Pre-season predictions

TRUMPet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction: Wherever the Cavies place, Phantom will be one spot below them. (See results starting with 2005)

Given the fact that in the recent past the Cadets' sequal shows have dropped four spots from the show they're doing a sequal of, I'm putting them sixth.

Wagering Cavies first (they always win the years after they don't in this millenium [2004, 2006])...ergo, Phantom second (wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream, can't I?)

Based on that, plus some rough guesses:

1) The Cavaliers

2) Phantom Regiment

3) Blue Devils

4) Santa Clara Vanguard

5) Carolina Crown

6) The Cadets

Again, though, EXTREME WAG's there...along with a whole heap of wishful thinking.

Edited by ftwdrummer

You from Churchill?

I give no credit to concert arcs. If i had to judge i would have marked a zero for marching in the balad (as well as the first min.) ... seeing as no one moved. And a moment of silence where the gaurd spins in spot. I just dont like it. oh and did i mention i really dont like voice overs...but this is the wrong post for this so ill leave this conversation be.

The marching activity is MORE than marching the entire 8-11 minutes, playing music, and etc. It's about being creative, being effective, and more importantly, being remembered. You can be the most amazing group when it comes to the technical parts of music and marching, but if it's not an effective show and it seems like that the show is "just there"..... than you're not going to be remembered.

God forbid that no one has ever stood still during a ballad before. Every band (and drum corps) does it. Aren't you supposed to stand still during the impact point of the ballad anyways?

The marching activity is MORE than marching the entire 8-11 minutes, playing music, and etc. It's about being creative, being effective, and more importantly, being remembered. You can be the most amazing group when it comes to the technical parts of music and marching, but if it's not an effective show and it seems like that the show is "just there"..... than you're not going to be remembered.

God forbid that no one has ever stood still during a ballad before. Every band (and drum corps) does it. Aren't you supposed to stand still during the impact point of the ballad anyways?

Well, It's not like anyone knows the RIGHT way to do marching band or something. That's what makes bands unique. I semi-agree with TRUMPet... except I think he used a bad example. Im really not a fan of people crawling or hiding behind sheets for chunks of a show.

Mr. Bui. I think you are right in some aspects. One, I guess you could say most of the time bands/corps will hault in a Ballad. But, there is a certain amount of time you can pull this off in. It may be personal preference, but like I said, I really dont like watching an invisible band play a couple chords for minutes.

TRUMPet, I kind of agree with you, but calling out Churchills show probably wasnt a good example. The use of the longer than normal hault was effective. and the silence held meaning. Also, you may want to watch out on the voice thing... I believe your high school will have a choir singing, and you will be singing. : o

And, going into this new DCI world (aka The BOA takeover of DCI) the corps you're trying out for may need to use such devices just to stay competitive in the future...

end.

(btw, I think LD Bell is really good. Im just not a fan of the show design.)

Edited by WestCoastCorpsFan

I want to start off saying i understand the moment of silence had meaning, I just don't like it (kinda old now).

God forbid that no one has ever stood still during a ballad before. Every band (and drum corps) does it

mbui, i dont mind them standing still, they just did it for 1-2 min., the entirety of amazing grace... too long for my liking.

And as far as the voice thing goes, even if it is in my band i dont have to like it... (and i seem to remember you talking about how much you dislike it too :wacko:

And really all of this is opinion based so...

I want to start off saying i understand the moment of silence had meaning, I just don't like it (kinda old now).

mbui, i dont mind them standing still, they just did it for 1-2 min., the entirety of amazing grace... too long for my liking.

And as far as the voice thing goes, even if it is in my band i dont have to like it... (and i seem to remember you talking about how much you dislike it too :wacko:

And really all of this is opinion based so...

I think there are appropriate and inappropriate times for such.

About voiceovers....Me or WestCoastCorpsFan? I don't think I've ever brought up voiceovers. I like voiceovers. But, not in an excessive and poor manner. Winston Churchill's was nowhere close to excessive. It was tasteful and appropriate to me.

• 2 months later...

1) Cavaliers

2) (TIE) BD and Cadets

4) BLOOOOOOOO!

5) Crown

6) SCV

7) Crown

8) Blue Knights

9) BAC

10) Blue Stars

11) Academy

12) Troopers (HA! I wish! But really) Glassmen

Here's my evidence

Since Vanguard's '89 performance, only three corps have ever won a ring w/o sharing it, BD, Cavies, and Cadets. Since I am a very firm believer in politics, I don't see why the Board would let anything else happen.

To me, Crown had a spectacular show, but a lot of corps have problems rebounding after really popular years. SCV '89-'90, PR '96-'97, Phantom '03-'04, Cadets '03-'04. All the latter shows were pretty good, but they couldn't match up to their status of a year ago, so the points suffered.

I think the same might go for Colts. Plus, with the growth Blue Stars had over the last couple of years after coming back to (at the time) Div. 1, they have taken the right steps to be serious contenders for a spot on Saturday. Same with Academy. Both have incredible vet return rates, which is pivotal to improving a corps.

Glassmen sounds great, but until their drill becomes more difficult, they aren't going anywhere. Plus, I don't think their drumline has been the same since Colin McNutt left back in '02. That line carried them into top 6 back in '01 and '02 (scoring 2nd at least once in there), but if they can't get the drums back to McNutt's caliber, it'll hold them back.

1) Cavaliers

2) (TIE) BD and Cadets

4) BLOOOOOOOO!

5) Crown

6) SCV

7) Crown

8) Blue Knights

9) BAC

10) Blue Stars

11) Academy

12) Troopers (HA! I wish! But really) Glassmen

Here's my evidence

Since Vanguard's '89 performance, only three corps have ever won a ring w/o sharing it, BD, Cavies, and Cadets. Since I am a very firm believer in politics, I don't see why the Board would let anything else happen.

To me, Crown had a spectacular show, but a lot of corps have problems rebounding after really popular years. SCV '89-'90, PR '96-'97, Phantom '03-'04, Cadets '03-'04. All the latter shows were pretty good, but they couldn't match up to their status of a year ago, so the points suffered.

I think the same might go for Colts. Plus, with the growth Blue Stars had over the last couple of years after coming back to (at the time) Div. 1, they have taken the right steps to be serious contenders for a spot on Saturday. Same with Academy. Both have incredible vet return rates, which is pivotal to improving a corps.

Glassmen sounds great, but until their drill becomes more difficult, they aren't going anywhere. Plus, I don't think their drumline has been the same since Colin McNutt left back in '02. That line carried them into top 6 back in '01 and '02 (scoring 2nd at least once in there), but if they can't get the drums back to McNutt's caliber, it'll hold them back.

Thanks for the love, man.

Hey drum corps people, did anyone else find ---^ this comment ironic? lol. haha, we all know what the cavaliers take... oh, you know, i mean, championships... right, thats it.

Excuse me while I giggle like a school girl.