ok So a full day of bands ... To me the best i have seen over all in 6 yrs of attending

CY Falls above all best band today.

Cy fair still top four

Langham creek - How can you go wrong with send in the Clowns.  But overall not that impreshed with the show . Deserved   the one rateings but will really have to do something different to advance to state.

Clear creek ...Shout out to the Bass Trombone player ... Wow good job. A 2 (NOW f****  WAY !)

Cy ranch Moves up  in my rankings.

Now I really feel sorry for the bands that did not advance, Once again our region  kills there own and will advance 1 maybe 2 cy fairs schools at best . There was only 2 schools today that should not of gotten  a one rateing .

IF I HEARD RIGHT 5 out of 12 school advaance to area ?

Get a rope !

wait are you saying that only those five bands are going to area.

The UIL Area Marching contest is known for being a very political and highly biased event, especially in Area E. If you look through past years and observe the judges of this Area, you will notice that Tom Bennett and Marion West have been judges, both who have worked or work at The University of Houston and have strong friendships with the directors of Langham Creek and Jersey Village High Schools. While it is true that the Langham Creek band has a rich musical history, much of that history has nothing to do with the state of the program currently. The last strong marching band performance given by Langham Creek was in 2008, when the band placed moderately well at the State Marching Contest performing the music of Bela Bartok. I was there for their Area Finals performance in '08 and was very impressed. Two years later, I attended the Finals again with a group of fellow musicians. It was very obvious that Langham Creek was not the best band there, nor even among the top 5 contenders (though certainly worthy of making finals). However, they finished with a 2nd place win. The political influence at these contests is overwhelming. Langham Creek has ridden the coattails of its prior successes for far too long, which most people are in agreement about. Baredex, you sited how Morton Ranch made the finals of Lone Star Preview in 2012, which Langham did not. I wonder why that is? The answer is because none of the judges had any connection to Langham Creek, allowing their performance to be fairly scored. I believe the school has many merits to its music program, especially its concert band. But in the marching band realm, it is given far too much credit where credit is not due. The school is an average marching band with off and on performances. Many times the judges selected for these contests are older and come from a different generation; they associate Langham Creek with the school it once was in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The reason this is bothersome is because other marching bands are making a splash in this area. They must work so much harder, though, to impress judges because they have no celebrated history to rely upon. They have no political clout, basically. Three Katy ISD schools - James E. Taylor, Morton Ranch, and Seven Lakes - are great examples. They are programs that are on the rise, with hard-working students and fantastic leadership. What I mean by all this is that Langham Creek can give a "poor" performance and still place above other schools due to the weight its name carries. The judges selected for Area E this year are a great batch, and as always, I hope they will be fair and honest about what they see/hear. (P.S. Tom Shine has never judged this Area before. He did judge the Region 23 Marching contest in 2013.) If Langham Creek does advance, I hope it is because they give an incredible performance that is worthy of beating other schools. My predictions listed alphabetically:

Top 5:

Clements (high contender for 1st place)

Cy-Fair

Cy-Falls

Morton Ranch

SFA

Bottom 5:

Cinco Ranch (I'm iffy about this. Their program is better this year but still unclean.)

Cypress Ranch

James E. Taylor

Langham Creek (could beat out someone in Top 5)

Seven Lakes (could beat out someone in Top 5)

On the Bubble:

Cypress Creek (doing really well this season!) , Jersey Village, Katy, William B. Travis

you say the reason langham does good at area is mostly because of the judges, and im not saying your wrong, but if that is true how come langham still beat clements and seven lakes at state with different judges. are you saying that the judges at state are also biased towards langham creek. I think the judging at area was accurate because the bands that advanced stayed in the same exact order.

Well, the State Marching Contest is a "whole other ballgame", so to speak. I haven't checked to see who the judges are this year, but typically the judges are college directors or celebrated high school band directors. It certainly is political as well. Case in point, when L.D. Bell finished 3rd in 2012 behind a good heap of bands who probably should have placed higher. If you analyze Langham Creek's preliminary finishes from 2008 to 2012, you will notice a decline. A setting like the Alamodome does not suit a band like Langham Creek very well. I find that Langham Creek sounds pretty good for the most part, but very "medium". Their dynamic range is limited, but the Berry Center hides this well. Speaking of, I'm not a fan of the Berry Center. It is too dissimilar from other football stadiums in its acoustics and certainly allows Cy-Fair ISD schools an advantage. Langham Creek's largest forte sound has clarity (a wonderful quality) but lacks deeper resonance and projection. As a listener, I haven't observed much risk-taking in their program choices or ensemble playing either. However, they always play with good sounds in each section. Cy-Falls is a band that has taken risks in the past two years. They are aiming for a larger sound, yet with the same essence of clarity and balance. While they don't always sound as nice, I can see them reaching greater heights because of these risks.

does anybody have the results ?  I herd only 5 6A  bands advanced to area ?

I did not stick around for the results.... Anybody?

6A:

- Cy-Fair

- Cypress Creek

- Cypress Falls

- Cypress Ranch

- Cypress Ridge

- Cypress Woods

- Langham Creek

- Jersey Village

4A:

- Bellville

- Navasota