2008-2009 All-State audition music

I love region. :]

I heart hipocritical, lying band directors, who tell you if you do well at region that you have a good chance of moving up to first band. But then when you do well and you beat everyone but like two people, jack shiii happens.

Quick word on the Oboe stuff:

Ferling No. 17 was a selection used during my Junior year, I think. Most students play this lyrical piece way too loud. If you can control your dynamics in No. 17, you'll make a nice impression on the judges.

Heh, I was wondering if I was the only one that had seen one of the pieces before. I was going to pick one of them for Solo&Ensemble when I was in Georgia, but I chose something else and my friend picked it instead. It's a shame I didn't stick with that one, but it's the easiest one anyway...

UGH! I'm glad I got out when I did.

TWO Karg-Elert ETUDES in ONE audition!?!?!?!?! That's not nice. That could technically be labeled as cruel and unusual punishment. Especially that last etude. We played that my sophomore year for our high school audition music. The feel is all screwy and the notes just don't lay well as far as fingerings.

Good luck to all the flute players this year!

I'm just excited there are no two pagers for flutes this year. They are usually so repetitive. ugh.

Don't let that 3rd etude trick you. It's extremely difficult because the feel of the beat is always on the "uh's" of the 16th notes, and it doesn't lay well fingering wise on the instrument.

I'm really enjoying the low clarinet music this year. I like the fact that its not just straight slurred 16th notes, there's still a lot of 16th notes but more articulation. And the ballad has great dynamic changes. I can actually make music out of this years pieces.

Edited by rpd