Rank Leader/Drum Major Tryouts

drum major is overrated. As a section leader, you get to arrive at school later, conduct a smaller group so it's more personal, you still get to march, you still get to play in the stands, screw around in the stands, AND most importantly, you get to march. Did I mention that you get to march too?

Goooooo section leaders!!!

Trying out for French Horn section leader. Wouldn't say that Drum Major is overated, because the postition shows you have great skill and leadership ability and it's a very prestigous postition, but yeah, I would be a section leader over drum major anyday of the week.

pretty much what I was trying to say. B)

I find being Drum Major not a waste of time.

I don't think I want the responsibility a Drum Major has though. I agree with the smaller section..and if I was DM, then I wouldn't be able to march without marching.... I'll just be a fat blob.

That's nasty.

Anyways, We had our RL/DM meeting today. It looks like the tryouts are going to be harder this year...still not afraid.

Yeah, we don't have to try out to be section leader...we're just placed! That's a good thing, because marching is my weak spot. I'm still not totally sure if i should tryout for DM again...it was really hard not getting it last year (but once i got clarinet section leader all was well again..well, almost!) and I'm not sure if it's worth the whole week process (including conducting in class, essay, marching routine, interview, musical exerpt and basic tryout--commands and basic marching concepts) to not make it again. But it IS my last chance, so I'm contemplating it. Anyway, enough about me----good luck to everyone trying out for section/rank leader and/or DM!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

3 Days of it and today was it. Section Leader auditions...the sun was beaming, nerves were crawling all over me, but i marched with confidence. Also that coordinence test we had was easy and the essay was easy also. I will not get picked however, well wait and see in band banquet. Maybe ill serve in the Technology Department in the Student Leadership Team. Who knows :)

Now we gotta play the waiting game, also gotta practice my audition music <_<

But all of that will wait...4 days of relaxation in Padre starting tommorow...ahh

AHH DM AUDITIONS SOON AHHH

lol

i am a section leader right now...its cool

but id have to disagree with u

id much rather be a dm over a section leader..

its the prestige behind it

the stance

ahh

its just..

..i guess its hard to explain..harder than i thought before i started this little post

AHH (how should i explain it)

let just say...

in my personal opinion

DM > Section Leader (lol i took the calculus ap test today < > < > <> ><< X^2)

(although they are both important positions)

if someone else wants to explain what you think im trying to write have at it

mm...I'm trying out for band president. Woop. No idea if I'll get it, haha! I guess we shall see.

I was going to run for Drum Major but then realized that I wouldn't enjoy it because I LOVE to march. Seriously. I respect DMs and all that, but I would much rather be running around the field and doing cool visuals (especially since I'm on the cymbal line) rather than stand on a podium. but that's just me.

wahoooooo!

• 3 weeks later...

i'm section leader, and i just got next years section leader as well, and its not that i dont like it...but its the dirty work. you have to make sure your section is awesome plus teach those how to march and stuff. and although DM is more honored, section leader works just as hard as a DM. :D thats why i chose it over DM. :D