Is marching band affecting school work?

If there was ever a need to miss marching rehearsal for school related issues, no questions are asked... the directors want students to pass.

True, true....when I was having a ton of trouble in AP Calculus last year, which doesn't even count towards eligibility in UIL, my band director was very understanding when I would miss parts of band practice to go to tutorials. I was clarinet section leader, as well, which made this an even bigger deal. Basically, he really wanted all of us to pass, even if it had nothing to do towards eligibility. Not to mention he gave me several letters of recommendation when I was applying for scholarships last year, and I got two really great scholarships, so that was pretty awesome too :)

I think it's completely absurd. Band teaches kids about responsibility and hard work. Practice schedules are announced far in advanced (summer band or even as early as spring camp), so people know what they are getting in to. In life, employers and colleges will not separate your work load, just because you complain that it's too much. Employers can hire other people and the colleges already have your money.

Of course, it's understandable that Freshman parents would freak out, since the transition to HS is sometimes not so easy. However, people need to stop complaining and deal with it. If the parents don't want their child's grades to suffer, blaming band, then quit band. Band is varsity, and only needs people committed to being here.

I guess in that district, if you are in band, then you must march?? Because we have people in band who are in cheer or athletics and choose not to march, but are still in band class and will play concert season.

I, my friends, and most of the people here are taking/have taken, full AP/IB course loads and maintain strong A averages while going through the long practices both for band and for athletics. The class of '06 had the #2 of their class (by .001 pts from #1), the class of '07 had the valedictorian, and I'm the current guy at #1 for '08. All three of us marched all four years, take/took the hardest classes, and still balance our lives with other organizations and social stuff. Kids these days need to learn the meaning of work ethic.

Good luck to you guys who go to that district and hope everything works out.

just my $0.02 ;)

I always felt that I did better in school during marching season because having a full schedule made me prioritize my time to be as productive as possible. Then during concert season I'd be more prone to being lazy and procrastinating.

Something I find amusing: when I started college last year and not in any music organization, one of the things I had trouble adjusting to was having free time in the fall. :huh:

Marching only affects school if you don't manage your time well. I've always been real bad about managing my time, so yeah, it has affected me. But that's only 'cause I let it. I'm getting better though...

For anybody who is going into music, I've been told that time management is a biggie.

Anybody else have this problem?

Something I find amusing: when I started college last year and not in any music organization, one of the things I had trouble adjusting to was having free time in the fall. :huh:

Haha, thats so true. I'm done with classes by 2PM, and I was like "What do I do now?!" Haha..well, now that we're at the end of the semester, I have plenty of school work to keep me busy

Edited by ClaireAnnette07

• 2 months later...

Quite honestly during marching season, I feel more obligated to do my work than during concert season. I used to come home from practice and spend a couple of hours doing my homework, but now that I have free time it's kind of made me feel like I have an excuse to slack off. The only time marching season really conflicts with school is when you have a group project and can't find time to meet with a group of people to do it, but other than that it's totally fine!