BOA San Antonio Prelims Review II

I'm back, and my that cherry Icee is mighty fine. Oooh. Brain freeze. Shouldn't have done that. Oooooooh. Okay, back to the review. By the way, if you want to know the name of the show these bands did, go to the BOA event yourself and buy a program, or ask someone who did. Sorry, but I just don't feel like it.

United H.S., TX

Heh! I got a little queasy after watching some of their visual moves. Great technique on the jazz running, guys, now clean up the files. Is the responsibility of the drums in the back just to hang out? Hmmm, I'd have them doing SOMETHING. Nice attention to detail, battery. Those tightly spaced vertical lines were pulled off well, and quite a challenge. (Well done!) We all need to stop and start together, kids. The ending was executed well, but they didn't drill a hole in my brain like I wanted them to. It was just sorta blah. They had a well-rounded show. They pushed hard for technique, and almost just as hard in effect.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 69.00

Judson H.S., TX

I was entranced by the saxophone solo, followed by the lunge-leap by the woodwinds to the left. Excellent fall-off, trumpets (music). Thus far I am seeing some crisp things. Awh, those files have to be razor blade straight there, brass. Sweet! The fade to end the first movement, and then getting the solo snare drummer into the picture was PERFECT. Some of those line rotations could be shined some more, but not bad! Come on rifle squad, you could be more as one than that! This band involved me.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 78.50

Harlingen South H.S., TX

NO SHOW. (Too bad. I wanted to see them, too.)

W. Charles Akins H.S., TX

The narration could be a little more audible and understandable. Okay, these kids really get behind their sound. The play between sections, and the sharp body movements rock. Ooh, one rifle was dropped during the one-hand twirl. The peel-away crab step to the right as the music got to its peak in tension and stayed there was massive. There are spurts of things I like, and spurts of things I don't like about this show. Some of the demand seemed clipped or dampened. These guys were consistent, though. Quality. Quality plus, I should say.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 84.60

Cedar Park H.S., TX

The flamingo one-leg stance into the drop was clean, but seemed slightly off-balance. Whoa! Their first big impact was huge! I'll have seconds, please. This was a very aware group. The rest of their show was "balanced," ha ha (in reference to my first comment)! Forget the oops here or the oops there, as they worked as a team and gave you the goods as a team. And theeeee lift into motion during a phrase of Barber's best had me with them all the way. The dhuts before the intense last movement kinda ruined the flow, drums. (Is there a way to delete that?) I mean, you gave away the tempo of the intense...we KNEW it was coming, yeah? What a great ending. Like their first hit they brought out the wall of sound. Boo ya!

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 88.50

Victoria Memorial H.S., TX

The high brass have a thorough feature. I am a little dismayed by how the U.S. flag is treated, no guarded or ANYTHING. Synchronicity winds, synchronicity. Think of synchronicity in everything you do--files, dance moves, and especially musically. Aah! Get in step. Get in TIME! And if you're going to pull an L.D. Bell you had better make it your own so much so that we are left stunned. (Didn't happen.) Great domino toss, rifle squad. Their show was okay. They have a ways to go. Their design was weak. What else is new?

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 63.00

William B. Travis

My, my. They talk the talk with their pre-show with the drill formations. They could have made more of a statement to open things wider, I felt. Unison sound, people, unison...aaargh! Too much fluff, and not enough support, substance. When you build up my confidence in you that much and then tear it down, it's disappointing. Now THERE'S something worth seeing--the blue ribbons connecting that form as it moves as one. In fact, things are more "as one" as they ever have been before. These guys are tenacious. Wow, this show could have been so much more. This show has major structure issues in terms of music.

Robbie Rob gives them a score of 75.10

Okay, time for another break. So far I've seen 15 bands. When I get back I'll finish Day 1 of prelims. Sit tight.

88.50 Cedar Park

84.60 W. Charles Akins

78.50 Judson

77.80 Georgetown

75.10 William B. Travis

73.70 Leander

69.00 United

66.10 Klein Forest

65.90 John Marshall

65.30 Eagle Pass

63.00 Victoria Memorial

62.00 C.C. Winn