Dark Horses and Surprises in 2018

Don't know if Flower Mound or CTJ count as dark horses lol.

Westlake, Churchill, Harlingen, and LD Bell are bands I'm trying to keep an eye out for.

Many are counting out Harlingen due to the director change, but many forget, they are the most consistent program in the valley. Those kids don't know any reality where they don't make state.

I've heard it put this way: There may not be a whole lot of flashy stuff going on, but every kid plays and puts out a good controlled sound as well as everyone hitting their sets beautifully.

Funny thing is my former band director went to Harlingen, and then when he retired, his successor also happened to be a Harlingen alumni. I believe Churchill's director is a Harlingen alumni as well. Plus their school sounds like my last name so I'm forced to love them

WHy did Harlingen stop going to BOA in the valley?  Harlingen was right in the mix with Wylie and Plano East in 2016 around 30th.  If they got into the top 10 at state, however, that would be a first.  Just goes to show you how strong Texas marching bands are, Harlingen is a great band with a strong tradition.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised to see TWHS with a medal again or Leander in the top half of BOA SA. They are sounding a lot better than last year around this time and they usually put out good visual production.

Dark Horse:

-I am really excited to see/hear Vista Ridge's production. Their show is a cool concept. I thought they sounded like a budding state finalist band in a video I saw a couple of weeks ago.

-Duncanville also has a cool show theme and new design leadership (if I'm not mistaken), so cannot wait to see them return to BOA.

Surprises: 

-I'm curious to Marcus handling of Drinkwater retiring. Her direction really made them shine.

-There have been pretty big shake ups at Round Rock and Henny. No clue what they will lead to.

-Argyle's director also retired and they got someone from Richland. Curious if they'll return to state champ after they were narrowly edged out by N Lamar via judges preference.

-Pearland had a very underrated show last year, I'm curious to their showing this year.

-Del Rio impressed me when I saw their Midland show, I want to see them grow.

Yes, I agree totally. Although Duncanville has had some disappointing outcomes in the past couple years, I'm sure they're ready to rejuvenate from what has been rough for a consistently exceptional band. So don't let it catch you by surprise as Duncanville being in one of the top spots in upcoming contests.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TWHS with a medal again or Leander in the top half of BOA SA. They are sounding a lot better than last year around this time and they usually put out good visual production.

Dark Horse:

-I am really excited to see/hear Vista Ridge's production. Their show is a cool concept. I thought they sounded like a budding state finalist band in a video I saw a couple of weeks ago.

-Duncanville also has a cool show theme and new design leadership (if I'm not mistaken), so cannot wait to see them return to BOA.

Surprises: 

-I'm curious to Marcus handling of Drinkwater retiring. Her direction really made them shine.

-There have been pretty big shake ups at Round Rock and Henny. No clue what they will lead to.

-Argyle's director also retired and they got someone from Richland. Curious if they'll return to state champ after they were narrowly edged out by N Lamar via judges preference.

-Pearland had a very underrated show last year, I'm curious to their showing this year.

-Del Rio impressed me when I saw their Midland show, I want to see them grow.

Pearland has a very well designed show last year and they put on a great show. Performance wise they are continuing to grow stronger as a program, but with a more difficult theme (Their show is entitled Open and Shut), will they leave the same impact on their audience as last year? I’m excited to see how they perform on Saturday at Conroe