BOA San Antonio Prelims Review V

More bands, more fun!

Del Valle H.S., TX

They made the most of their opening statement and the stabs that followed. Very full, very full. There is enough control to go around. Coordination and maneuvering was average. At the end of the movement one of the trumpet players that had his legs apart way more than others said it all. Things were lining up fine, but more refinement, please. Playing responsibilities from the musicians conveyed, yeah. They did not hold back, but I felt some work was needed within the spaces in the sound spectrum. Too much forte. Awesome work with the forte. But too much forte.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 72.90

Azle H.S., TX

The trombone solo to start off this show was fine, as was the concert horn solo...but is this a show of solos? And now a bass clarinet and flute duet? What is going on here? Wow. Interesting approach, as there is very little marching and lots of grounded work. Solos and small ensembles dominated, but by the time this band tried to make a statement, it was too little, too late. And the sappy music did not help. The theatrics were entertaining. They've got all the fancy gadgets, but now they need to back it up with some skill.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 63.10

Lopez H.S., TX

Guard staging is just right, as the winds perform a hypnotic shift movement on side B in a giant triangular form. This band seems to dwell in the realm of the safe. I must say, though, they sound fine. No one is trying to hid, here. Yeah, that forward bicycle marching technique is hard to make clean, especially when everyone has a different concept of what that is, as some are exaggerating and some aren't. Nice building of tension, band. These guys come in straight and clear. Their ending was somewhat vanilla, but you gotta give them credit for being consistent.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 73.20

L.D. Bell H.S., TX

The dissonant sound played towards side B sets the mood well enough, and the form holds well as they lurch that way. Some of the ray forms could be more crisp. Thick build, breass. THICK! Things get more and more interesting as the show progresses, no doubt. I especially like the way those horizontal line squads float away back field. The shaping of sound was intact, but did not do much for me right at the end of what could be their "ballad." Mmm, geting some major intensity going, now...major. The best part of their show is the end, as it is very, very, very moving.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 91.30

Colleyville Heritage H.S., TX

This group stirs up the pot quite well. I was satisfied by the way the low brass cut through all the other sections when they were supposed to. A slowing heartbeat ends their first movement, and...nice touch! Those guard costumes are unique with those hoods, and I like how they link their arms with those tubes. The silence during the linking WORKS, I think. Don't get lost in the forest, musicians. That flatline visual that gets shocked into action is rad.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 85.00

Mabank H.S., TX

The way the woodwinds arc it up around the couple on the park bench near the front is great staging work. Articulation, trumpets, could be less rough. Open your throats to sing! The audience started to get into what they were up to when the grounded bass drums were smacked with fervor. The drill did the job, but was not furious. Make that NEVER furious. This show had so much potential drama that was not met. Flute trio, that was great. Why so mediocre on the intervention, ensemble winds? The work with the giant American flag was moving, even if it was backwards and upside down. I got the point, though.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 63.90

Clear Brook H.S., TX

Oh man. When this show started I was so hoping this was not another copy-and-paste show! It was not, but it was so darn plain! Impressive show of music and movement, nevertheless. I give credit when credit is due, and these kids performed their buns off. They attempted to sweep you off your feet, and they almost did it. Near the end, execution was faultering. Excellent regaining of composure with the saxophone duet.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 85.50

Creekview H.S., Tx

Lots of upper body movement on forward movement, and that can take the awe out of things. The bassoon soloist worked it, ha ha! The hypnosis verbiage was comedic, and essential. Put some muscle into the detail, people. The forms look decent (at best!). The Sigur Ros music is a good choice of music for the ballad, but it is on you to make this the most powerful piece of music you have ever heard on the field, and that was not the case though I very much admire the effort. The rehash of the beginning at the end with the counting was effective.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 82.70

Berkner H.S., TX

Lovely form development to engage. Tosses of rifles clicked in a single click, music lined up nice, and technically all was in their favor; all all all. Some weird things going on in individual marching--hips thrusted, halts fallen into, and direction leans. I like it when they break the marching mold in one of the biggest impacts yet. Their will was done. There were a few things I could see they could improve upon. I felt they could use other methods--more unique methods--to tell their story. Their show looks like almost any other fine marching band production. If they distanced themselves from the usual they'd really be fun to see and hear.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 86.00

Westlake H.S., TX

The mysterious clarinet soloist had me intrigued. Their design seems too simple, as there is lots of up front stuff, lots of small step stuff, and lots of constant sound. Their grandiose posturing wasn't fooling anyone. The funhouse mirrors were useful--a great sort of "spotlight." I took note of their wonderful brass ensemble, and an acrobatic girl on the guard.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 85.80

Friendswood H.S., TX

They turned up the volume as gradually as one could. Wow, they're precise! The mellos cut through so well. These kids are like gourmet food--so good to eat, but sometimes I want to spit it out. Somebody spice this up a bit, huh? Set yourselves apart! I was almost reminded of the abilities of Westlake and Berkner, but I think these guys were better. They covered a little more ground.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 86.60

Scores scores scores, here they are thus farrr:

91.30 L.D. Bell

89.00 Stephen F. Austin

88.50 Cedar Park

88.10 James Bowie

86.60 Friendswood

86.00 Berkner

85.80 Westlake

85.50 Clear Brook

85.00 Colleyville Heritage

84.60 W. Charles Akins