Can anyone complete the "Texas Double" this year?

ViewFromTheBox

It's no secret that Texas high school marching band and football go together like peanut butter and jelly. They are two peas in a pod. They are — well, you get the idea.

So that brings me to this question: has anyone completed what I call the "Texas Double". That is, has any school had their marching band go to the Alamodome in late October/early November and win the state marching band title and then their football team go to AT&T Stadium in December and walk out with a football state title?

The answer is (surprisingly or unsurprisingly depending on your point of view) is yes, it has happened, but it's extremely rare. In fact, it's happened only twice.

Cedar Park was the first to do it in 2015, nabbing the first of five-straight 5A titles in marching band and then defeating Mansfield Lake Ridge in the football state title game (in Houston because poor location decisions were made that year).

Argyle completed the feat in 2020, winning the first of back-to-back marching band titles and then defeating Lindale in the 4A DI state title game.

(And for the record, no one has completed the "Texas Treble" (marching band - football - volleyball).)

So that brings me to my next question: will we see someone complete the "Texas Double" this year? Let's take a look at the contenders.

• 6A - Vandergrift - Vandergrift is probably our best hope for someone winning both this year, but it's going to be a long shot. The Vipers start off in bi-district play facing off against Lake Travis. Then in the regional final, they'll probably have to face Westlake. And then things really get tricky with possible match ups against Galena Park North Shore and Duncanville in the state semis and finals respectively. If you're new to TXHSFB, North Shore and Duncanville have played each other in the four of the last five 6A DI state title games. If the Vipers pull it off, it will be more than a well-earned feat. But it's still a long shot.
  • 5A - Cedar Park - The Timberwolves are in the playoffs, and we know anything can happen in the playoffs. Most of the DCTF crew has them losing Friday night. But even if they get through, they would still have a lot of work to get out of Region III. And then of course there's Aledo sitting there in the state title game. 2015 more than likely is not repeating this year.
  • 4A - Celina - Historically, Celina has always been a contender to win in football. But the Bobcats face an uphill battle this year. There's a potential regional semifinal match up with Region II favorite Stephenville. And if they survive that, Frisco Panther Creek (who Celina beat for the marching band title, but lost to in the last week of the football regular season) awaits in the region final. If they survive that gauntlet, I think they can get to AT&T stadium, but Kilgore or Boerne will be a tall task in the final.
  • 3A - Whitesboro - I'm going to be honest, I don't see Whitesboro getting out of the second round, and even if they did, Brock is going to with the region going away.
  • 2A - Rivercrest - Rivercrest did not make the playoffs.
  • 1A - Menard - Menard did not make the playoffs.

Overall, I don't think we're going to see anyone pull off the "Texas Double" this year. But this is sports where the unexpected happens a lot, so we shall see.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:50 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

6A - Vandergrift - Vandergrift is probably our best hope for someone winning both this year, but it's going to be a long shot.

Welp, kiss of death from me, apparently. Lake Travis knocks off Vandergrift 13-10 on a last-second field goal.

Elsewhere, Cedar Park comes back to beat New Braunfels Canyon 20-16. Celina rolled over Paris 49-14. And Whitesboro comes back to beat Tuscola Jim Ned 35-34.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

Welp, kiss of death from me, apparently. Lake Travis knocks off Vandergrift 13-10 on a last-second field goal.

Elsewhere, Cedar Park comes back to beat New Braunfels Canyon 20-16. Celina rolled over Paris 49-14. And Whitesboro comes back to beat Tuscola Jim Ned 35-34.

Cedar Park still alive and kicking, with a win over Angleton last week and an upcoming game against A&M Consolidated in College Station this week.  The Timberwolves lost the first matchup 24-16 and Consolidated should be the favorite once again, but ya never know...

Thanks! I completely forgot to update this thread over the weekend.

As mentioned, Cedar Park advances to the regional semis. Celina also advanced in 4A DI Region II where they will play Stephenville in what should be a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend battle.

We did, however, lose 3A champ Whitesboro who fell 60-19 to Bushland.

Bonus fun fact: if Celina and Frisco Panther Creek win this weekend, we'll have a battle between 1st and 2nd place in 4A state marching band for the Region II title. In fact, the top 3 in 4A are 3 of the 4 remaining teams in Region II.