2011 BOA San Antonio

Wow, you certainly are pretty mad. Your sensitivity blinds the truth. If you truly believe nothing in life gets worse, only "changes", then I don't feel like arguing about it, but hey, at least UT fans can admit the truth about their football program!

It's amazing though, how above and beyond people on this site will go to praise a program for how good it is and then simply ignore the other hundreds of bands in the state that aren't worthy of notice, apparently. heck, this site should be called ldbellcedarparkmarcus.com! The site and its members pride themselves on Texas having the "best bands" in the country through the success of competition but hey, if anyone mentions how band x did poorly in contest y, well that's just rude (even though the judges already do it)! And ya know, I bet those same people think the Texas Rangers are awesome and the Astros suck and they wouldn't be afraid to admit it. I'm not for blatantly insulting a program for the sake of it, I'm for analysis and constructive criticism, but you guys just get so butt hurt. Oh well.

You statement about ignoring the other good bands is untrue. There has been much talk about the "bubble" bands at BOA specifically, and talk about other contests as well. While the big name bands receive a majority of the talk (specifically Bowie this year, might wanna add that to your URL) the smaller bands receive a fair share as well.

Plus, why does it matter if the big name bands are discussed more? That happens in most types of competition. People don't discuss Pioneer's show, just as people aren't talking about any baseball teams other than St. Louis and Texas. The bigger bands are more exciting to discuss. Nobody is interested in the debate over who's gonna get last.

I agree that your discussion of the decline of Churchill is acceptable and valid, but to mention it where someone from that school can read it would actually be considered rude. It'd be similar to telling the head of Crossmen D&B that they have declined since the 90s and now they suck. They still try just as hard as the other corps, which deserves respect, but any speculation about how well there program is doing is best left for the judges, or for conversations without the corps members. And I understand that you weren't talking to the Churchill member directly, but you posted it on THE INTERNET, where nearly everything is available to everyone.

Feel free to use the argument that I have just offended everyone in Crossmen or Pioneer, it doesn't bother me. Previously I would have assumed that someone calling you rude wouldn't have bothered you, but this past argument proves otherwise. And the fact that you changed it all to smiley faces and I had to read it from other people quoting you. Nice move.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You statement about ignoring the other good bands is untrue. There has been much talk about the "bubble" bands at BOA specifically, and talk about other contests as well. While the big name bands receive a majority of the talk (specifically Bowie this year, might wanna add that to your URL) the smaller bands receive a fair share as well.

Plus, why does it matter if the big name bands are discussed more? That happens in most types of competition. People don't discuss Pioneer's show, just as people aren't talking about any baseball teams other than St. Louis and Texas. The bigger bands are more exciting to discuss. Nobody is interested in the debate over who's gonna get last.

I agree that your discussion of the decline of Churchill is acceptable and valid, but to mention it where someone from that school can read it would actually be considered rude. It'd be similar to telling the head of Crossmen D&B that they have declined since the 90s and now they suck. They still try just as hard as the other corps, which deserves respect, but any speculation about how well there program is doing is best left for the judges, or for conversations without the corps members. And I understand that you weren't talking to the Churchill member directly, but you posted it on THE INTERNET, where nearly everything is available to everyone.

Feel free to use the argument that I have just offended everyone in Crossmen or Pioneer, it doesn't bother me. Previously I would have assumed that someone calling you rude wouldn't have bothered you, but this past argument proves otherwise. And the fact that you changed it all to smiley faces and I had to read it from other people quoting you. Nice move.

Sigh. :/ How many bands do you think there are in the state? Hundreds more than just all the "bubble" bands and locks for BOA SA

My point about discussing all the better bands wasn't so much that we should discuss everybody, but that this site has threads all about "WHATS LD BELL GONNA DO NEXT?" and when someone like I does less than praise any other band that isn't being put on a pedestal, indicating they aren't absolutely fantastical (no disrespect intended), people pulla WTF. Like, do you want me to praise some band in the same way Marcus or LD Bell is when clearly they are not on the same level? I understand people here obviously don't praise most the same way they do those other two, but for some reason it's just taboo to say anything not positive. It's one thing if it is a falsehood, but everything I've said is in fact the truth, or at least the perceived truth.

If we can't talk about other programs in any perceived negative view while still saying the truth, then the same has to be said about praising the others. Leave it for the members and the judges as you put it.

My apologies to those who found me rude, but frankly I always saw the praise of some of the bands on here as a "Wow look at these guys! They're so much better than your band!!" Implicitly of course.

But let's leave it at this. It's really distracted from the topic of the thread.

Edited by mrwood69

I feel, trying to be as least biased as possible, that Flower Mound and Haltom have a clear shot along with us. I also believe that Hebron Mansfield, and Legacy have chances of making it up there, but I don't know how Hebron will stack up with all the bands mentioned (haven't seen their performances). Hebron's great musically and marching wise, it's just their show is.....not too impressive to me. The break dancers are cool, but the Mannequins are creepy and are rather....useless. I feel really anti-Hebron for saying this. haha

I feel that Mansfield will be the big surprise here and Haltom and Flower Mound will go home happy as well. As for Plano East judging off of last years performance at area they will be in very good position to crack the top 10 as well. As much as i hate to do it i have to agree with your assessment of Hebron this year although i hope i'm wrong. It would be nice to see Mansfield or Plano East in 6th or 7th

Plano East,Mansfield,Haltom,Hebron,Legacy,Flowermound,Richland,CTJ, Ronald Reagan

Which of these bands have the best chance at rounding out the top 10 spots?

(I'm assuming Bowie,Marcus,Bell, Cedar Park and The Woodlands make the top 5)

Mansfield is a name I've never heard of, but when I saw their show, i was blown away. Flowermound hebron and legacy all made finals in Arlington, but its so hard to judge a band that early in the season. Herbron made 10th in alrington, but like i just said so hard to judge. also, your lack of Churchill disturbs me, (jk). CTJ definitly a top 10 band this year for sure. So many good bands this year, it's just like what was said about houston this year, there will be a good amount of great bands that wont make it. Feel bad for those judges.

He's a troll, he's trolling. And he's already graduated.

I wouldn't call him a troll. I would say that he just lacks the social grace of being able to deliver honest feedback in a non-offensive manner.

It's very easy to "tell it like it is" with no regard to the other person's feelings. It takes skill and maturity to deliver honest feedback in a non-offensive manner.

I wouldn't call him a troll. I would say that he just lacks the social grace of being able to deliver honest feedback in a non-offensive manner.

It's very easy to "tell it like it is" with no regard to the other person's feelings. It takes skill and maturity to deliver honest feedback in a non-offensive manner.

:'(

Quite honestly, I feel as if this year, if a band that plays just as good as Marcus comes along, I think Marcus could lose their 1st or 2nd or 3rd place title. I love what they do year round, but for some strange reason, I feel like their show this year just isn't the best that I've seen from the competing bands. Just my interpretation.

I also agree with the statement that there are a lot of bands that can upset the predictions for this competition. I believe that Hebron's show this year is exhibiting similar signs of Marcus' show. Something is just off about their show. I feel that Berkner, Flower Mound, Legacy, and Churchill are definitely heading into a bubble area in my opinion. As for the other bands, I haven't seen their performances, so I can't make predictions.

I am a big fan of Marcus, but I have seen them march twice this year and find their show really boring. I hope it comes down to more than perfect execution...a little energy and excitement on the field will hopefully count for something. I think CTJ is maybe my favorite show of the year, and I think Bells show is amazing in its complexity and execution.

Sigh. :/ How many bands do you think there are in the state? Hundreds more than just all the "bubble" bands and locks for BOA SA

My point about discussing all the better bands wasn't so much that we should discuss everybody, but that this site has threads all about "WHATS LD BELL GONNA DO NEXT?" and when someone like I does less than praise any other band that isn't being put on a pedestal, indicating they aren't absolutely fantastical (no disrespect intended), people pulla WTF. Like, do you want me to praise some band in the same way Marcus or LD Bell is when clearly they are not on the same level? I understand people here obviously don't praise most the same way they do those other two, but for some reason it's just taboo to say anything not positive. It's one thing if it is a falsehood, but everything I've said is in fact the truth, or at least the perceived truth.

If we can't talk about other programs in any perceived negative view while still saying the truth, then the same has to be said about praising the others. Leave it for the members and the judges as you put it.

My apologies to those who found me rude, but frankly I always saw the praise of some of the bands on here as a "Wow look at these guys! They're so much better than your band!!" Implicitly of course.

But let's leave it at this. It's really distracted from the topic of the thread.

I get what you're saying, but it becomes the difference between good and bad as defined by our society. Compliments are considered good and criticism is considered bad, and that's just the way it is. You could always try the sandwich technique, but I don't think any positive comments would really off set the magnitude of "Your band is declining, you suck."

I get what you're saying, but it becomes the difference between good and bad as defined by our society. Compliments are considered good and criticism is considered bad, and that's just the way it is. You could always try the sandwich technique, but I don't think any positive comments would really off set the magnitude of "Your band is declining, you suck."

Point taken.

Hey I just thought i would start an official thread to talk about BOA San Antonio.

Just by glancing at the list and with the knowledge of Bands i know. (I haven't heard of every band on that list) This is kinda how i think it might stack up for those 14 final spots.

Final "locks":

Cedar Park

Bowie

LD Bell

Marcus

Reagan

Stephen F Austin

Vandegrift

Churchill

The "Bubble": ( i think any of these schools have a good shot at finals)

Anderson H.S., TX

Brazoswood H.S., TX

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

Hebron H.S., TX

Leander H.S., TX

Mansfield H.S., TX

McNeil H.S., TX

Pflugerville H.S., TX

Round Rock H.S., TX

Spring H.S., TX

Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Vista Ridge H.S., TX

W. Charles Akins H.S., TX

Westlake H.S., TX

Opinions?

You forgot two North Texas Power House - Haltom and Richland... they will definitely make finals.

You forgot two North Texas Power House - Haltom and Richland... they will definitely make finals.

That's not necessarily true. Haltom got 3rd at TOC to Frisco Centennial and Mansfield. They look and sound great but there are just too many great bands to consider either Haltom or Richland a lock in finals. I haven't been able to see Richland this year but there are only 4 maybe 5 bands that you might be able to consider a certainty in finals.

Wow! This is all interesting debate and I'm not advocating that it should be stopped. However, and (now I'm going to sound like a old man but that's ok because I am) let's don't forget that each and every student performing in San Antonio has put in countless hours practicing for their 8-10 minute show.

I'm sure a fair number of band students read these postings and my guidance to them is this:

The only bands that can't make it to the finals are the ones that didn't enter the contest. If you are there, you can make it to finals.

Don't worry about it if your band isn't on the 'locks' list or the 'bubble' list. Those are created so the kids that have already graduated can show off their intimate knowledge of marching band. Do your best and feel good about yourself for the commitment and dedication you have displayed. There are a lot factors that determine which bands move on to finals and many of those are out of your control, but your personal performance is entirely up to you. Do your best -- and be proud of your accomplishment and we will be proud of you too!

OK - now you guys can go back to the lock & bubble debate and I'll be quite.

-- ProudBandDad

While I don't think anything poor of Churchill as it's a great program, I'd just like to point out that schools such as Avon (three time national champion) march large numbers of freshmen as well. It was reported that in 2010 Avon marched 40% freshmen. A "young band" does not always equal a lower level of execution, contrary to what people think.

I know that and you know that. It is just that MrWoods69 is just attacking the WC program, and I was just pointing out how well the program was doing while it is still in the change, rebuilding, very young aspect of the program.

I personally enjoy watching Bell, Marcus, and Bowie's shows. Sorry for those that I missed but I really do LOVE seeing their shows. I think they are huge, fun, and well done.

But if you want to talk about other bands (and how badly you seem to hate all of them) why don't you start another thread where you can bash all the bands you want, while those of us that enjoy the music good or bad, can discuss it with some more positive comments.

But in all seriousness to these great bands out there I do have a question.

How many middle schools/jr highs feed into the HUGE programs such as Bell, Marcus, and Bowie. We have one middle school that feeds 100% and two middle schools that do about a 30-70 split with two other high schools, us getting the 30.

How many middle schools/jr highs feed into the HUGE programs such as Bell, Marcus, and Bowie. We have one middle school that feeds 100% and two middle schools that do about a 30-70 split with two other high schools, us getting the 30.

L.D. Bell Feeder Chart

Marcus Feeder Chart

The relationship between middle schools and high schools is a very understated part of a marching organization's long-term success. Some of the best high school programs in the State keep in constant contact with their feeder schools for recruitment purposes. A lot of programs miss out on getting those talented young students who are on the fence about continuing their music education past the 8th Grade.

Bowie used to have 2 middle schools that fed into them. Now they have 3 middle schools. One of them splits with Austin High School and I think the other splits with Akins or Crockett if I remember correctly. Not sure if the newest school splits with anyone.

Hey I just thought i would start an official thread to talk about BOA San Antonio.

Just by glancing at the list and with the knowledge of Bands i know. (I haven't heard of every band on that list) This is kinda how i think it might stack up for those 14 final spots.

Final "locks":

Cedar Park

Bowie

LD Bell

Marcus

Reagan

Stephen F Austin

Vandegrift

Churchill

The "Bubble": ( i think any of these schools have a good shot at finals)

Anderson H.S., TX

Brazoswood H.S., TX

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

Hebron H.S., TX

Leander H.S., TX

Mansfield H.S., TX

McNeil H.S., TX

Pflugerville H.S., TX

Round Rock H.S., TX

Spring H.S., TX

Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Vista Ridge H.S., TX

W. Charles Akins H.S., TX

Westlake H.S., TX

Opinions?

I'd put Haltom in bubble rather than lock, but I agree about Richland, and would also add the Woodlands to your locks

Bowie used to have 2 middle schools that fed into them. Now they have 3 middle schools. One of them splits with Austin High School and I think the other splits with Akins or Crockett if I remember correctly. Not sure if the newest school splits with anyone.

The newest school (Gorzycki Middle) is the only one of the three that sends 100% to Bowie.