Whats the longest you've ever practiced?

I woke up about 7 am on a Saturday--ate breakfast, took a crap, etc. Started roughly about 8 am. Warmed up on lip slurs, progressed to tonguing (single, double, then triple), then went to scales (major, minor--natural, harmonic, melodic). Played them in different patterns (8/16, 16/32. tongue up/slur down, etc). Then I ate lunch and used the restroom about 1 pm--watched a little bit of the TV. Started up again about 2:30. Then I started to practice my audition music for wind ensemble auditions for college. That piece is a bioch. I ended about 5:30/6ish. Then I put ice on my lips.

Its not good to practice continously

if you practice for 1 hour, your brain only remembers 20% of what you practiced, so thats about 13 minutes of actual practice

if youre going to practice for that long, i suggest you take frequent breaks for 5-10 minutes

But i did practice 4 hours for TSSEC

1 hour before school

1 hour during class

30 minutes lunch

1 and a half after school

Its not good to practice continously

if you practice for 1 hour, your brain only remembers 20% of what you practiced, so thats about 13 minutes of actual practice

if youre going to practice for that long, i suggest you take frequent breaks for 5-10 minutes

I disagree with these statements. But that is my opinion--as you are entitled to yours.

I disagree with these statements. But that is my opinion--as you are entitled to yours.

There is an article I came across last night that says that taking breaks helps you make memories.

Here's some quotes from the article...

Coffee Break Brain: Study Finds Taking Breaks Helps Form Memories

"David Foster and his colleagues say that when rats take a break while exploring an unfamiliar area, their brains instantly replay the information they've just gathered."

"'This immediately suggested some kind of learning mechanism occurring at times when the animal has just had an experience, but has in fact stopped,' he says.

Foster theorizes that this repeated rewind gives other parts of the brain time to process and store the information."

"Perhaps we don't take breaks seriously enough," Foster says. "Perhaps we're wrong to expect all learning to occur on the job. Perhaps an important part of learning in general, and in jobs and at school, is occurring during breaks."

link: http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view....le_id=218392812

yea, personally, i don't agree with that either.

over the christmas break this past year i started learning my solo for solo/ensemble. i would do about four to five hours continuously everyday. after the second day, i had a page and a half of the music memorized. and i promise you, it wasn't anything easy. check out dubois concert for saxophone third movement. i prefer practicing in long sessions cuz i memorize things pretty easily. at the end of the first week, i could play the entire six page movement by memory. not cleanly, but i could.

• 4 years later...

I've actually considered from time to time of going back and *bumping* a bunch of old topics that I think would be interesting to rekindle discussion for.

We encourage users to resurrect old topics if they feel they have a new perspective to offer to the thread. As TxBands is an archive just as much as it is a community we will never delete dead threads unless there's valid reason to (SPAM, inappropriate content, uncalled-for conduct etc.)

I've actually considered from time to time of going back and *bumping* a bunch of old topics that I think would be interesting to rekindle discussion for.

We encourage users to resurrect old topics if they feel they have a new perspective to offer to the thread. As TxBands is an archive just as much as it is a community we will never delete dead threads unless there's valid reason to (SPAM, inappropriate content, uncalled-for conduct etc.)

Ahh well I will do my part and look for one to bring back like "Word"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...