Bands of America (BOA)

This is completly off topic but, this is how the some of the Valley Band system works out in terms of Drum Corp style.

Sharyland = Santa Clara Vanguard

Harlingen = Cadets

Donna/Edinburg = Phantom Regiment

If you could help make this a more expansive list that would be cool!

Oh, and trumpetman1288, is your Band coming to that Music is Cool cap in Donna?

That's actually just about as much as I know as far as Valley band marching styles. As far as I know, the rest, or at least a majority are military style marching bands.

We recently took up on SCV's marching style last year and hit it REAL hard. Hopefully it pays off for this year. I've known about Harlingen following the Cadets' style, but I don't know how long they have been following that.

And that camp....I heard about that, but we aren't. We start our own full band camp next week. From what I hear, they are going to really hit the visual aspects and musicality of our band this year. Honestly, I just hope it all pays off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What the heck is Mansfield doing going all the way out to St. Louis?  :blink:

We got new director this year with big ambitions for our show.

He's writing our show along with many other bands that i can't think of right now. But he's on staff with Bluecoats.

Also there are not many Texas bands at the contest in St. Louis, so we'll have a better chance.

And for the past 3 years our trip has been to San Antonio, which everyone was getting sick of.

Those are the reasons i can think of right now, but we made finals in Arlington, which is probably one of the hardest contests.

We got new director this year with big ambitions for our show.

He's writing our show along with many other bands that i can't think of right now. But he's on staff with Bluecoats.

Also there are not many Texas bands at the contest in St. Louis, so we'll have a better chance.

And for the past 3 years our trip has been to San Antonio, which everyone was getting sick of.

Those are the reasons i can think of right now, but we made finals in Arlington, which is probably one of the hardest contests.

From the little I heard and saw at Arlington yall certainly are going big, and I wish you the best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
no offense but some of these schools competing, wtf are they thinking?!?!

they're probably going to a) expose their students to some of the best bands in the state and B) improve their program by entering the 'BOA scene'. it's not a bad decision. not everyone has been doing BOA since the 80's. for example marcus's first BOA competition was in 2002, so a lot of band directors probably have plans to do something like that. not every band that goes to BOA is gonna be a finalist band, but a lot of people have hopes of becoming one. and i see no problem with that.

Even if you didn't mean it, that question if VERY offensive. Marching band in Texas is a vast and competitive sport. In order for a band to get better, they need see and compete with great bands. This is a chance to expose them to those bands.

i feel like crap...i was just kidding. i know how bad that looks. sorry=[

plus, we're going to super regionals + i don't think we`re gonna do as well as the big bands.