Area G Contest

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh.gif Well, as of this morning (tuesday). Those times are not official. Region 15 should not have posted this schedule. There is a protest going on about the time slots. Regions 14 and 11 have been given later time slots to allow for travelling. Therefore, region 15 and 28 have been moved up to the top slots. Look at the schedule closely. The last 2 blocks only have 2 schools from either 15 or 28 in them. The 2nd block has 3 schools. Then the first block has the rest of them with no members from regions 11 or 14 in them. If you notice the last block, you can clearly see some "politics" taking place. A vote will be made today concerning the protest by the area superintendents. So....till then..... But if the protest doesn't hold, then the first block will hold some serious fireworks. The groups in the top block are top notch. They will definitely set the tone for the day. So... oh well.... flame on.

:huh: Well, as of this morning (tuesday). Those times are not official. Region 15 should not have posted this schedule. There is a protest going on about the time slots. Regions 14 and 11 have been given later time slots to allow for travelling. Therefore, region 15 and 28 have been moved up to the top slots. Look at the schedule closely. The last 2 blocks only have 2 schools from either 15 or 28 in them. The 2nd block has 3 schools. Then the first block has the rest of them with no members from regions 11 or 14 in them. If you notice the last block, you can clearly see some "politics" taking place. A vote will be made today concerning the protest by the area superintendents. So....till then..... But if the protest doesn't hold, then the first block will hold some serious fireworks. The groups in the top block are top notch. They will definitely set the tone for the day. So... oh well.... flame on.

Any update on the protest of time slots? Does anyone think the judges will be ok with advancing several bands from the first block to finals? This is based off of the 2004 finals.

I say that the schedule stands as is. Bands have already made critical arrangements with traveling and logistics. It's too late to change the schedule because a group of whiners want to perform later to have a better shot at advancing to finals. Look, if you're finals worthy, then you can make it happen at 8:30 am, lunchtime, or even 4am. Period. Isn't the BOA SA schedule configured based on a band's proximity and travel time? It makes sense to place bands that have a 5 hour drive to McAllen in the last block and let all the others within a stone's throw away perform in the first blocks. Ok, flame on.

I agree whole-heartedly with that. If a band is good enough to make finals, then they will make finals no matter what time they perform. Leander 2000 is a great example, and another great example is Haltom 2004. First band of the day and they made it to finals.

HOWEVER, I do not agree with the politics involved in this decision. I really do not sympathize for a SA that may have to travel down here and wake up at 4 in the morning because I had to do the same thing two weeks ago for BOA Houston. There should be a random draw for the schedule like there has ALWAYS been in the past. And yeah, it does make sense to have all the bands that are further away compete later, but its simply the fact that the schedule was not set up randomly that has started a big dispute with the directors. It is a very biased schedule and the order quite clearly shows this.

I agree that a finals-worthy band should perform awesome at any time. My only concern is: What if there are 6 bands that are finals-worthy and perform awesome in the morning block? Will they all advance? Have their been instances where almost all of the finalist bands come from a single performance block?

I was thinking the same thing actually....because in my honest/humble opinion, I feel that the first block is stacked in comparison to the other three.

A smart judge would use RGC as the standard for the day. Say they do really well, then the judge should give them a median score, let's say a 100 out of 200. From there, rank schools accordingly based on how well they do compared to RGC. Of course, it will be tough going in the first block considering that most of the schools in it play extremely well.

Semi-Official Statement from Richard Floyd (Head of the UIL Music Department):

UIL AREA G MARCHING CONTEST AAAAA DRAW

Questions have arisen regarding the procedure used for the UIL Area G AAAAA Contest performance order. The following sequence of events has been reported to the state office.

1 It was agreed in August that because of the large number of 5A bands that might compete at this event there could be no central site. The contest would have to be in the Rio Grande Valley or in San Antonio and that the 2006 contest would be hosted in the valley. In 2008 the contest will move to an appropriate site in San Antonio..

2 Because of travel and safety it was proposed that the bands nearest the contest site (Regions 15 and 28) be drawn in the first block. Once it was filled all remaining bands regardless of the region represented would be drawn for the balance of the preliminary schedule.

There is a precedent for following this procedure and there are other areas of the state that have factored travel and safety into the draw for performance order. If such an accommodation is not observed the potential exists for bands to have to leave within hours after a Friday night football game and travel most of the night to perform in competition early the next morning.

3 Only the first 9 performance times are in question. The rest of the day is a balance of all regions and in fact the last two performance slots are assigned to bands from the very regions that are question the procedure.

4 It is unfortunate that a lack of communication has compounded this problem; however, there does not appear to be compelling justification to discount the existing performance order and require a new draw with all bands in the pool. Especially when one factors in the fact that the contest in 2008 will be in San Antonio and the bands in Region 11 and 14 will be drawn to fill the times in the first performance block. For that contest it will be the bands in the Rio Grande Valley that will face extensive travel. At that time they will be excluded from the draw for the first performance block.

SUMMARY

Based on factors sited above it would appear that a long-range plan has been established and the procedure for drawing performance order is equitable and was conducted without bias and with the safety and well being of students as a high priority.

The key to this is that the Region Executives from each region in Area G agreed to this type of draw all the way back in August. For them to be complaining now is ridiculous.

They should really let students know about these kinds of decisions. Oh well, it doesn't matter what anyone says now. Area G is going to happen and it will be the toughest area G contest to date, and hopefully whichever bands advance represent the area well at state.

*I still think the first block is going to dominate. It's just an opinion... ^_^

Area G Advancing Bands: (and placements)

1 Brownsville Hanna

2 Harlingen

3 Donna

4 SA Taft

5 PSJA North

6 Harlingen South

alt. SA O'Connor

NO SHARYLAND!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! They were 3rd in Prelims!

Edit: Hanna went from 9th to 1st and Sharyland went from 3rd to 8th!?!??!?

Area G Advancing Bands: (and placements)

1 Brownsville Hanna

2 Harlingen

3 Donna

4 SA Taft

5 PSJA North

6 Harlingen South

alt. SA O'Connor

NO SHARYLAND!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! They were 3rd in Prelims!

Edit: Hanna went from 9th to 1st and Sharyland went from 3rd to 8th!?!??!?

It also seems that Lopez dropped to 9th place after receiving 2nd place in prelims. I guess the judges didn't see the same thing the 2nd time around or they are just inconsistent.

yeah thats weird.. but i doubt hanna will do well against the bigger bands (reagan, the woodlands...etc..).. Harlingen will though.. cuz they've had experience.. (of course im being bias)

well in a way, you're right. Harlingen has placed ahead of their area g counterparts every time they've been to state but once. Even when not getting first place at Area G.