Blue Devils

thesnareguy

Can't believe they won...definitely not a memorable show, but they were the best and executed better than anyone, as the score shows. I would've taken the Cadets for the win this year (despite my personal contempt for the commentary), but they came close this time around. Cavies...poor guys, first time in a while they haven't finished 1st or 2nd.

Oh well, as much as I do not really care for the Blue Devils, congrats to them for winning (once again).

Scouts dont care about placements. theyre all about pleasing the crowd which from what i saw they did very well this season.

The only problem i had with BDs show was it seemed really easy for a championship show...that being said i though it was really entertaining.

The scouts I know sure as heck care about placements.

Interesting. Most of the corps in the past and most of the members i talked to this year always say that its not the focus of the corps. Theyre mainly about pleasing the crowd. (see just about every show they put out from the 90s)

Yeah, that was the impression I had gotten too. Of course, the fact that they didn't make it to finals greatly undercut their ability to please the largest crowd of the year (and according to the announcer, ever) which may've contributed to them being quite sore as they sat and watched other corps perform at finals.

If corps can teach you anything, it's about how little placements matter.

If you think they do, jut realize, in the very end, you can't control them. All you can control is how you perform your gig.

If a judge gives you a good score, cool. If not, oh well. Judging is all about opinion. Don't get caught up in someone else's if yours staes you did really well.

That's something every corps guy can agree with.

• 2 weeks later...
If corps can teach you anything, it's about how little placements matter.

That's something every corps guy can agree with.

I would have to totally disagree with that statement. Most people in several finalist corps find scores and placements very important. I've been in one, and I know that there are many others. Even at a place where the great majority don't care at all (like the group i was with last summer), there's always going to be some that care way too much.

• 1 month later...

I'd say that all of the scorings were accurate excluding that of Phantom Regiment (if you have the ESPN broadcast recorded, check out DeLucia's comment after the Cavs' score is announced). Sorry to the Cavs, but PR was truly outperforming them by the end of the season - too bad the judges didn't care to score them as such. Nonetheless, kudos to them for putting out a beautiful showing at finals on the West Coast - extend that to the Cavaliers also for their more-heroic-than-usual efforts this year and choice to play some more "real" music. Grats to BD, and maybe, if Hopkins realizes that he can put out things more innovative than narration (which was at least tolerable by finals), he can start placing his corps more accurately once more - but I hold the marching members to no fault for what corps they choose.