FIFA World Cup

TX Suh-nare

france (only cuz i don't like brazil)

I hate the French gov't for being pansies, but I hate Brazil's team for being too good of a team.

Good call.

Also, the gme between Ecuador and England looks like it'll be one of the best in the tourney. England seems to be an all-star team, and Ecuador just upsetted its way to Sweet 16.

This game looks to be one of the best in the Cup altogether!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England seems to be an all-star team

This game looks to be one of the best in the Cup altogether!

i agree about england being an all-star team. however, with the loss of michael owen, england can't push forward owen and rooney to the forward positions. instead, england will have to put in peter crouch. now, personally, i think crouch is the most useless player on the england squad. despite his towering height, his vertical jump sucks, allowing shorter defenders to win the headers against him just because they jump higher than he does. he's not fast and he doesn't have any ball control. if owen didn't tear his ACL, england would have owen and rooney up on the front, two of the brightest young strikers in the game. they'd pretty much be unstoppable. instead, they have to put in crouch and serve up useless balls to him.

now about owen, it's horrible that he tore his ACL. he's such a promising young star that one just hates to see something like that happen. more often than not, tearing one's ACL usually leads to the end of a career. shame shame shame.

also, since i'm speaking of newer strikers, what about the tevez-messi lineup. the two of them did wonders for argentina's offense and would draw almost the entire mexican squad back to defend them. i'm thinking about changing some stuff about my bracket. argentina looked really good today.

I think, except for a few select games, this world cup has practically been devoid of scoring. I also believe that too many yellow and red cards have been given out. I have not seen anybody play well enough for me to decide that they might claim the title yet.

numbers wise, i think you're right. this world cup had 116 qualifying round goals. 2002 saw 128 while 1998 saw 124. nevertheless, one certainly could not call this year's world cup boring. the style of play from all the teams in this year's competition has changed so much from years past- biggest change probably coming from the germans. in 2002 the germans loved playing the long balls into the box and hope for a header. they've completely revamped their once utterly boring style of play into much more entertaining soccer. i remember watching the 2002 finals and being completely bored. i think i actually fell asleep during it and not only because it aired at lk 6am or something; it was just boring. even with the less number of goals, this competition is amazingly more enjoyable to watch.

the only teams i think that haven't completely changed their styles of play are brazil, netherlands, and italy. brazil is always so patient on the ball, because each and every single one of their players has the skill to be. it's no wonder that italy has the best defense in the world with starters like alessandro nesta and cannavaro. their defense stops and then they give the ball to one of their dazzling strikers- be it luca toni, gilardino, inzaghi, or in past years, christian vieri. the netherlands always plays their "total soccer"... the idea that each player, be it forward or goalie can play any position on the field at any time. the netherlands always like to lose playing pretty soccer rather than win playing dirty. their game against portugal kinda went against this idea but 99.99% of the time they play this way. one man has the ball, three options to past to other players. i love the netherlands soccer.

Portugal vs Netherlands = 16 yellows (tied the FIFA World Cup record)

Nine yellows for Portugal and seven yellows for the Netherlands. Two red cards for both teams. Regardless, cards are overhyped by the stereotypical ESPN analyst. And besides referees--like marching/concert band judges--referee (for lack of a better word) the match. The specator, competitors, staff does not. We can have our opinion about it but when it comes down to the decision the trained referees are most likely to be right. ;)

I also believe that too many yellow and red cards have been given out.

FIFA issued a statement saying tht the refs were told to crackdon on more of the "minor" offenses, like pulling of shirts and such. If you wanna blme anybody, blame FIFA.

And the USA red cards vs. Italy, as a soccer ref myself, I could go either way.

germany vs. sweden

Germany because theyre done playing so i win

argentina vs. mexico

Argentina 2-1

italy vs. australia

Italy 3-0

switzerland vs. ukraine

Ukraine on pk

ecuador vs. england

england 2-1

netherlands vs. portugal

Netherlands 2-0

ghana vs. brazil

Brazil 5-0

france vs. spain

Spain 3-2

Germany v. Argentina

Germany 3-1

Italy v. Ukraine

Italy 3-0

England v. Netherlands

Netherlands 1-0

Brazil v. Spain

Brazil 2-1

Germany v. Italy

Germany 1-1 and wins in pk

Netherlands v. Brazil

Netherlands 4-3

Netherlands v. Germany

Germany 2-0

talk about predictions

8-2 on my predictions so far =D

and 3 of those games were exactly the same score i put XD XD XD

so imma modify my predictions for the 2nd half of the quarter finals and the rest of the WC

Quarter Finals

England v. Portugal

Portugal 2-1 on Extra Time

Brazil v. France

France 2-1

Semi-Finals

Germany v. Italy

errrrr....gamble...Italy 3-2 Extra Time

Portugal v. France

Brazil 4-3

Portugal v. Germany (3rd place match)

Germany 2-0

WC Final

France vs. Italy

Italy 2-1

My predictions:

Semis

England vs. Brazil

Germany vs. France

WC Finals

England vs. Germany

After a very hard fought duel, a goal is scored in the 2nd half of stoppage time that breaks the 1-1 tie. They winner of the FIFA World Cup: England

3rd Place

Brazil vs France

Come on---Brazil--thats a no brainer.

My predictions:

Semis

England vs. Brazil

Germany vs. France

WC Finals

England vs. Germany

After a very hard fought duel, a goal is scored in the 2nd half of stoppage time that breaks the 1-1 tie. They winner of the FIFA World Cup: England

3rd Place

Brazil vs France

Come on---Brazil--thats a no brainer.

haha sorry to disappoint you, but your bracket is messed up. france and brazil are playing each other in the quarterfinals tomorrow. thus, they cannot both advance to the semifinals. also, germany plays italy in the semifinals. the other half of the semifinal bracket is determined tomorrow. england vs. portugal and france vs. brazil.

i think portugal is going to beat england. france has a shot at beating brazil if they played the way they did against spain. italy beats germany in semifinals. france beats england. italy wins world cup over france. germany beats england for third place.

wow two excellent matches today. rooney's stupid, stupid foul on the portugese midfielder costed england the match. A) he shouldn't have stepped on the guy's crotch. B) he shouldn't have pushed cristiano ronaldo. after he left the game england's attacking game just couldn't get anything going.

and YES!!! FRANCE BEAT BRAZIL! i knew it could happen because brazil wasn't playing well as a team. france completely owned brazil through most of the game. now bracket time...

germany vs. italy- wow... uh italy 2-1

france vs. portugal- france 1-0

italy vs. france- oh i don't really care who wins this... i'd be happy.