• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be funny to watch a Nazi try to jazz run. =]

What was wrong with the kid that fell on the field, and what happened in your 'pre-show'(lol) we were on the other side of the field and I am nearsighted so I really couldn't make out what was going on besides people running.... "Now that folks, is entertainment"-Announcer...

Well, I can honestly say my entire marching season I have failed to fall during marching shows.

However, I have rolled my ankle during this crazy drill we do with the clarinets, but the pavement was wet. We all know how marching on wet black top is scary especially when you have a lot of momentum and have to close on the white paint. NOW that's scary.

Edited by chickora

During tour, I had a three week long game I played. It's called the "What Muscle is Sore Today" game? Every day, a different muscle in either leg hurt like none other. One point, I even had to sit out of an ensemble block for 10 minutes (unheard of in DCI) due to what looked like tendonitis forming in my right Achilles' Tendon. That show that night was MURDER.

One I still march with is another tour muscle pull. In my bus seat, if I moved the wrong way in the seat, I would get a paralyzing Charlie Horse in my right hamstring, and I can feel it act up during rehearsal sometomes.

Oh well, no pain, no gain, right?

I've never fallen in a show or during a practice, for which i'm proud, but there was one time when we were running back to our set when the person in front of me tripped on a color gourd flag :angry: and i tripped on him and completly bit it. I couldn't move my arm very well for a few minutes and had to have help getting up, but now I have this HUGE scar on my elbow. <_<

Nothing personally

But In BOA San Antonio Prelims

One of our Mellos fell and broke her wrist

She picked up her horn and marched the rest of the show

and got mad when we told her she couldn't march finals

She's one tough kid, and shes only a freshman!

yeah, i love her. shes a tough cookie. i want our shirts this year to have her falling off a buffalo. (if you go to colleyville you know that the horns have a thing for buffalos and jana falling. lol)

anyway about injuries that ive had:

the thursday before boa i was flying backwards at just a little bigger than 6 to 5 and totally fell on my butt. i turned my ankle and crashed to the ground. one of my directors came over to check on me and the first thing that i said was "IM SOOO SORRY" bc at the time i didnt think i was gunna get to march at boa. then the second thing out of my mouth was, "is my horn ok?" im such a nerd.

i ended up being ok and marched on saturday for boa... :lol:

on our field....we have a pole. yes, a giant light pole on the right 35 yard line. coincidently, we had a set last year which involved 4 people at 1 step spacing changing spots at a really fast rate (more or less) i had to backstep around the pole, side step around it, then take a huge step back infront of it to complete the set (it looked like the group of 4 should be dancing). 1 time doing the "doe-see-doe" as we called it i dident step to far back enough on the first step, and ended up cramming my foot into the pole on the following set causing a sort of domino effect through out the 6-8 person group surrounding me, as we all fell down we had a baritone player fall on my ankle and it nearly broke it, all the while hitting my head on the base that the pole sat on.

and as if it wasent bad enough having to fight for your life when your around that pole, during shows on the field... when there was no pole, we had to act as if it wasent there, so the months of training your feet to adjust to the pole had to be thrown out the window...

but, i dont know what we could do without that pole. i feel like its a part of us now! :P

do this to myself. It was so hard to sit on the sidelines and watch the band rehearse--I had never wanted to march more in my life.

I ended up at the hospital for xrays because my foot wasn't getting any better. It turned out that it was just a major sprain, but the doctors told me I shouldn't march on it for at least 2 weeks. There was no way I wasn't going to march at state, so I purchased the best ankle brace I could find, managed to stick my swollen foot into it and my marching shoe, and marched my final contest. Did it hurt? You bet. Do I regret marching? Heck no.

My ankle still swells up every once in the while, especially when the weather changes. At least now I know when it is going to get cold outside. :)

if i could shake your hand right now i would, cuz thats dedication to the max right there.

I tripped over my band director's foot one year...but he was in my way in the middle of practice and shouldn't have been in the field anyway lol

I sprained my ankle today. We had a fire alarm go off in my dorm, and as I was walking away from the building, i tripped over the curb and heard my ankle pop. Thank god for the on campus emergency room!!

This girl trombone player in our band popped here knee our while marching. I did the exact same thing playing baseball so I could empathize. What really impressed me was she ended up marching at the competition that we had that weekend with a big bulky brace on. It kept here from bending her knee. She had the straightest leg of the whole night. =)

Haha.

Edited by BassoonPadwan

Last year in our 'Music Is...' show we had 2 chairs on EVERY Yard line... and they moved from a big X to this little zig zag pattern... Well... When someone would misplace said chair (Even by a half of a step) Someone else was guaranteed to eat some turf. So we had multiple injuries from that though the two that stick out the most to me was...

1. ) At the Lonestar Preview last year one person in my section misplaced the chair and someone kicked it over. A judge decided he was going to move the chair... BUT he didn't get there in enough time and one of our mello players was marching backwards and PLOP! The Judge got the chair afterward and left a comment sorta like "Wow who woulda thought chairs would be so deadly?"

2.) At a football game a Chair wasn't set right got tipped over and a flute player tripped over it. Then the same flute player tripped over ANOTHER chair and in the "Mass of Humanity" cross through move a Mello player tripped over one of the chairs and rolled on the ground but got back up. I remeber we watched the mello player disappear and re-appear NUMOROUS times... (With zoom... slow motion... the whole 9 yards.)

In the end... I think everyone had a knee problem due to a misplaced chair, but everyone kept truckin'... 'cept for the flute she ahd to sit out a few games and stuff but she is fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, Mansfield ues the giant Plexi glass things that were on wooden bases with wheels.

Well.

Some of the girls on the guard had missed the practice, so they didn't know where exactly to move the props during the closer.

Well.

We were going 190 bpm. I was going backwards and out of the corner of my eye, I see this giant green thing coming at me. I didn't have time to react and it rammed into my ankle. My instrument flew out of my hands one way and the mouthpiece went the other. What made it worse, my ankles was stuck under it and I was laying on top of it. The stupid girl wouldn't stop. Finally she stopped, so I jumped up and ran over to my instrument with such an adrenaline rush. Then i realized my mouthpiece was gone. I guess I should have forgot about, but as I ran to get it, I collided with a tuba player, in which the tuba rammed into my ribcage where I had a huge bruise. Well, after we came off the field, I had kept a strong face the whole time. Then, I couldn't stand it anymore. I told my co-section leader that my ankle was swelling and that i thought it felt wet(I couldn't tell if it was sweat or not.) So she helped me over to the band parents where (a lot of other people had been hit by props among other things). As I walked up, they made her go back, and left me standing on a hurt ankle. I told them what happened and they said they didn't believe me. I had to walk all the way up the stands and lift up my pants to make them believe it. It had been sliced open and there was blood. I finally got ice and all was well I suppose. I was limping for two weeks or so. On the video, my wipeout is pretty funny.

That game, though. Two girls had al;ready been taken to the hospital for concussions from guard equipment. This other kid got taken to the hospital because of heart problems. This other girl had an asthma attack during the show.

That was a bad game.

haha.

last year, we had a pass through, and I went through a trumpet line and the sousaphone line.

our sousaphones were so crappy last year, they were held together with zip ties.

anyway, one rehearsal, we did that set, and I was too far back, and one tuba was too far foreward. so we collided, and now I have a nice scar on my right arm.

and this year, I got hit with one of the props, and got cut on my left arm.

Last year, Mansfield ues the giant Plexi glass things that were on wooden bases with wheels.

Well.

Some of the girls on the guard had missed the practice, so they didn't know where exactly to move the props during the closer.

Well.

We were going 190 bpm. I was going backwards and out of the corner of my eye, I see this giant green thing coming at me. I didn't have time to react and it rammed into my ankle. My instrument flew out of my hands one way and the mouthpiece went the other. What made it worse, my ankles was stuck under it and I was laying on top of it. The stupid girl wouldn't stop. Finally she stopped, so I jumped up and ran over to my instrument with such an adrenaline rush. Then i realized my mouthpiece was gone. I guess I should have forgot about, but as I ran to get it, I collided with a tuba player, in which the tuba rammed into my ribcage where I had a huge bruise. Well, after we came off the field, I had kept a strong face the whole time. Then, I couldn't stand it anymore. I told my co-section leader that my ankle was swelling and that i thought it felt wet(I couldn't tell if it was sweat or not.) So she helped me over to the band parents where (a lot of other people had been hit by props among other things). As I walked up, they made her go back, and left me standing on a hurt ankle. I told them what happened and they said they didn't believe me. I had to walk all the way up the stands and lift up my pants to make them believe it. It had been sliced open and there was blood. I finally got ice and all was well I suppose. I was limping for two weeks or so. On the video, my wipeout is pretty funny.

That game, though. Two girls had al;ready been taken to the hospital for concussions from guard equipment. This other kid got taken to the hospital because of heart problems. This other girl had an asthma attack during the show.

That was a bad game.

Why didn't they believe you were hurt? Why would you make something like that up? Just sounds awkward...

Why didn't they believe you were hurt? Why would you make something like that up? Just sounds awkward...

Because there were a lot of people faking it.

People took the opportunity to not have to stand in the stands or play in the stands.

It was pretty bad. People were crying and nothing even happened to them.

I doubt I would have someone help me ALL THE WAY OVER on the other side of the field while I'm limping just to fake it.

They were like, "Oh well, go sit in the stands. If we find ice we'll bring it to you." Um. Yeah. That was painful walking up the steps.

And THEN. A NON-BAND PARENT asked me what was wrong and went and got me ice.

Yeah, it definitely pissed me off.

My mom actually sustained a band injury when I was a freshman...

I remember we were playing Dickinson during an away game that time. She was a band parent back then, and when her and some of the other band parents were moving one of the xylophones to the other side of the stadium, my petite mama tripped over her own two feet and fell flat on her face! What's worse is that it was their homecoming, and she fell right next to all of the homecoming court, the cheerleaders AND the band! She was SO embarassed! Did I mention that the game was televised as well? We didn't get home in time to see the news, so we never found out if her faceplant was shown throughout all of the Houston viewing area :)

I, on the other hand, missed the entire thing! :(

Edited by ClaireAnnette07