drum corps audition tips...

rsb3

I'm planning on trying out for a drum corps in the upcoming years. What are some tips ya'll have for going into an audition? What is expected? What do you have to do? How many people usually show up for these camps? And as a side question, I'm planning on trying out on the Baritone (I play trombone currently, but I'm going to pick up the baritone in the coming weeks with a director), what are usually the most competitive sections? If you make the "cut" to go on to more camps, what are some tips for ensuring you stay at your personal best so that you may still compete at the proper level?

I also would've put this in the "drum corps auditions 2007," thread, but didn't want to stray too far from the original topic of "who" everyone was auditioning for.

If you play trombone, get used to baritone fingerings. If you're used to using a mellophone that requires a french horn mouthpiece, the mellophones that drum corps use are different, they're more like trumpets, the fingerings are the same as a trumpets and the mouthpieces are different. It threw me for a loop when I auditioned today.

No, the mellophones are exactly the same.

What you must play at school is a marching french horn.

Two completely different instruments.

My tip is one of the best tips EVER given to me when I was going through the audition process: YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GREAT ATTITUDE!!!! If you just think about it, it's a pretty easy concept.

You play so much that they'll make you play the way they want.

You march so much that you WILL have technique down. However, you do need to have some already good marching skills.

BUT if you're a jerk, that's something the staff can't change! You have to live with members of a corp for 2 1/2 months. You've got to have an attitude of willingness to learn. If you're too good for the staff to teach, you don't belong. Go in with a great attitude and it will make a HUGE difference!

Have all the music down cold beforehand. They'll see that you've put a lot of effort into it, and they'll have something to tech you on. Also, be able to adapt to changes fast. They throw a lot of stuff at you to see if you can pick it up quick enough. They need you to be able to do this, because the summer is fast paced and the show will always be changing based off of the judging and rankings.

Hope it helps.

Have all the music down cold beforehand. They'll see that you've put a lot of effort into it, and they'll have something to tech you on. Also, be able to adapt to changes fast. They throw a lot of stuff at you to see if you can pick it up quick enough. They need you to be able to do this, because the summer is fast paced and the show will always be changing based off of the judging and rankings.

Hope it helps.

Do corps give music out beforehand for auditionees to practice? How do you get it?

Do corps give music out beforehand for auditionees to practice? How do you get it?

It's different for every corps. For example, The Cavaliers are very specific about what etudes and excerpts to prepare, whereas SCV just has a sheet of excercises and then you can play a piece of your choice.

Just check the websites of your prospective corps.

I'm planning on trying out for a drum corps in the upcoming years. What are some tips ya'll have for going into an audition? What is expected? What do you have to do? How many people usually show up for these camps? And as a side question, I'm planning on trying out on the Baritone (I play trombone currently, but I'm going to pick up the baritone in the coming weeks with a director), what are usually the most competitive sections? If you make the "cut" to go on to more camps, what are some tips for ensuring you stay at your personal best so that you may still compete at the proper level?

My number one tip for going to an audition is to be prepared. This sounds easy, but you'd be shocked at the number of people that show up to a Cavaliers audition camp that don't know the audition music at all. If you don't have something well-prepared, you're just wasting your time and money.

Marching-wise, not much is typically expected. All auditionees come from different schools and different marching backgrounds, so everyone's technique is different. Although, there are some key things that they look for: Timing of feet, control of the upper body, and instruction comprehension. Those three things are pretty universal for every marching group, and are something that's difficult to teach a person if they aren't already able to do it.

How my first audition camps have worked, is generally Friday night is pretty relaxed. There will probably be a meeting with the corps director welcoming you and telling you what all to expect and stuff. Then you might get into a horn arc with everyone, and go over the corps fundamentals and basic technique studies. On Saturday, there will be both playing and visual blocks of rehearsal (you're gonna be sore all over afterwards). During this time, they'll probably pull out people one by one to go and play for some of the brass staff. Although, at Cavaliers, they have you audition 5 at a time, "all-region style", but I think they are the exception.

The typical numbers of people that show up, really depend on the corps. At Cavaliers last year, there were like 40ish mellophones trying out for like 4 or 5 spots. At some of the lower corps, it's not nearly that drastic. With Crossmen and Cap Reg, there wasn't a full hornline until about April or Mayish, as not enough talent auditioned and people dropped out and such.

Luckily for you, my experience has shown me that baritone is the least competitive section to make in a drum corps. At both crossmen and cap reg we had people switch over from other instruments to fill spots. Trumpet is generally the most competitive (in the hornline), and I'd say mellophone is 2nd, and tubas are 3rd.

If you make the cut at the audition camp, make sure that you work on the stuff that they tell you to. If you were the weak link in the marching rehearsal, you have a month to change that. Whenever they give you music at a camp, have it down by the next camp. If they ask you to memorize it, you better have it memorized. They may not cut you if you don't, because they need you, but ultimately you're making the drum corps suffer. Learning/memorizing music was a huge issue at both Crossmen 04 and Cap Reg 06, and it makes every one that knows their stuff very angry, and you get hated by most people in the corps.

Well, between camps, if you're not in the best of shape... run. You're trying out for baritone... hold up your baritone with your shoes tied around it for long periods of time. You arms will fall off at camps, getting strong is important. Don't wait until the last minute to work on music, or record progress tapes (if they're required). If you're flying to camps, start looking at flights and travel plans immeadietly before they get too expensive, espcially for camps on holiday breaks.

Well, tour dues can me up to like 1500 bucks, but it all depends on the corps. For some corps, there are additional camp fees, some just charge for audition camps, some charge for no camps. Also, you have to factor in costs for flying if you have too. But 1500 dollars is actually a really good deal... with 4 meals a day, shelter for 3 months, a free ride to all the dci shows you want, etc.

Again, it all depends on the corps, they're all different.

Not exactly...that's how Crossmen cut me.

He was asking about the hornline. And in just about most cases, that's the truth.

Guard and percussion are different.

Edit: I'd add this to tips for between camps. To strengthen legs and arms do wall-stands. They are different from your wall-sits. What you do is get your horn in carriage position and then stand on your toes up against a wall with your heels on the wall. The only other part of your body that should touch the wall should be your butt. Try this for two minutes starting out and then gradually build up until you can do it for 12-15 minutes. Also, switch between horn in carriage position and playing position.

He was asking about the hornline. And in just about most cases, that's the truth.

Guard and percussion are different.

Edit: I'd add this to tips for between camps. To strengthen legs and arms do wall-stands. They are different from your wall-sits. What you do is get your horn in carriage position and then stand on your toes up against a wall with your heels on the wall. The only other part of your body that should touch the wall should be your butt. Try this for two minutes starting out and then gradually build up until you can do it for 12-15 minutes. Also, switch between horn in carriage position and playing position.

I'll try that.

i tried out for the blue devils recently and it was pretty simple, as long as you stay relaxed and focused, you'll do fine. then again, i didnt make it to the camps ^_^ despite having a really good audition. it was pretty competitive in the tubas there, a few guys in college showed up, and me being 16, i dont think i had a great shot of making it anyways. oh well it was a fun day.

• 3 weeks later...
You're trying out for baritone... hold up your baritone with your shoes tied around it for long periods of time. You arms will fall off at camps, getting strong is important.

try using an ankle wheight around the bell of the baritone. That really helps. I used one during a practice and it felt as light as a feather when I took it off.

try using an ankle wheight around the bell of the baritone. That really helps. I used one during a practice and it felt as light as a feather when I took it off.

Yeah, for about the first half of tour this summer, our baritones had ankle weights on and off their horns all day. It helps a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
i tried out for the blue devils recently and it was pretty simple, as long as you stay relaxed and focused, you'll do fine. then again, i didnt make it to the camps ^_^ despite having a really good audition. it was pretty competitive in the tubas there, a few guys in college showed up, and me being 16, i dont think i had a great shot of making it anyways. oh well it was a fun day.

Was Sean Snyder there teaching tubas when you auditioned?