Pearland 

Clear Brook

Clear Lake 

SFA 

Dawson

Clear Falls 

Brazoswood 

Dickinson 

Clements? (No idea what to expect after their shockingly low boa conroe placement) 

1: Pearland

2: Dawson

3: Dickinson (they are going to have a special year, love what I see and hear) 

4: Clear Brook 

5: SFA (I have hope for them, just need to develop that show) 

6: Brazoswood 

7: Clear Falls 

8: Clear Lake 

9: Shadow Creek 

The tenth spot could be taken by a number of groups, including Clements, Dulles, Ridge Point, Pasadena Memorial, Travis, etc.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:43 PM, Cityscapes said:

2: Dawson

3: Dickinson (they are going to have a special year, love what I see and hear) 

4: Clear Brook 

5: SFA (I have hope for them, just need to develop that show) 

6: Brazoswood 

7: Clear Falls 

8: Clear Lake 

The tenth spot could be taken by a number of groups, including Clements, Dulles, Ridge Point, Pasadena Memorial, Travis, etc.

I bet after some shocking comp results this weekend your predictions might be shaken up a bit lol.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, Cityscapes said:

If your going by yesterday:

2: SFA

3: Dickinson 

4: Brazoswood 

5: Clear Brook 

6: Dawson 

7: Clear Lake

8: Clear Falls

10: Ridge Point

I think everything is still a little early to call. Haven't heard much about Ridge Point this year, or in the past so I'm quite surprised to see them in your finals predictions. Loving what a lot of bands are doing this year, seems like everybody stepped it up!

On 10/3/2022 at 11:46 PM, ExtremeCream said:

I think everything is still a little early to call. Haven't heard much about Ridge Point this year, or in the past so I'm quite surprised to see them in your finals predictions. Loving what a lot of bands are doing this year, seems like everybody stepped it up!

Even though it was US Bands they beat Clear Lake and Shadow Creek but it is early season tbh for a lot of groups and some haven't finished adding a lot as well a some groups that have more difficult drill haven't peaked yet.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jadyn said:

Does anyone know how many bands advance to state?

Advancing to state is done at the area level. Generally, if there are less than 15 bands in the area, the top 2 advance to the state contest. If there are more than 15 bands, there are three advancers plus one additional for each added group of five eligible bands.

The big exception is the "bad judge" rule. If two music judges and one music judge ranks a band in the top 3, they automatically advance to the state contest.

The average number of advancing bands from an area is around 4-5, although there have been 7 advancers in some instances. The total number of state participants varies with conference, with 1A-3A typically having around 15 participants, 4A with 20, 5A with 30, and 6A with 40.

Hopefully I did a decent job explaining.

36 minutes ago, TexasWoo1999 said:

A Lot has changed in this Area:

1. Pearland (Wins Visual)

2. SFA (Wins Music)

3. Dawson

4. Clear Brook

5.Brazoswood 

————————————————

6. Dickinson

7. Clear Falls

8. Clements

9. Shadow Creek

10. Clear Lake

(11. Dulles)

Pearland musically is behind where they normally are, but after watching SFA and Dawson performances I would still confidently put Pearland ahead musically.

I could easily see Pearland, SFA, or Clear Brook winning this area. I think Dickinson could do well here again as they did last year at this area in prelims. Dawson and Brazoswood are the next biggest contenders for me and I think they will be fighting for the last spot in my opinion. Dawson had the upper hand at BOA against Brazoswood but its been a few weeks now and anything is possible! I think Clements will make finals as well as Clear Falls and Clear lake and I think they will all three be sitting in the 7-9 spots Saturday night. They've all three been matched competitively all season with Clements making a big jump competitively from BOA conroe to the Katy marching fest. As an alum, I'm happy to see that improvement. A couple of the other Fort Bend schools have very impressive shows this year as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dulles in finals. 

56 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

I could easily see Pearland, SFA, or Clear Brook winning this area. I think Dickinson could do well here again as they did last year at this area in prelims. Dawson and Brazoswood are the next biggest contenders for me and I think they will be fighting for the last spot in my opinion. Dawson had the upper hand at BOA against Brazoswood but its been a few weeks now and anything is possible! I think Clements will make finals as well as Clear Falls and Clear lake and I think they will all three be sitting in the 7-9 spots Saturday night. They've all three been matched competitively all season with Clements making a big jump competitively from BOA conroe to the Katy marching fest. As an alum, I'm happy to see that improvement. A couple of the other Fort Bend schools have very impressive shows this year as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dulles in finals. 

Draw order doesn’t play out well for Dickinson, they perform 1st in Prelims AND Finals. Exactly what Dawson did last year.

Clear Brook & Brazoswood sound very similar to me, watching their UIL performance I could hear consistent individuals in their sound, that does not bode well for them.

Pearland has easy music but a really intricate Visual package and should 100% win the Visual ordinals here they don’t sound bad but are top heavy. 

Dawson has the hardest music book at this contest as well as drill very similar to the 1990-2000 era of marching band in general, very exposed, mostly curved  forms, very very hard to clean. Their 20th place finish at BOA Katy was out-of-left field and I still can’t really understand it.

Dickinson is Very clean and sound Very good, however, they have one of the easiest shows here. Most of the marching is 4x4 blocks/forms that are very fundamental.

No matter what happens Pearland should win. If the judges favor Cleanliness Dawson will be the most negatively effected, Dickinson will do very well. Overall this contest should be better judged then last year.

Today @ Challenger Stadium was the Gulf Coast Classic Marching Festival:

Top 6

1st) Dickinson

2nd) Clear Brook 

3rd) Clements 

4) Clear Lake

5) ?

6) Brazoswood 

Dickinson, Clear Brook & Clements remained 1 2 and 3 in prelims and finals. Brazoswood was 6th at prelims and in finals, kind of a surprise.