DCI, BOA, or UIL? It's Your Pick

After reading various forums' messages ( I read much more than I do post), I thought I'd start a thread full of powerful opinions.

I guess it's not entirely up to these 3 prestigious marching/music contest institutions alone, but any if you want to be particular (USSBA, ToB, etc.)

What I want to know, is what is your favorite and why.

Anyone can say that they like any one contest institution over the other, but why exactly?

I used to belong to a forum where I was extremely active; we had nothing but debates and serious discussion. However, that forum was shut down so I've gone elsewhere. Intuitive/intelligent discussion is what keeps me coming back, so let's see it happen! :) Of course, keep message intensity to a mininum and keep it respectful.

I think we oughta narrow the field down a bit to just between UIL and BOA, since DCI is a completely separate entity. UIL and BOA at least deal with marching band, while DCI is a corp. Very different stuff.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of BOA and not so much of UIL. I enjoy BOA because of the diversity of the shows and it's almost as if it's a theater on the field. BOA type shows tend to be more dynamic and have a better connection with the audience. I believe they are much more crowd-friendly than your typical 8-minute UIL show.

I respect UIL for awarding cleanliness. When you boil everything down to its components, marching band is really just about marching and playing and who can do it the cleanest. However, if a band has really easy drill and has say, 60 pages on the field, they'll obviously be cleaner than the band that has 120 total sets. It's just a numbers game, really. 60 is easier to clean than 120. 120 is way more difficult than 60. Yet UIL does not reward difficulty. Only what is on the field at the time. I think you have to take into account a bit of the extra unforeseen stuff. Like difficulty of show and GE.

Also, the inconsistencies of UIL just really turn me off to it. The worst judging discrepancy I remember is Stephen F. Austin's 3rd place vote in music and dead last vote. Now, from what I hear, the 3rd place vote is the one that was out of line, but still. That's freakin' absurd. I just don't like the judging style. Just use a point system like the rest of the world. None of this 1, 2, 3, 4, 39823 crap. I know that the judges actually score the band and then after all is said and done, rank them, but I think UIL would be less ridiculed if they didn't do rankings.

Anyways, that was my $.02. I've got two exams tomorrow, so maybe I'll go to sleep now.

For myself, BOA. I like the stiff competition and travelling, lol.

But I think everyone has to give UIL some credit for what is trying to do.

1) Lets face it, Texas is a big state and as a big state, we have high schools that do different marching styles (mini drum corps, showband, and military are the three big ones that come to mind). Because of this, the system has to be fair to all of these different styles so don't expect some BOA elements to make their way into UIL anytime soon unless the other styles die out or some division system pops up. You can't judge something that doesn't apply.

2) Someone's going to complain no matter what.

3) For those of us (myself included) that come from marching bands that are based on the mini drum corps style, I would bet that most of have directors that at one time were involved with DCI. So we automatically have a somewhat biased view of UIL because we are molded into what our band does.

So don't bash the system too much, you have to give UIL credit for existing this long and putting up with a lot of stuff.

After doing a summer of DCI, it's my favorite hands down.

All the tradition, the class, and the athleticism t takes to even survive all-days confounded me.

I will say though, I personally feel like BOA kids need more credit than most people give them. Some of those shows are as fast-paced and focused as some drum corps shows, and considering the stresses of high school work and drama (which have been kicking my BUTT ever since I've been home), and even the fact marching bands (especially here in TX) have a fraction of the time to rehearse as a standard drum corps, it impresses me to see some bands put out the caliber of shows they perform.

And I also feel judges in BOA are more fair than they are in drum corps, but that's a whole other story.

Don't know what to say about comparing band stuff with corp stuff... I mean, one has woodwinds and one doesn't. Obviously the one without wins (muahaha).

Umm but really between BOA and UIL, I think it depends on if you're more traditional or modern. I think my band wouldn't do nearly as well at a BOA competition as we do at UIL because we don't do props or the soulja boy in the middle of our movements... we focus heavily on fundamentals.

I think BOA is better if you're looking for something fun to watch. I think UIL is better if you're looking to improve yourself. That's my personal opinion.

Of course... DCI is like... professional marching so like I said, it's in a whole other league. It's like super BOA/UIL combined sans woodwinds.