Why this activity is so great?

Because of stuff like this....

Cinco Ranch senior sparks benefit

Katy ISD bands are raising funds for El Paso school

By HELEN ERIKSEN

Houston Chronicle Correspondent

Jill Hegedus, a senior at Cinco Ranch High School in Katy (suburb of Houston), helped organize a fundraiser for students in an El Paso marching band. She hopes to light a fire in students involved in other programs such as sports to take on similar projects to help those at disadvantaged schools.

The idea to hold a fundraiser came to Hegedus, 18, after she learned that some students at Mountain View High School in El Paso, where 100 percent of students qualify for free and reduced-priced lunches, could not be in the marching band program because they didn't have enough instruments.

The Cinco Ranch Cougar band leadership team decided to hold a band showcase where all six Katy high school bands would come together at Rhodes Stadium in Katy to perform. Students have branded the event "Paws Out for Mountain View Lobo Band."

Cinco Ranch will collect a $2 donation from people who attend the event, to be held from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. All proceeds will go to the Mountain View Lobo Band.

Hegedus said her fellow marching band members, a group of 300, were eager to help after learning about the disparity between their program and the Mountain View program, which has 88 members.

"I think it's important to be socially conscious," said Hegedus, who plays bass clarinet. "Sometimes I feel like we live in a bubble here in Cinco Ranch, and it's important to see others' needs when we have so much to give."

To promote the showcase, students made posters, wrote stories in the school newspaper and talked to classmates.

Cinco Ranch band director Mike Ouellette told Hegedus about Mountain View's need. He heard about it from a colleague when he went to El Paso for a band contest two years ago.

Ouellette hopes that the fundraiser will not only raise money but also awareness about less-fortunate students and what can be done to help them.

He said the Mountain View band would be larger if it could afford to purchase more instruments. Because the school is in an area populated with migrant workers, sometimes the youths are left unsupervised when parents are working, he said.

"Children who are involved in band tend not to be involved in bad things," he said.

Hegedus, who is in the top 14 percent of her class, said being in band has strengthened her commitment to school and improved her time-management skills.

"I have definitely matured a lot and I have learned to deal with all kinds of people," she said. "Band teaches you discipline and helps you to become more outgoing."

Katy Independent School District executive director of fine arts Bob Bryant believes students benefit from belonging to art programs, such as band, and that art is valuable for helping them interpret the world they live in.

"An effective education in the fine arts helps students to see what they look at, hear what they listen to and feel what they touch," he said.

Katy students receive a big perk from participating in the showcase, Ouellette said.

"It's a chance for the kids to see each others' shows before we go for our competitions on Oct. 23," he said.

Ouellette said his students have already raised about $500 by going around the cafeteria during lunchtime to collect donations from students. Donations of cash or instruments can be made by calling Ouellette at 281-237-5046.

----------------

From the Cinco Ranch Band website:

mountain_view_header.jpg

The Story

The idea for the event was inspired by our students after Michael Ouellette, our band director, shared a story with his students after judging a UIL competition in West Texas last fall. He judged a band that was very obviously in need of normal band items. The uniforms where threadbare, the instruments were in poor working order and the band in general seemed to have a lot of issues. When he talked with the chairperson in charge of that region, she explained that the school was very happy with their director and band program even though they did not earn very good ratings.

She went on to explain that most of the students in the band lived in shacks without running water

Overall, the showcase was a great success!

We raised about $20,000 and recieved many donated instruments from many generous people.

So on behalf of Cinco Ranch and all the other Katy schools, I would like to say thanks to everyone who came or helped in any way (I also heard that the Woodlands College Park had a fundraiser at one of their football games, too).

One day during class, Mr. Ouellette showed us a video of a story from an El Paso news station which ran a story on the fundraiser we were having, and they interviewed the Mountain View band students. They were so grateful and wanted to give us all hugs! :lol: It makes me happy.