The first major step towards State Marching Band glory has been taken and the UIL Region marching contests are now behind us. Now those bands drawing superior ratings at the regional level advance to the seven major area marching band competitions taking place Oct. 27. Seven Area Champions will be named and 23 total bands will receive a berth to the prestigious UIL Texas State Marching Band Contest at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

Indeed, the 4A band world is buzzing with anticipation for this coming Saturday. As the first UIL sanctioned head-to-head competition of the season, a lot is riding on these area performances. The competition is a prelims/finals format with at least two bands advancing from each area onto the state level.

For those unfamiliar with the process, 2 bands automatically advance from each area. However, in areas of more than 15 bands, one band for ever 5 bands in attendance will advance to state.

The number of finalist spots at area and state is also determined by the amount of bands in attendance at each respective competition. If there are 15 or fewer bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top 5 places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below fifth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

If there are 20 or fewer bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top seven places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below seventh place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

If there are 21 or more bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top ten places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

So who can we expect to see in San Antonio Nov. 6? A run down of the areas gives us a clearer picture:

AREA A: the candidates

Amarillo Caprock

Amarillo Randall

Azle

Big Spring

Denton Ryan

Dumas

El Paso Andres

El Paso Del Valle

El Paso Mountain View

El Paso Riverside

Ft. Worth Boswell

Hereford

Keller Fossil Ridge

Pampa

Plainview

Saginaw

San Angelo Lake View

Springtown

Wichita Falls S.H. Rider

Wolforth Frenship

Advancing bands: 4

Area A consists mostly of the Northwest Texas panhandle area. With 20 bands in attendance at this area competition, we can expect to see seven finalists and four state qualifiers. In 2005, state qualifying bands included Frenship, Plainview, EP Andres and Springtown. If all hope to advance they will have to overcome some new additions to Area including former 4A finalist Fossil Ridge as well as traditionally strong Big Spring and newcomer Saginaw. EP Del Valle performed strongly this year at the BOA EP regional and should also be expected to contend.

My picks:

Area finals: EP Andres, Fossil Ridge, Plainview, Springtown, Frenship, Saginaw, EP Del Valle

State qualifiers: EP Andress, EP Del Valle, Fossil Ridge, Plainview

AREA B: the candidates

Aledo

Arlington Heights

Arlington Juan Seguin

Birdville

Brownwood

Carter-Riverside

Centennial

Crowley

Everman

Ft. Worth Western Hills

Frisco

Ft. Worth Eastern Hills

Joshua

Lake Dallas

Little Elm

McKinney Boyd

McKinney North

Sherman

Stephenville

The Colony

Advancing bands: 4

Area B will be one of the most competitive areas if not the most competitive area in 2007 as befits a Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex area. Some of the states top groups reside here, including Birdville and 2005 bronze medalist Sherman. This area will have a finalist field of seven bands and it will be a down to the wire race for the four coveted state berths here. With a former 5A SMBC finalist, 3 2005 SMBC finalists, and 2 2007 TMEA Honor band finalists, it

We BEAT Poteet at the Mesquite Marching Festival, WHAT NOW?! here's the link: http://www.mesquiteisd.org/instructprog/fi...s/Overall07.pdf hey-yeah! we beat them, all right, and we had a SUCKY show. we all did HORRIBLY. it was much better the night before at the football game. we would've OWNED them. :~D.

doesn't Poteet have over 70 triangles in their show?

I agree with pretty much everything, but I expect Azle to be a finalist and state contender in Area A. They seem to have performed very well so far this season, placing ahead of Birdville at the Aledo competition.

I'm still mad about the Area C situation that emerged today. If there are 19 first division bands in an area, then three should get to advance to state regardless of who shows up to area.

We BEAT Poteet at the Mesquite Marching Festival, WHAT NOW?! here's the link: http://www.mesquiteisd.org/instructprog/fi...s/Overall07.pdf hey-yeah! we beat them, all right, and we had a SUCKY show. we all did HORRIBLY. it was much better the night before at the football game. we would've OWNED them. :~D.

Wow.......

To edit or not to edit.

I think its cool. I mean the feeling of having the possibility is just too great to contain. Ever since I lost my headphones and couldn't fall asleep to music, I've had to just lay at night to my own thoughts about area. Let me tell you... it doesn't work out. Trying to sleep and having nothing to concentrate on but your own thoughts is like trying to make butter toast under water. It just doesn't work out.

Well good for Sherman. I'm sure Sherman's band will do wonderfully at State.

And I'm sure you do them proud with your representation of the program.

Troll rogue, indeed. *shakes head*

Isn't it 20 or more then 10 bands make finals?

that's what I believe is true.

So area B is missing three bands...

The official UIL rules state that it must be 21 or more bands to have 10 or more finalists.

Area B missing three bands? The bands listed on the most recent official schedule for Area B was the list I used to determine the candidates in Area B. Has there been another revised list?

Okay man. You don't realize what you're doing when you rub dirt in peoples faces. You don't realize that we got completely destroyed by Poteet the following Saturday at Plano East. It's going to be an on and off battle, and if everyone here has the same lack of discipline and self-control that you do, then I don't think we're even going to touch state. But that's a good thing that you're pretty much the only one with these views, I'm glad that I ACTUALLY MARCH in a band that knows what they're doing.

Please quit flaming other bands and putting us up on a pedestal, or whatever. I don't understand you. You flame us in one post, then glorify us in another. You're terrible. Please quit. Sherman Band is better than this, and what you're working for is the complete antithesis of what we are right now, and apparently we're doing something right because we're getting a lot better day by day, as I think other bands are. All bands will have lots of competition - it all just boils down to who puts in the most work and who puts in the most passion.

Sincerely,

chritzler

P.S.: yes, I registered just to disagree with you and hopefully undo what you've made Sherman out to be.

P.S.: yes, I registered just to disagree with you and hopefully undo what you've made Sherman out to be.

It's okay. I still love Sherman's band. I wasn't offended by the posting at all. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow, because I think you have a GREAT shot at being Area Champs.

And I meant that I thought there shoulda been 3 more bands in area b finals, not just area b itself. All 20 of us are accounted for. =]