

• 2 months later...
For that to happen, you'd be asking many programs to buy into the USSBA judging system and I'm not sure directors would want to have to do that for their student's final performance of the season.

Well said. I doubt that USSBA's popularity in Texas will grow anytime soon for that sole reason. USSBA's adjudication philosophy simply does not fit the Texas model.

..., you'd be asking many programs to buy into the USSBA judging system and I'm not sure directors would want to have to do that for their student's final performance of the season.

I'm familiar with the arguments re:UIL judging vs. BOA judging, how does the USSBA judging differ? (Only been to a couple of USSBA events.)

------------------------------------------

I'm familiar with the arguments re:UIL judging vs. BOA judging, how does the USSBA judging differ? (Only been to a couple of USSBA events.)

My main concern with USSBA adjudication is their concept of "floating criteria." This means that the criteria for each box changes from week to week. So a mediocre group could score a 65.0 in Week 1, do absolutely nothing to improve their program, and come out again in Week 6 and score an 80.0. (Just an example, not real data.)

Secondly, weekly e-mails from the administration "coach" the adjudicators, somewhat predetermining the numbers.

Lastly, the adjudicators involved with USSBA do not go through any real formal training. There is an online "training" seminar that all judges are "required" to participate in, however this seems to have been "overlooked" for some. As a result, USSBA offers very inconsistent judging within the same caption. The same could be said for other circuits. I do believe, however, that it is not nearly to the extent that plagues USSBA.

I apologize in advance if some of this seems inaccurate. My references might be outdated, as it has been a while since I have been involved. Anyone else have similar experiences?

• 5 months later...

USSBA Houston, TX Regional

October 10, 2009

2A:

1. 77.325 - Magnolia HS

2. 73.725 - Navasota HS

3A:

1. 76.575 - Brazosport HS

3 Open:

1. 81.200 - Waller HS

4A:

1. 84.850 - Oak Ridge HS