The Massacre at BOA Conroe

So BOA Arlington came and went. Could there have been a more exciting Finals Award Ceremony? I certainly can't remember another one like it. This weekend, we have a ton of coverage from three different events across the State of Texas, the most competitive of which will probably be the BOA Conroe Regional. This is as close to a Houston Bloodbath as we've seen in a long time. Someone is going to get left out of Finals. They will probably be pissed. Those students/alumni will probably jump on these boards and plead their program's case to the Court of Public Opinion. Here's what to expect this weekend.

Missing Finals can happen to anyone.

If you don't believe me, go ask anyone who was in the Brazoswood band in 2007. They won the Music Caption in Prelims. In fact, they won the Music Individual Sub-Caption by almost a full point. (By the way, a full point gap in any caption is complete domination.) They ended up 12th overall in Prelims and missed Finals. I was at my cousin's wedding when I heard the news. I was so confused by the result that I nearly shoved the violin player in to Medina Lake. THAT type of injustice warrants some true analyzation of the system. However, saying that the judging system is completely broken simply because "my band didn't make Finals" is a little rash. We get it every year and I'm certain that we'll get it sometime Saturday afternoon.

If you don't make it, shower someone with your support.

One of the coolest things to see at these contests is the extra support Finalist bands gain from programs who didn't make the cut. All of a sudden, a sworn rival turns in to the biggest cheerleader. Why? Because music makes us all equal. This activity, despite all the trophies and medals, puts us all in one giant Buddy Club. If you don't make it, I suggest you find a local school who did and throw as much support their way as possible. Tell them to kick some **** in Finals. Cheer loudly for them. In fact, cheer your butts off for everyone in the night show! If you want to act like a pompous jerk in the stands at Finals, that's your prerogative. You have a right to be bitter all you want, but if you do it while other programs are performing, you are trivializing what this activity is all about.

Your poop DOES smell.

Stop me when you've heard the following: Winning is in the hands of the judges. The phrase holds true but only up to a point. To me, that phrase suggests that the student has absolutely no control over their own destiny. You do. And you don't at the same time. Students need to realize that you can control how your band places by preparing your tails off in the days prior to the event. Are you willing to look yourself in the mirror and truly say that you did everything you could to prepare and perform the best show possible? People want to blame judges for everything. They are the easy scapegoat. However, placements are a shared responsibility between the show performed and the judges. Sure, we can go on and on about how design plays a factor and that having a great staff gives you a huge advantage, but none of that really matters if you don't prepare!! If you don't make Finals, please remember that your poop smells. No one is above a smelly poop.

I'm done for right now. Enjoy our extensive coverage this weekend!

If you liked the preceding ramblings, I'm Daniel Valdez. If not, I'm Penn and Teller.

So BOA Arlington came and went. Could there have been a more exciting Finals Award Ceremony? I certainly can't remember another one like it. This weekend, we have a ton of coverage from three different events across the State of Texas, the most competitive of which will probably be the BOA Conroe Regional. This is as close to a Houston Bloodbath as we've seen in a long time. Someone is going to get left out of Finals. They will probably be pissed. Those students/alumni will probably jump on these boards and plead their program's case to the Court of Public Opinion. Here's what to expect this weekend.

Missing Finals can happen to anyone.

If you don't believe me, go ask anyone who was in the Brazoswood band in 2007. They won the Music Caption in Prelims. In fact, they won the Music Individual Sub-Caption by almost a full point. (By the way, a full point gap in any caption is complete domination.) They ended up 12th overall in Prelims and missed Finals. I was at my cousin's wedding when I heard the news. I was so confused by the result that I nearly shoved the violin player in to Medina Lake. THAT type of injustice warrants some true analyzation of the system. However, saying that the judging system is completely broken simply because "my band didn't make Finals" is a little rash. We get it every year and I'm certain that we'll get it sometime Saturday afternoon.

If you don't make it, shower someone with your support.

One of the coolest things to see at these contests is the extra support Finalist bands gain from programs who didn't make the cut. All of a sudden, a sworn rival turns in to the biggest cheerleader. Why? Because music makes us all equal. This activity, despite all the trophies and medals, puts us all in one giant Buddy Club. If you don't make it, I suggest you find a local school who did and throw as much support their way as possible. Tell them to kick some **** in Finals. Cheer loudly for them. In fact, cheer your butts off for everyone in the night show! If you want to act like a pompous jerk in the stands at Finals, that's your prerogative. You have a right to be bitter all you want, but if you do it while other programs are performing, you are trivializing what this activity is all about.

Your poop DOES smell.

Stop me when you've heard the following: Winning is in the hands of the judges. The phrase holds true but only up to a point. To me, that phrase suggests that the student has absolutely no control over their own destiny. You do. And you don't at the same time. Students need to realize that you can control how your band places by preparing your tails off in the days prior to the event. Are you willing to look yourself in the mirror and truly say that you did everything you could to prepare and perform the best show possible? People want to blame judges for everything. They are the easy scapegoat. However, placements are a shared responsibility between the show performed and the judges. Sure, we can go on and on about how design plays a factor and that having a great staff gives you a huge advantage, but none of that really matters if you don't prepare!! If you don't make Finals, please remember that your poop smells. No one is above a smelly poop.

I'm done for right now. Enjoy our extensive coverage this weekend!

If you liked the preceding ramblings, I'm Daniel Valdez. If not, I'm Penn and Teller.

Now you got me humming Outkast's Roses... :o "Ohhhhh, I know you'd like to think that your....." :D

I'm ready to head down I-45 - but got to wait another day!

Pack it up, load 'em up, and safe travels to all!

--PDB