BOA San Antonio Prelims Review IV

Checkity check. Yo yo yo. We's back for the mac-iest mac attack there is!

Calallen H.S., TX

After some standard silent drill we are treated to muffled sounds, and whether this is a design issue or a performer issue I do not know. Sousaphones were playing physical pinball with each other. Watch the spacing, gang. The battery percussion spun their circular form in fast motion well. Excellent placement of auxiliary at the end of the ballad section, aaaand now we're getting off to a messy start and continuing messy for the remainder of the production, it seems. Really define. Define! Great horn pop to the box at the end. Really flush the bad stuff out. Accentuate originality, too.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 63.40

James Bowie H.S., TX

I really appreciate the creativity behind using the battery in a bell form that some of the guard "ring" with strands of rope. I am seeing good things with the technique, partly and wholly. Contrast music to visual and visual to music fit. Varying sax sounds from a quartet where focused. Okay, more swirl forms...I get it, already. There are some minor spacing issues in the sax section during the concert horn feature. Hey, that ending was fancy. I like how this show has bookends. Good one!

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 88.10

Westlake H.S., TX

More transportation issues? What's going on, here? I guess I'll have to review them later!

Robbie Rob does not give them a score...for now...

Waller H.S., TX

The atmosphere is wonderous, but not long after we get a severe jolt of normal. Uh, dynamic variations--where are they? Yoo-hoo? Play to me, play to me, play to me. Who is the audience--the photographers on the field or the people in the stands? False start, second tune. Increase the volume on the guy narrating, more, MORE! Ack. (Can't hear him when the ensemble is playing.) This show is dry and has continuity problems. Lots of commotion, not enough sharp features. Sharpen the blades of product. Reasonable form composition at the end, but...just reasonable.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 59.00

Martin H.S., TX

The show before the show was catchy. The finish of the first feature seemed thin. Ensure that all flash moves are not obtuse. Do not underestimate exactness. I could use much greater range of emotion in the ballad, and ooh trombone sticking out--no good. ("Not Kosher," as a co-worker of mine would say.) Do more with the uncommon, and less with the more. All right, all right, all RIGHT. Slick finish, band.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 68.90

Harlingen H.S., TX

The robotic marching does not match the nuances of the sound, but this band executes well, nevertheless. If you are going to use a narrator, FYI, you had better be sure this guy sounds like an old pro. (This one sounded like he was reading it off cue cards for the first time--no dynamics, expression, or anything.) Above average staging of the woodwinds, one foot and leg out while kneeling amongst the superb guard. Pretty "gimme" effect with the fireman helmet, yellow ladders, and yes, the American flag, doncha think? Drive this thing home at the end, guys! Gotta make it count MORE.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 72.50

Clear Lake H.S., TX

NOOOOOO SHOOOOOW. Boo!

Okay, the next part of my review is going to be a bit longer, so be sure you have used the facilities and get right back to your desktop, laptop, or whatever top you're staring at.

Once again, here are my scores to this point:

89.00 Stephen F. Austin

88.50 Cedar Park

88.10 James Bowie

84.60 W. Charles Akins

83.90 Aledo

*81.20 Judson

*78.50 Claudia Taylor Johnson

77.90 Langham Creek

77.80 Georgetown

75.40 Loveland

75.10 William B. Travis