Invention in Four Parts: Now Completed

I am currently working on a new show entitled

Invention in 4 Parts: A Questionable Show About Nuclear Fission

It is divided, as you may have guessed, into four sections.

1. Theory

2. Design

3. Utilization

4. Ramifications

Have a listen and enjoy. And yes, I did use the climax from "Experimentation" since that piece weas just that; an experiment. So, I tossed it, and took the climax, rescored it, transposed it, changed one or two things and worked it into this new show.

Anyways, here's the link:

Invention in 4 Parts

Well, this show is a bit different in that the beginning is based off of drill I've had in mind for a while that I though would be really cool; that is, to have a series of tight circles of different intrument sections, then have another circle jazz run in off field, collide with one of the stationary circles, causeing both to burst. Then fragments of both would collide with other circles and cause them to rupture as well. And I always like writing shows about scientific things, along with other themes about the nature of people, so I figured that this drill was a great representation of fission, and I figured that you couldn't have a whole show about one process, so I expanded the scope of my ideas. It now encompasses the whole idea of Invention, of scientific progress, and the ramifications of such developements. In this case, of course, that refers foremost to the creation of nuclear arms.

Therefore this show exists on three levels: The scientific phenomenon of Nuclear Fission and its developement, the human drive for progress despite setbacks, and the history of the World War II era into the Cold War.

Positives:

Nice melodies/countermelodies

Nice use of dynamics and effect crescendos

Overall flow was good

Constructive Criticism:

The drum beat and something else (can't remember at this moment) in the about the 1:30 to 2:00 range was the same throughout (if I heard correctly). Try adding an off beat or switching beats to change the rhythm to avoid repetition.

EX) do--do--do do--do do do--do--do

TO) do--do--do do do--do--do do--do

During the sustained impact point (my band director pointed this out on my compositions) the winds have sustained whole notes and such. Most players (even professionals) can not sustain 30 seconds to a minute of pure volume (as in your piece without 1) decaying and 2) playing in balance.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions. I am not qualified in the subject area of composition. :D

that is, to have a series of tight circles of different intrument sections, then have another circle jazz run in off field, collide with one of the stationary circles, causeing both to burst. Then fragments of both would collide with other circles and cause them to rupture as well.

that would be really cool to see, maybe the colorgaurd could dress in those big lab suits or something. jk

Positives:

Nice melodies/countermelodies

Nice use of dynamics and effect crescendos

Overall flow was good

Constructive Criticism:

The drum beat and something else (can't remember at this moment) in the about the 1:30 to 2:00 range was the same throughout (if I heard correctly). Try adding an off beat or switching beats to change the rhythm to avoid repetition.

EX) do--do--do do--do do do--do--do

TO) do--do--do do do--do--do do--do

During the sustained impact point (my band director pointed this out on my compositions) the winds have sustained whole notes and such. Most players (even professionals) can not sustain 30 seconds to a minute of pure volume (as in your piece without 1) decaying and 2) playing in balance.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions. I am not qualified in the subject area of composition. :D

I understand your second point; stagger breathing (or perhaps circular for some) would definitely be key there. As to the first suggestion, it is an ostinato; it is meant to not be changed and is a unifying rythmic component for the actual fission parts of the movement.

At the beginning, when there is order among the system, there is a simple compound 3/4 setup with a basic quarter note pulse. The fission section, however, is a 4/4 setup with a 3+3+3+3+2+2 eight note pulse over two bars. There is then a return to earlier melodic ideas, featuring a modulated version of the oboe solo, then a pure restatement of the intro featuring the 3/4 pulse. Shortly thereafter, however, the melodic idea is imitated by the trumpets, but it is diminished such that it is twice as fast. And now, it is in 4/4 and it is soon modulated and set upon the backdrop of the 3+3+3+3+2+2 pattern, and slowly forms into the sax solo, which decrescendoes into the trumpet trio, and the second movement.

I appreciate your suggestion and other comments/compliments, but on this topic I had a very precise intent, and so it is essential to the music's integrity that I keep the rythm constant in such sections.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...