2010 Bands of America Grand Nationals Schedule

RUMOR ALERT:

Although Prelims scores will not be released until later this weekend or Monday, a tiny little bird may have told me that the Top 12 so far is loaded with the usual suspects, along with a few Texas programs.

With that, I am off to bed because I have work in the morning!!!

Nice that means Cedar Park was in the top 12 w/SFA and Bell.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would he post that then...obviously SFA and Bell are in the top 12.

There's ALSO Churchill there. Granted, I do think CP was in the top half of the semi's list over Churchill, but CP did finish 9th at SA... there's only so much room to operate for them considering 23 of the 30-some-odd semifinalists have made finals at this event before. And don't be so quick to think SFA is a shoe in either, because they apparently had some serious marching issues, and some minute, yet existent music problems today, which would've been a big scare for them if that was a UIL prelims performance. And CP did have some marching issues today as well. I don't think whoever is running the blog would point those out if he didn't think they were somewhat threatening to the bands' scores.

Since this is BOA and not UIL, I'm sure those marching and playing issues aren't really that big of a deal, so I do think it's very likely that Bell, SFA and CP will get into finals, and if CP doesn't, they'll definitely be a runner up. Churchill will definitely be in the top half of the semi's scores I think, but they just don't have the kind of execution they used to have before 2008.

Sadly, Churchill was part of the "next 8" advancing from prelims. With that knowledge, I find it kind of hard for them to even break top half of semis. I just don't hthink this is their year.

There's ALSO Churchill there. Granted, I do think CP was in the top half of the semi's list over Churchill, but CP did finish 9th at SA... there's only so much room to operate for them considering 23 of the 30-some-odd semifinalists have made finals at this event before. And don't be so quick to think SFA is a shoe in either, because they apparently had some serious marching issues, and some minute, yet existent music problems today, which would've been a big scare for them if that was a UIL prelims performance. And CP did have some marching issues today as well. I don't think whoever is running the blog would point those out if he didn't think they were somewhat threatening to the bands' scores.

Since this is BOA and not UIL, I'm sure those marching and playing issues aren't really that big of a deal, so I do think it's very likely that Bell, SFA and CP will get into finals, and if CP doesn't, they'll definitely be a runner up. Churchill will definitely be in the top half of the semi's scores I think, but they just don't have the kind of execution they used to have before 2008.

First 4 = Bands who advance based on class (Random order)

Second 4 = Half of the "Next 8" (Random order)

Next 22 = Top 11 from both days (Random order)

Final 4 = Other half of "Next 8" (Random order)

This has always been my understanding of semis scheduling.

Is semi's advancement not announced in random order?
Edited by mellopwn1

First 4 = Bands who advance based on class (Random order)

Second 4 = Half of the "Next 8" (Random order)

Next 22 = Top 11 from both days (Random order)

Final 4 = Other half of "Next 8" (Random order)

This has always been my understanding of semis scheduling.

Is that official, or a trend that's been seen in the past years?

As far as I know, its official.

If you look at the schedule it makes sense where bands are in relation to the previously mentioned scheduling system.

For the most part.

Um, looking at the announcement of advancements made by Daniel Sanchez on the blog, that would mean Avon and Cedar Park are a part of the "next 8" as well... which I don't believe simply because of Avon being in that group, and Churchill is in the top 22 because they were announced 24th according to your algorithm. Now I'm assuming the "next 8" are the bands outside of the top 26... right?

Semi-Finals Performance Order:

Adair County

Godwin Heights

Brentwood

Morton

Lafayette, LA

Ben Davis

Western

Northmont

Ayala

Carmel

Stephen F. Austin

Kennesaw Mountain

Walled Lake Central

William Mason

BREAK

Union

Lincoln-Way East

Kiski Area

Cedar Park

Center Grove

Bourbon County

Marian Catholic

Centerville

Plymouth Canton

Lafayette, KY

BREAK

Broken Arrow

Tarpon Springs

Avon

Lawrence Central

L.D. Bell

Lake Central

Winston Churchill

Dobyns-Bennett

Lake Park

West Bloomfield

You are thinking of how finals performance order is determined for a Super Regional.

Looking at this schedule, first are Adair and Goodwin Heights. They are Class A bands. Morton and Brentwood = AA. Thats the four bands advancing based on class.

All of the "cream of the crop" bands are dead in the middle, or just about. This is the top 11 from each day.

Most of the "Next 8" is fairly obvious as to why they are there. However, a band being in the "Next 8" does not neccesarily mean it is not in the top 22. The middle is the top 11 from each day. Since Lafeyette, LA and Winston Churchill performed on Friday with so many finals "locks", they were bumped out of Friday's top 11. However this has no idication of how they stack up against Thursday's bands.

Here is a hypothetical situation:

Churchill performed on Thursday instead of Friday, and it just so happens they get an 88, the highest score of the day (I made that number up). This would place them at the very top of Thursday's top 11.

Now let's say in another world, they still performed on Friday and performed the same exact show and earned the same 88. However, 11 other bands on Friday all scored above an 88.

This would mean that Churchill was 12th overall, but would still advance as part of the "next 8" because of where they were scheduled.

In retrospect, something like my hypothetical situation could have possibly happened, especially with that massive cluster of talent on Friday. So, based on this, it really is possible that they will make top half of semi's

Hope I helped.

Also, are we talking about advancement announcements or scheduling, because I thought every band randomly picked a number at the beginning of the day or before prelims sometime, and when all the advancements were announced, they would perform in the numerical order that was set by the advancements?
Edited by mellopwn1

I thought that the middle group of 22 bands in the semis performance order was actually the top 22 from prelims, regardless of what day they performed on for prelims. That means that Churchill and Lafayette (LA) did, in fact, score in the lower 8 overall. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You very well may be correct....

I feel stupid now. haha.

I thought that the middle group of 22 bands in the semis performance order was actually the top 22 from prelims, regardless of what day they performed on for prelims. That means that Churchill and Lafayette (LA) did, in fact, score in the lower 8 overall. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct! I found this:

How semifinalists are chosen

top 11 bands each day of prelims (22 total)

next 8 highest scoring bands from combined prelims (brings us to 30)

Also, each class from each day of prelims must have at least 2 bands advance to semifinals.

So, if a band is in the top 2 of it's class for it's prelim day but not in the top 30 overall, they will advance. Bands who advance solely on class perform first in semis.

For example, last year there were 34 bands in semifinals (including one with a div. II).

Bassett and Lone Oak were the top 2 A bands from Thursday but not in the top 30 overall.

Norwell was the 2nd place A band on Friday, but not in the top 30 (interesting side note- Jackson Academy WAS in the top 30 overall, but in semifinals, Norwell gave a great show and won the class A title).

Harrison Co. was the 2nd place AA band from Friday but not in the top 30 overall. Those were the first 4 bands to perform in semifinals last year.

So, when you see the semifinal lineup posted, if there are any more than 30 bands (say there are 33 bands this year for example), the first 3 would be in semis solely because of class. Understand now?

here is one other tidbit-

of the top 30 bands, the highest 22 bands play in the middle, and the bottom 8 will perform in the first 4 and last 4 places. However, a band that finds itself in this situation can still make finals. Back in 1997, Broken Arrow was not in the top 22 after prelims but made finals (and that year they only had 10 finalists).

So, here is how semifinals performing order would work with 34 bands:

the first 4 performing bands would be solely based on class.

The next 4 would be bands with the 23-30th place prelims scores.

The next 22 would be the top 22 scoring prelim bands

the final 4 would be the other 4 from the 23-30th place prelim scores.

Or, if you prefer it graphically:

7:30- in on class

7:45- ""

8:00- ""

8:15- ""

8:30- 23-30th prelim band

8:45- ""

9:00- ""

9:15- ""

9:30- top 22 band

9:45- ""

10:00- ""

10:15- ""

10:30- ""

10:45- ""

break

11:15- ""

11:30- ""

11:45- ""

12:00- ""

12:15- ""

12:30- ""

12:45- ""

1:00- ""

1:15- ""

1:30- ""

lunch break

2:15- ""

2:30- ""

2:45- ""

3:00- ""

3:15- ""

3:30- ""

3:45- 23-30th place prelim band

4:00- ""

4:15- ""

4:30- ""

4:45- college exhibition band

5:00- awards

5:15- grouchy ushers try to shoo you from the building as quickly as possible.

Ah, that clears it up. The official adjudication handbook also seems to confirm this.

I used to think that it was like you said above, but a post on the MFA forums got me thinking:

anyone else notice that of the 22 'premium' middle spots....13 went to friday bands and only 9 to thursday bands. . .so much for the top 11! :-)

I compared the schedules for prelims and semis and it looks like that person is right.

There we go MisterWood. Cedar Park and SFA in finals.

8:00 Kennesaw Mountain H.S., GA

8:15 Marian Catholic H.S., IL

8:30 Cedar Park H.S., TX

8:45 Tarpon Springs H.S., FL

9:00 Carmel H.S., IN

9:15 Broken Arrow H.S., OK

9:30 Avon H.S., IN

9:45 Lawrence Central H.S., IN

10:00 Center Grove H.S., IN

10:15 Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

10:30 L.D. Bell H.S., TX

10:45 Union H.S., OK