Lone Star Preview

Wow, did College Park do THAT bad in finals? That's a huge jump from prelims. Also, did Westfield and B'Wood not have a good show? They were 1st and 2nd last year at this competition... congrats to CTJ though! :D

I didn't get to see College Park during finals because I was under the stands, so who knows about them, but I can comment on Westfield and Brazoswood.

The Big Red Band's show doesn't make much sense to me this year. It's called "Atmospheres," but I don't really understand why. The whole thing is performed at a very high level, but the concept really isn't gelling and the musical selections (although played fantastically) don't flow well at all. Their lack of success at LSP this year is definitely and issue of design, in my opinion.

Brazoswood is just a little carried away with their sound this year. These guys are always big and loud (and this year is no exception), but they are overblowing just a bit this year. "A View Askew" is all loud, all the time, with a sound that is big and bold, but sometimes a little out of control. It really needs more dynamic contrast so the big, "melt your face" moments have more of an impact, and to save the kids' faces a bit. Don't get me wrong, though; by no means was B-wood "bad" last night.

You also have to consider that Dawson, CTJ, and Cy-fair all either are attending this competition for the first time and/or are having a break-out, much better than expected competitive season, too. When you look at it that way the results are a lot less shocking in comparison to last year.

Edited by mellopwn1

Here is my take on the contest yesterday.....

- CTJohnson - totally biased, since my daughter is in the band!! I'm glad they won, but to me honest, I really thought it could go either way between them and Dawson. Their performance was much better in the finals than in the prelims. Musically, they were significantly better than any of the other bands. Extremely proud of them!!

- Dawson - this was theirs to lose. They did a great prelims performance. Dawson was a good 3 points better than CTJ after the prelims!! I think where they messed up was in their choice to change the ending from the prelims performance. Musically, they were in the bottom 3rd, and the change in there show ending did not work. While I think it is going to be real good, it was not executed very well lastnight.

- Cypress Fairbanks - this band totally surprised me. I think they were easily forgotten because they were one of the first bands to perform on the day. They let it all hang out in Finals and made a nice move in the finals.

- Friendswood - I was surprised by their finish after the prelims. 9th!! They made a big move in the finals. They played with a whole lot more energy and it showed in their final placement.

- Brazoswood - I like this band. They do very creative and fun shows. For whatever reason, it never plays well with the judges. In Finals, they were a bit amped up and it showed in the quality of their playing.

- Westfield - I agree with mellopwn1, did not totally understand the show. Played very well. There just wasn't that story or emotion behind the show. Great color guard!

- Oak Ridge - this was another surprise school for me. From talking to some other parents, they have a great color guard/winter guard.

- TW College Park - disappointed in their drop. This was the most surprising result from Finals, I think. It is big going from 3rd to 8th. Musically they did well, 2nd best in Finals. They were really hurt by their Visual and GE. I really feel bad for those kids.

- Clear Brook & Cypress Falls - I think they were where they were going to be after Finals. Cy Falls benefited from Seven Lakes having to go to a football game. I think it is tough on those Seven Lakes kids missing this opportunity.

All in all a great day!! It was darn hot, and I've got the sunburn to prove it!! Looking forward to BOA San Antonio for the CT Johnson band. They keep on moving up and I am very proud of them!!!

Thanks,

Brian

I was really sad that I didn't get to march in finals (I've been marching on a sprained ankle and I fell out in warmup block because it didn't feel stable enough to march on) but I was able to watch from the back stands, and I saw all the bands from Johnson through The Woodlands' exhibition, and I was really impressed by a lot of them. I'm glad I finally got to see Brazoswood! It was so exciting watching and waiting to see what they did next. I made friends with a few of them waiting before retreat last week. They're really nice kids. I really liked the band that had the whole African tribal vibe going on, I can't remember who it was but I thought their show was really cool. :)

Really, the only two big changes between prelims and finals are College Park (3rd to 8th) and Cy-Fair from 6th ti 3rd, although TWCP seemed to have somewhat of a lackluster run in finals and Cyfair completely rocked the house! I was surprised how close Dawson is to CTJ score-wise! They have gotten so much better in the past few years!

Friendswood went from 9th after prelims to 4th. They gained 4.2 points!

- Dawson - this was theirs to lose. They did a great prelims performance. Dawson was a good 3 points better than CTJ after the prelims!! I think where they messed up was in their choice to chage the ending from the prelims performance. Musically, they were in the bottom 3rd, and the change in there show ending did not work. While I think it is going to be real good, it was not executed very well lastnight.

I dont think it was theirs to lose, their ending was different but it did not impact them at all musically which is where they were lacking. They still won best GE and visual along with Oak Ridge. I don't think this at all was the reason why they lost in finals, their ending in finals was much more interesting in finals compared to prelims, even though it wasnt executed perfectly.

- Dawson - this was theirs to lose. They did a great prelims performance. Dawson was a good 3 points better than CTJ after the prelims!! I think where they messed up was in their choice to change the ending from the prelims performance. Musically, they were in the bottom 3rd, and the change in there show ending did not work. While I think it is going to be real good, it was not executed very well lastnight.

I disagree that the change in the ending changed their score negatively. If anything, it improved their score. The music performance was not as strong as pre-lims as it shows both in the music score and the GE score but their visual score for GE increased by more than a point from pre-lims to finals.

Edited by WTtrumpet

Here is my take on the contest yesterday.....

I completely disagree... Yes biased towards CTJ but honestly, it could have went either way. I saw my daughters show after dawson and I loved dawson's show. Wasnt clean but I dont believe the "new" ending even changed their score negatively. Between prelims and finals, this new ending made more sense than what they did in finals and it was beautiful! Musically, dawson is getting to be a top notch band and I congratulate them and all the bands for such a competitive show. Brian please dont say that "this was theirs to lose" at this contest. All of the bands worked hard on their shows and dont need negative comments about their program.

Considering the schools (Dawson, Friendswood, CTJ, Westfield, Brazoswood), present, Dawson pulled off an amazing run for a school it's age and size. Smallest finalist band there and they STILL got 2nd.

Yes they are great. And I also love bands that stand still the whole time when they play.

I completely disagree... Yes biased towards CTJ but honestly, it could have went either way. I saw my daughters show after dawson and I loved dawson's show. Wasnt clean but I dont believe the "new" ending even changed their score negatively. Between prelims and finals, this new ending made more sense than what they did in finals and it was beautiful! Musically, dawson is getting to be a top notch band and I congratulate them and all the bands for such a competitive show. Brian please dont say that "this was theirs to lose" at this contest. All of the bands worked hard on their shows and dont need negative comments about their program.

Bravo ftwclarinet. I couldnt have said it better myself. His statement was uncalled for and unprofessional. Yes its an opinion of his but he shouldn't say such a statement out in the open and not consider that they work just as hard as any other band in this state. Every judge/spectator/band parent/band student has their own opinions and it looked like they came to an agreement that it was the battle of the class champions at lone star. The judges even rotated to different categories. My take on this contest was the top 10 all worked hard and all deserve a congratulations for great finals performances. Each one brought a new game face on as they took the field and the results showed that when each band shifted around. Cant wait for the rest of the season!

I'm not trying to disparage any one of these kids. They all work very hard! I see it every day with my daughter.

Regarding Dawson, they had a sizable advantage over the rest of the field after prelims. I know that none of that counts in Finals, but you do not typically see a large change in placement compared to prelims. Oh sure, you'll see a spot or two, but having College Park drop from 3rd to 8th was significant. Same for Friendswood. As for Dawson, they are a great band, never said that they did not deserve to be there. They had the advantage and momentum going into finals. They had a sizable advantage over CTJ based off of the prelim scoring. How is it bold saying it was theirs to lose? If they played and performed like they did in prelims, how could they lose? I thought that they played well, I thought that they marched well, I just thought that they may have messed up by changing their ending. I personally thought that after everyone performed, it was going to be a toss up between Dawson and CTJ. As it turned out, CTJ prevailed, but it was darn close.

Again, I was not trying to downplay or be negative about another schools program. Like I said before, everyone of these kids should be proud of their hardwork. But in the end, it still is a competiton. I offered up my opinion based off of what I saw that day. If I offended anyone, I apologize. That was never my intent!