I was absolutely astonished by LD Bell's show this year. I wanted to see if anybody was willing to explain what their show was about. I remember reading somewhere here that it was about the group's quest to their win as Grand National Champions last year, but I couldn't find that post when I was searching the board. I'd like to get a greater understanding of the theme so I can connect deeper with what I consider to be one of the greatest High School marching band shows ever performed. Thank you in advance to all who respond.

Here's what I posted about this topic back in the middle of October:

LD Bell never actually talks about the story and/or meaning of their shows, they let them speak for themselves and have the audience leave with their own impressions. So, there is never any official word on the meaning, it is just whatever anybody makes up.

That being said, here are some of my (personal) current ideas from the show:

I kind of get a feeling that at least a part of the idea behind the show is that it is a reflection on their journey through all of their previous recent shows (2000+). There are a lot of drill moves and musical moments from previous years that have come back to make some cameo appearances including the home-facing follow the leader while playing, conveyor belt drill, A Beautiful Mind, and the company forward with woodwinds snaking through it.

The seahorse prop looks like a q (for quest) with a spikey mane. The guard can often be seen dragging it on their backs like a cross that is their burden to carry. When held up, band members reach for it like a symbol of hope and reverence.

Musically, they start their quest in a paradise, move to some Jovial playing, lead into some strife, and then climaxing with the horrors of Prague before coming back down for their current tag ending. They still have another part to put onto the field, so I'm waiting to see where they go from there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...