Drumline: Marcus (hands down)

Guard: I don't have any opinion on Guard execution for this run, but I liked Broken Arrow's guard design (though I don't like the add-ons they equipped, post-STL)

Ballad: Marcus (Their English Horn solo was immaculate)

Opener: I liked L.D. Bell's entrance....as for an opener either The Woodlands or Carmel.

Closer: Marcus (finals run), overall? Hmm, probably Carmel.

GE: Hoo Boy...tough call between Broken Arrow and Avon

Music: Marcus (again, no question)

Visual: L.D. Bell (I thought they were extremely clean)

I'll probably go back and watch Marcus, Avon, Broken Arrow, The Woodlands, L.D. Bell and maybe Carmel's shows sometime in the future. The others didn't really leave much of a lasting effect on me.

Drumline: Marcus (hands down)

Guard: I don't have any opinion on Guard execution for this run, but I liked Broken Arrow's guard design (though I don't like the add-ons they equipped, post-STL)

Ballad: Marcus (Their English Horn solo was immaculate)

Opener: I liked L.D. Bell's entrance....as for an opener either The Woodlands or Carmel.

Closer: Marcus (finals run), overall? Hmm, probably Carmel.

GE: Hoo Boy...tough call between Broken Arrow and Avon

Music: Marcus (again, no question)

Visual: L.D. Bell (I thought they were extremely clean)

I'll probably go back and watch Marcus, Avon, Broken Arrow, The Woodlands, L.D. Bell and maybe Carmel's shows sometime in the future. The others didn't really leave much of a lasting effect on me.

was broken arrow the band that had the guards with the octopus like costumes? they like had tubes that they were banging against the ground?

Broken Arrow's Guard had giant dinosaur tails attached to them. I think from now on when someone says "Broken Arrow 2009" that's the first thing that's going to pop into their head.

haha i think thats true. i saw them before we went on to perform and was very confused by what they were whacking around. i guess it wouldve made sense from the stands.

Drumline?

I don't pay much attention to line, but Marcus takes it.

Guard?

Broken Arrow. I don't know much about the execution, but BA's guard added the most to the bands story than anyone else.

Ballad?

Nessun Dorma by Greendale High School from Wisconsin. Your probably thinking why I picked such a common ballad by a band that placed 30th on their prelim day. It was for the soloist, A girl sang Nessun Dorma beautifully. It was probably my favorite moment of all of Grand Nationals.

Opener?

No opener really stood out to me this year. But I will go with Marcus as I love Mendelssohn.

Closer?

Broken Arrow. I thought the ending of when the band member finally accepts his tail was amazing.

Ge?

Broken Arrow. May have been a love or hate it show, but I loved it.

Music?

Marcus was obviously the best executed, and I do love the music as well. I also really enjoyed the Arabian Waltz by the Woodlands.

Visual?

Avon. Nobody moves better than them.

From what I could tell watching it online..

Drumline: Marcus wins this.

Guard: Although Broken Arrow and Bell have huge guards that are almost always extremely clean, my choice would have to go to Marian Catholic or the Woodlands. Execution wise, these two had overall the best technique from person to person and were pretty clean. But my real choice is the Woodlands. Great guard.

Ballad: Marian Catholic.

Opener: Bell. That opening statement is simply gorgeous. Out of openers it comes first to mind every time.

GE: This one is really hard to decide because I have only seen 4 of those shows live. It would be between Bell and Avon.

Closer: Marcus's Closer was pretty awesome in finals, but I can't neglect the Woodlands either.

Music: On the technical + clean side is Marcus. Can't beat them there. However, in terms of music dynamically and how it was integrated into the show, definitely Bell.

Visual: This is also a tough one to go off of when watching online. I would say Avon, although LD Bell didn't disappoint.

I'll give my top 3 IMO:

Drumline - 1. Avon 2. Marcus 3. Center Grove (save for that WEIRD snare drop at finals)

Guard - 1. Lawrence Central 2. Avon 3. Bell

Ballad - 1. Marcus 2. Avon 3. Bell (considering the whole show felt like a ballad)

Opener - 1. Bourbon Co. 2. Avon 3. Carmel

Closer - 1. Marcus 2. Lawrence Central 3. Carmel

GE - 1. Bell 2. Carmel 3. PCEP

Music - 1. Marcus 2. Avon 3. Bourbon Co.

Visual - 1. Avon 2. Lawrence Central 3. Carmel

Extra thoughts:

Brass - 1. Bourbon Co. 2. Marcus 3. Avon Honerable Mention: Carmel

WW's - 1. Marcus 2. Bell 3. Marian Catholic

Solo - 1. Marcus 2. Avon 3. Bell Honorable Mention: Greendale (WI), vocal soloist was a MAJOR surprise. Sounded great and beyond her years.

Props - 1. PCEP 2. Marcus 3. Carmel

Choreography - 1. Center Grove 2. Bell 3. Woodlands

Most Unique Show - 1. Marcus 2. Bell 3. Broken Arrow

Everyone was pretty darn awesome though.

Edited by IMcom-Josh

Why give the honorable mention to Carmel? I thought their brass were killer this year. Their style this year reminded me a lot of Cedar Park.

For the heck of it...

Brass: Carmel

WW: Marcus

Solo: Marcus English Horn (though Wando's horn solo gets an honorable mention here....she played with extraordinary sensitivity). I watched the Nessun Dorma bit too and yes, that solo was also awesome.

Props: ehh....I didn't see enough of the shows in prelims to make a call on this.....there are some lesser known bands that put together some incredible stages/sets for their show.

Choreography: Broken Arrow. I dunno, no one really stood out this year. I would like to see some legit martial arts choreography taught by a real martial artist integrated into some shows in the future.

Most Unique: Broken Arrow for sure. Cartwright still hasn't lost his touch. I can't describe the life and even shock that is often Wes Cartwright's design without going on an endless schpiel that I know no one wants to read, haha :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Carmel had one of my favorite shows (-LOVE- the uniforms)

Drumline?

No idea, I don't pay attention that much...

Guard?

Lake Central (I will never forget that amazing flags turning into gold)

Ballad?

Amarican Fork (I was almost in tears....)

Opener?

Carmel!!

Closer?

Avon IN cause watching those flags get thrown out live in person is amazing

Ge?

Avon

Music?

Marcus/Avon

Visual?

Avon