Lonestar Preview 2009

I am jazzed to see all the marching competition chatter building up again -- I am so ready to see what everybody's been preparing for the new season!

The Lonestar Preview Marching Championships is one of our favorite contests and we missed it last year since we were at BOA Houston. It's at a new stadium this year so it should be a lot of fun. What bands are attending this year besides Hendrickson?

(By the way - good luck to everybody this season; especially the 1A/2A/4A bands for State)

The schedule for LoneStar Preview:

Caney Creek HS 10:30 AM

Splendora HS 10:45 AM

Brazosport HS 11:00 AM

Magnolia HS 11:15 AM

Dickinson HS 11:30 AM

Klein HS 11:45 AM

Morton Ranch HS 12:00 PM

Dekaney HS 12:15 PM

BREAK

Klein Forest HS 1:00 PM

Tomball HS 1:15 PM

TW College Park HS 1:30 PM

James E Taylor HS 1:45 PM

William B Travis HS 2:00 PM

Klein Collins HS 2:15 PM

Oak Ridge HS 2:30 PM

Conroe HS 2:45 PM

Westfield HS 3:00 PM

BREAK

E.D. White Catholic HS 3:30 PM

Clear Brook HS 3:45 PM

Alvin HS 4:00 PM

Hendrickson HS 4:15 PM

Friendswood HS 4:30 PM

Dawson HS 4:45 PM

Brazoswood HS 5:00 PM

RETREAT 5:15 PM

FINALS 7:30 PM

Edited by Mad.Hatter

• 3 weeks later...
Looking forward to seeing Brazoswood and Friendswood this year. How are things looking with them........

They both looked good at BOA Houston. I was pleasently surprised with how good Friendswood is this year. I am unfamiliar with their program but they are definitely going to look great at the end of the season. Brazoswood has made their mark these last couple of years and continue to progress well. I was disappointed with their placement at Houston but I'm sure they will pull it out for the end of the season.

These participating bands are going to get great reviews and critiques from some awesome judges! Just look below:

Adjudicators

Joe Allison Dena Anderson

Michael Cesario William Chumley

Curtis Costanza Wayne Downey

Don Hill Nola Jones

Jay Kennedy Tim Ochran

Myron Rosander

Definitely a GN/DCI Finals caliber panel for sure. ^_^

10 finalists,

Brazoswood, Hendrickson, Clear Brook, Friendswood, Klein, Dawson, The Woodlands College Park, W. B. Travis, Dekaney, and Dickinson. Westfield made it, but they had a prior commitment for finals (probably a football game)

I don't quite remember all the prelim captions. 5A Music- Brazoswood, 5A Visual- Clearbrook?? i'm not sure, 5A GE- Brazoswood,5A Percussion- tie between Klein and Morton Ranch Colorguard- I think it was Clear Brook...or Travis

4A Music- Friendswood, 4A Visual- Hendrickson, 4A GE- Friendswood, 4A Percussion- Friendwood, 4A Guard- Friendswood??

5A 3rd- ??, 5A 2nd- Clear Brook, 5A 1st- Brazoswood, 4A 3rd- Dawson 4A 2nd- Hendrickson, 4A 1st- Friendwood. Thats all I remember. I was only at the contest for prelims :). Brazoswood got 1st in finals too, I heard

10 finalists,

Brazoswood, Hendrickson, Clear Brook, Friendswood, Klein, Dawson, The Woodlands College Park, W. B. Travis, Dekaney, and Dickinson. Westfield made it, but they had a prior commitment for finals (probably a football game)

I don't quite remember all the prelim captions. 5A Music- Brazoswood, 5A Visual- Clearbrook?? i'm not sure, 5A GE- Brazoswood,5A Percussion- tie between Klein and Morton Ranch Colorguard- I think it was Clear Brook...or Travis

4A Music- Friendswood, 4A Visual- Hendrickson, 4A GE- Friendswood, 4A Percussion- Friendwood, 4A Guard- Friendswood??

5A 3rd- ??, 5A 2nd- Clear Brook, 5A 1st- Brazoswood, 4A 3rd- Dawson 4A 2nd- Hendrickson, 4A 1st- Friendwood. Thats all I remember. I was only at the contest for prelims :). Brazoswood got 1st in finals too, I heard

William B. received the 5A Visual caption.

Westfield had their homecoming dance that night.

Quick Recap

Prelims

Finals

Finals Results

1. 82.55 Brazoswoood

2. 80.00 Friendswood

3. 78.60 Clear Brook

4. 76.85 William B Travis

5. 74.55 Klein

6. 74.45 Hendrickson

7. 72.35 Dekaney

8. 71.35 Dickinson

9. 70.25 TW College Park

10. 68.90 Dawson

Captions

Outstanding Music Performance: Friendswood

Outstanding Visual Performance: Brazoswood

Outstanding GE: Brazoswood

Outstanding Auxiliary: Clear Brook

Outstanding Drumline: Klein

Edited by manuel_pablo

Full Results as follow:

5A Prelims

Outstanding Music Performance:Brazoswood HS (15.90)

Outstanding Visual Performance: Wm B Travis HS (15.90)

Outstanding General Effect: Brazoswood HS (50.75)

Outstanding Percussion: (tie) Klein HS & Morton Ranch HS (19.20)

Outstanding Auxiliary: Clear Brook HS (16.60)

3rd: Klein HS (77.05)

2nd: Clear Brook HS (78.25)

1st: Brazoswood HS (82.50)

4A Prelims

Outstanding Music Performance: Hendrickson HS (15.65)

Outstanding Visual Performance: Friendswood HS (14.50)

Outstanding General Effect: Friendswood HS (48.90)

Outstanding Percussion: Magnolia HS (17.70)

Outstanding Auxiliary:Friendswood HS (16.40)

3rd: Dawson HS (74.30)

2nd: Hendrickson HS (75.20)

1st: Friendswood HS (78.55)

Finals

Outstanding Music Performance: Friendswood HS (16.90)

Outstanding Visual Performance: Brazoswood HS (16.75)

Outstanding General Effect: Brazoswood HS (48.95)

Outstanding Drum Line: Klein HS (19.30)

Outstanding Auxiliary: Clear Brook HS (17.10)

10th: Dawson HS (68.90)

9th: TW College Park HS (70.25)

8th: Dickinson HS (71.35)

7th: Dekaney HS (72.35)

6th: Hendrickson HS (74.45)

5th: Klein HS (74.55)

4th: William B Travis HS (76.85)

3rd: Clear Brook HS (78.60)

2nd: Friendswood HS (80.00)

1st: Brazoswood HS (82.55)

Full recaps can be found here

Prelims

Finals

(those are direct links to PDFs from the TWHS website, just so you know)

congrats to all the bands that performed!

Dekaney's come a long way these past couple years. They've gone from a band that often wallowed in 2s and 3s, and are now competing in the same league as established bands like Dickinson, College Park and Hendrickson. Josafat Jaime has done some miraculous things with their program.

What a terrific contest - some great shows! Just a few...

Dekaney's "Porgie and Bess" was a crowd pleaser, beautiful music from Hendrickson, Friendswood was as billed - they were terrific. Clear Brook's "Repeat: Repeat" show was my favorite - very fun and the best Guard I've seen so far this year. Loved Klein's percussion - very deserving of the caption award. The Woodlands in exhibition did their own drum-thing - lots of energy, lots of fun. Brazoswood's "Black Swan" show - big controlled sound...very nice. Nice stadium and layout. Gotta love the Lonestar Preview competition!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what William B. Travis has to bring to Duncanville. Take into consideration that Travis is only in their fourth year of existence and to take the visual caption from such a well established program as Brazoswood and to then take fourth place in finals over Klein, another program that has been around for decades, is a big deal. I greatly look forward to seeing how much they can improve before Duncanville and how much better their program improves in future years