How do I get my toung faster!? And another tempo question.

TRtrumpet

Like alot of you, I have area on January 5th, and I'm in some pretty desperate need for some advice. How do I get my toung to go faster? The fast etude's written speed in 116, and I can play it like that if I double toung the whole thing, but my director said not to do that cause it doesn't sound as good. He said I need to toung in regulary, and I have to admit, it does sound better. But I need to some advice on how to get my single toung faster before then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and another question.

I've never been to area before (cause I havn't tried out for region since 7th grade until this year), so I don't really know what my competition is going to be like. At region there was like 3 really good people (I got 2nd), and the like a huge gap and everyone else was pretty bad. I'm assuming at area, there's going to be alot more competition, but are they all going to play it at 116? And should I aim to get it at 116? My lesson teacher said to play it at 97, cause it's a fast enough speed to where the etude doesn't loose it's feel, and I can still be musical... but I don't know. That worrys me. Cause I figured the judges would want to hear it at 116, considring that's what written. What's you're opinon?

Thanks.

honestly, whenver I get my region music, I play it where I feel that the tempo fits best, not what the judges want. The tempos they set are usually unrealistic, and make the music compeltely miss the point.

Aim for 116 if you want to, but I probably wouldn't.

This is generally the generic answer to most band problems, but the only thing I can think of is using a faster air stream. It usually works for me when I think about that.

Also keep your tongue forward. The Paris Conservatory championed Arban's method for Trumpet tonguing and this treatise was originally written in French.....in his treatises he explains that the tonguing must be performed with a "too" syllable. The kicker here is that in French they don't have a concrete "T" sound (as in "Tantalizing")....it's more similar to, though not entirely like the "th" sound (as in "thong") in English (those of you who've taken French can probably better explain what I'm talking about). But either way, the tongue placement is more similar to what you'd do when articulating a "thoo" sound rather than a "too" sound.....your tongue is so far forward it's practically in-between your teeth. This method has created some of the finest Trumpet virtuosos the world over so it's probably a pretty reliable suggestion. The "th" sound isn't necessarily as important as just keeping your tongue as far forward as possible. I find there's much more flexibility to be gained from this type of articulation though it does take a while to get used to.

• 3 months later...