The USSBA (United States Scholastic Band Association) is the fastest growing marching circuit in the United States. It's extremely popular in the Northeast/New England area and is one of the main circuits up there along with Tournament of Bands (TOB).

The USSBA tested the water here in Texas back in 2000 & 2001 by hosting the USSBA Houston Regional and was extremely successful with it. After taking a few years off, the USSBA returned to Texas and the circuit is quickly gaining popularity once again. This year, they are holding six events in Texas along with the first ever USSBA Texas State Championships being held in the Houston area in Pearland (same site as BOA Houston) on October 27th. There are currently over 30 bands registered at State including powerhouses Westfield & Brazoswood. It should be a great one.

More info @: http://www.yea.org/site/PageNavigator/USSBA07_Texas

If your friend is the one that told you Piscataway is always tops in USSBA, then he was giving you some bad information. Piscataway won a few times in the 90s, but has of late not been as dominant (to say the least) in the USSBA. To begin with, there are usually less than ten bands in the highest division (Group VI Open) and Piscataway has been scoring in the lower half of those at finals the past couple of years. The last I remember is 2005 when they were 9th out of 14 (still have the recap saved). There were also a large number of groups in the lower classes that outscored them, and they finished around 20th at their last BOA regional in 2004.

The USSBA is a fairly well run organization. Actually, aside from BOA, I'd say that logistically they are tops in the marching band world (from what I've experienced). They keep band directors informed well ahead of time about any changes, possible show cancellations, requirements, etc, and all their information on the website is usually quickly updated. The only complaint I have about the USSBA is their judging system. From what I've gathered, there is a floor for scores that increases on a weekly basis. Not only that, but they are MUCH more liberal with their scoring, and with the high number of bands that attend finals each year it can be disastrous. I remember in 2004 there was a very large number of bands in Group V Open (the only division I watched in finals because my alma mater competed in it) that scored above a 95, and all the remaining scored above a 90, I think. I just think it's unreasonable when a recap sheet for any particular caption has a 3-4 point spread (out of 40) for 16 bands, when any average viewer can CLEARLY see that the quality between all 16 bands is much different than a mere 4 point spread. That and I really don't see how even one or two of those bands would be scoring in the mid-high 90s, nevermind ALL of them.

If your friend is the one that told you Piscataway is always tops in USSBA, then he was giving you some bad information. Piscataway won a few times in the 90s, but has of late not been as dominant (to say the least) in the USSBA. To begin with, there are usually less than ten bands in the highest division (Group VI Open) and Piscataway has been scoring in the lower half of those at finals the past couple of years. The last I remember is 2005 when they were 9th out of 14 (still have the recap saved). There were also a large number of groups in the lower classes that outscored them, and they finished around 20th at their last BOA regional in 2004.

oh okay. when he said that he was in marching band, i searched for a video of them, but only 1991-93 would come up.