Average Football Crowd Show Response

Greetings to all from the left coast. A question came up today in another marching arts forum today in regards to L.D. Bell's show and the kinds of response the band received this season from your average high school football crowd. It is obviously clear that Bell's artistic production this year is vastly different compared to what an everyday person would expect from a marching band half time show. Was TRANSCENDents as big of a hit at Bell's football games as it was at Grand Nationals? Furthermore, how have other seemingly 'abstract' shows been received in the past? I will collect the responses gathered here and attempt to formulate an answer to the questions posed on the other forum, any answers provided to these questions are much appreciated.

with regards,

marchingartist

As a fellow football rival (former maybe next year?),

the South Grand Prairie crowd dealt the LD Bell band with much respect than the other bands.

That is the only time where the SGP crowd goes into "total" silence and actually listens to the visitor (or home if we are away) band which in this case is LD Bell.

The crowd always are at "aww" and at the end, they give a huge standing ovation.

Those are the only times where I feel like our crowd puts us aside and LD Bell first with honors, which is understandable.

3 years and hopefully counting, but I don't think the realignments will meet us again for a while.

It was a great ride seeing them grow though.

Edited by sax5warrior

From my experience, most football shows are treated about the same in Texas; the crowd just tends to ignore the field during halftime. The crowds at football games are usually there just to watch football. The don't give a crap about some marching band. It's always noisy and very rarely do intimate sections of the show actually come off as intimate. Unless the show is purposely crowd pleasing, like Hebron's DDR show, the crowd just doesn't care about what's going on.

From my experience, most football shows are treated about the same in Texas; the crowd just tends to ignore the field during halftime. The crowds at football games are usually there just to watch football. The don't give a crap about some marching band. It's always noisy and very rarely do intimate sections of the show actually come off as intimate. Unless the show is purposely crowd pleasing, like Hebron's DDR show, the crowd just doesn't care about what's going on.

It was actually the other way around when I was at my high school. It seemed as if people came more for the band, and not so much for the football team. Of course, our shows then weren't as complex as they are now...

Edited by GuitarJoe

I think the football crowd at our home field is very well behaved, they applaud every band that takes the field, whether they are better than us or worse. On away games it varies, like when we went to Dripping Springs, the home crowd was almost silent for us, but treated their home band will less respect. And of course there are school who try to clap off beat and blow air horns off tempo to try and throw us off, it is all just a matter of where you are at, but it seem in most cases the better the band the better the crowd.

yah, for us, most people who come to our games are there for the band only. It's interesting to see a large crowd come in right before halftime, then leave right after.

I believe LD Bell also did a Spirit Show this year for a lot of their home games right? It was pretty entertaining and was executed just as well as Bell executes EVERYTHING they do.