• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH we always have collisions running to get water.

Because our water breaks are basically, sprint to the side, get as much water in your mouth as possible, sprint back, and drink your water in your spot. No exageration.

So we have a couple collisions a year, typically a brass bulldozing a woodwind down, and they eat cement.

People trip eachother alot during diamond drill too (fundementals)

with the whole entire band (the props/alternates and everything) in one huge block going in a diamond shape path with 6 to five steps at 180 for part four of the exercize. Usually flutes and clarinets are the ones to trip over eachother when we start going backward, and they likewise, eat cement.

Ha, we even tell the freshman, "Be warned. You WILL fall at SOME point during marching band."

And i heard stories, about how a several years ago LC did a show where they used masks (?)

They didnt practice with the masks, so the first time they ever used them was at some contest (or maybe a football game? i cant remember), and basically the whole band could hardly see out of them...

I think you can picture what that might look like, lol.

Edited by oDesign

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Bringing back a dead topic. Sorry.

At one of our football games a few weeks ago I had an asthma attack after performing the show. The asthma attack led to me having a panic attack and then hyperventilating and my mom thinks I may have had a seizure as well. Went to the er that night and they got me back to normal.

Now I have bronchitis so I can't march. I have no idea how long I'll be out. It really sucks!

Well.... Of course since it's the guards job to destroy all wind instruments in their way, I have been hit on my (not so) Funnybone during TOC of 07-08. And during my current show this year, a Rifle girl just has to hit me in the groin area when she does a stag leap through my line. Same spot..every game. And yes I'm hitting my dot, but she doesn't accept the fact that she has a whole 'nother count to spin her rifle..lol

I've never actually been injured before in marching band...unless you consider getting Bronchitis last year, but I think that was karma for taking a week-long break to go to Disney World. :D Plus I was in pit, so I didn't have to take any time off. I just croaked a lot.

Anyway, this year on the very first day of Freshman band camp, my first day doing marching fundamentals, we had a gush and go water break. Trying to set an example I sprinted back to my spot...and when someone ran into my path I didn't adjust in time, catching their heel and being propelled forward. Later I was told I did this weird Power Rangers flip :D but I skidded across the blacktop and tore open both my hands and knees. I was nicknamed 'The Mummy' for how heavily bandaged I was. :(

Also, I almost passed out before a game even started. Long story short there was a dinner mix-up, I didn't have enough to eat, it was hot and I was carrying a heavy drum, and the only thing that kept me from hitting the ground was a snare girl next to me catching me.

And THEN, my eyes seem to be a target for attacks. Be it stray elbows, mic cords, or the snare harness of the same girl who caught me (very painful, btw) I've gotten hit in the eye many times so far.

It just hasn't been my year, injury-wise. :/