X-Men Finals Placement

Band_Freak

I know it's early, but come on! X-Men get Texas kids, Texas staff, Mark Chambers, and all the Reagan kids you can handle.....so how will this impact them?

I doubt Reagan kids will play a big factor in the Crossmen this year, when Chambers will probably have so much more to choose from. My bet is that they'll get low finals, and without Reagan kids making a large portion of their lineup.

I think people are jumping to conclusions...just because they are coming to Texas does not mean they are going to automatically make finals. Yeah, this is just a poll, but....

---The Crossmen havent made finals since 2004 (they received 11th place).

---They missed finals this year by over 4 full points.

---The system is going to be completely new, as will the staff.

There are other factors too, but you get the point. I would love for them to make it, but I don't think this is their year.

QUOTE (bariphonium @ Oct 5 2006, 06:12 PM)
I doubt Reagan kids will play a big factor in the Crossmen this year, when Chambers will probably have so much more to choose from. My bet is that they'll get low finals, and without Reagan kids making a large portion of their lineup.

Agreed.

I've said it over and over again....yes, the Crossmen and Ronald Reagan have an affilitation now but they will not make up the majority of the corps. The talent pool for the Crossmen to choose from is going to be through the roof.

Mark Chambers took a new high school and in 3 years (2 competitive) he won a BOA regional. The next year he took his high school to BOA GN finals (11th, but finals nonetheless). Many people might have asked him 5 or so years into his career at Reagan, "If you could start all over again, what would you do differently?" He's in a very similar situation now, save that it's DCI instead of BOA/UIL, and his talent pool of students to choose from will probably be much larger. And before Reagan became what it is, would you have recognized the names Mark Chambers, Mark Koehl, and Kevin Nix? Looking back on Reagan's success (and still less than 10 years old), I've no doubt that Mark Chambers will create an excellent, if not incredible program in the Crossmen. They won't be the perfect corps that comes from Texas to show the world that the Lone Star State is the best (even though it is), but they'll do very well. Of that I'm sure.

Keep THIS in mind when considering this......

EVERY YEAR is a new year for DCI Corps. This isn't like sports where players are under contract. You can wonder how the Eagles will do with McNabb coming back or how the Rockets will do this year because WE KNOW who will be there. The X-Men could get an influx of BD, SCV, Phantom, Cavvies vets or ALL rookies....who knows? You can literally make the argument that a corps is really only as good as it's staff year in and year out.

Very good point.

However, the new Santa Clara Vanguard staff did wonders this past year.

However, this is a huge difference the corps who has never missed finals and the one who is going through a ton of changes.

Mark Chambers took a new high school and in 3 years (2 competitive) he won a BOA regional. The next year he took his high school to BOA GN finals (11th, but finals nonetheless). Many people might have asked him 5 or so years into his career at Reagan, "If you could start all over again, what would you do differently?" He's in a very similar situation now, save that it's DCI instead of BOA/UIL, and his talent pool of students to choose from will probably be much larger. And before Reagan became what it is, would you have recognized the names Mark Chambers, Mark Koehl, and Kevin Nix? Looking back on Reagan's success (and still less than 10 years old), I've no doubt that Mark Chambers will create an excellent, if not incredible program in the Crossmen. They won't be the perfect corps that comes from Texas to show the world that the Lone Star State is the best (even though it is), but they'll do very well. Of that I'm sure.

There is a huge difference between directing a high school and corps full of college students (some high school people too). I hope they have success in the years to come, I just dont think that they will make finals this year.

I'd say the X-Men will be in the bottom 4 of the finals. I think Chambers and his staff will work wonders for them, but he does not have the necessary experience as a director for corps. Best of luck to the X-Men this year though. I don't see them not making finals with the staff they have, but I certainly dont expect them to be near or pass the top 6.

All of these are noteworthy accomplishments, but let's not forget that Regean was a split off from Churchill. It's not like Chambers was starting with kids who didn't know what they were doing.

All of these are noteworthy accomplishments, but let's not forget that Regean was a split off from Churchill.  It's not like Chambers was starting with kids who didn't know what they were doing.

Yes, he did receive many talented players from Churchill, which helped to jump-start the Reagan program. Note, though, that of the 3 classes that started at one school and graduated at Reagan, one made a "major" accomplishment: Winning Houston (2001). After that, all the students started at Reagan, including the classes that placed 11th, 2nd, and 2nd at GN, as well as the classes who won two Arlington regionals, two SA Super-Regionals, and made it to UIL State twice (out of a possible two times), making finals once. Yes, Reagan got a great start from all of the Churchill talent that moved over, but Chambers was able to cultivate that talent beyond what moved over from Churchill. Chances are there are going to be plenty of vets who come from other corps, as well as a plethera of musical talent from all over Texas, giving Chambers a good foundation to start on. He just has to learn how to play in DCI with the big boys, and given 4 years, I've no doubt that he'll learn to play very well.

Ok ok ok, suffice to say, Mark Chambers did remarkable things in a short time with A) Great kids B) Great support C) Great staff but you can say that for EVERY championship team. The Longhorns won because of talent, support, and staff......so did the Spurs, Patriots, Cavaliers, etc etc etc. We get that.

I'm just REALLY interested to see MIKE SLOAN (is there anyone who does NOT love that Churchill Guard???) added to the X-Men staff. Looks like things are shaping up nicely in Reagan/X-Men land.

Mike Sloan will be a great addition to the staff, but this isn't all about Reagan. It's about the Crossmen, and what they'll bring to TX, in addition to what TX will bring to them. Yes, Reagan's head director will be directing the Crossmen, and yes, they'll be "stationed" out of Reagan, but with everything you keep saying about Reagan, it sounds like you're forgetting the Bell kids who might be interested, as well as anyone from Richland, SFA, Marcus, any all-staters who would like to try out... need I continue? My point is that it's not all about Reagan and the Crossmen; it's all about Texas and the Crossmen.

QUOTE (bariphonium @ Oct 8 2006, 11:31 AM)
you're forgetting the Bell kids who might be interested

Such as me, and quite a few others. He makes a good point ^^^

Oh and my vote of them winning them all was a joke btw. I belive they will be from around 10-14 for the next couple of years but once they get settled in i can see them improving in placements

Mike Sloan will be a great addition to the staff, but this isn't all about Reagan. It's about the Crossmen, and what they'll bring to TX, in addition to what TX will bring to them. Yes, Reagan's head director will be directing the Crossmen, and yes, they'll be "stationed" out of Reagan, but with everything you keep saying about Reagan, it sounds like you're forgetting the Bell kids who might be interested, as well as anyone from Richland, SFA, Marcus, any all-staters who would like to try out... need I continue? My point is that it's not all about Reagan and the Crossmen; it's all about Texas and the Crossmen.

Whoa hey now, weren't you the guy who was just singing the praises of Chambers and Reagan? Wasn't I the guy saying that kids from all over the state will sit up and take notice of the Crossmen? I even argued against the idea that Chambers will take Reagan kids over others simply because they are Reagan. I'm very interested in seeing how this affects DCI as a whole as well as TX bands an students. I still believe this will have a profound impact over the next 5-10 years.

I want to see what upper-echelon Texas students (I mean Cavies or SCV or Bluecoats worthy) will do. No doubt there will be several rookies and Div. II and III (most likely from Revo or sumthn) kids there, but how will location sway those that could get spots in top-5 corps?

That's not something you can predict, really. That's just something that'll be answered when the time comes.

(btw, is there any audition music up, yet?)