Well-ran Drum Corps

QuadraticBeats

Despite having been unsurprisingly cut from the Crossmen camp, I am still curious if there are any other corps besides the big name corps with solid operations- by this I mean they treat the participants well, don't have issues with logistics, are well organized, and overall provide a good experience. I've heard a number of horror stories about badly-run corps, and if, in the unlikely scenario that I decide to march this summer, I would like a reference to a corps matching the above description.

Thank you to all who help or attempt to help me in advance, and good luck to all those involved in corps marching this year.

Sorry to hear that you were cut from Xmen.

As for your question:

It is not just the top 6 that have well-run organizations. In fact, it has nothing to do with placement at all. Being a top 6 corps does not insure that you will have no logistical problems, or money problems. That cadets have some of the crapiest buses I have ever seen.

Corps that I have known to take (very) good care of their members?

The Cavaliers

Carolina Crown

The Glassmen

Boston Crusaders

There are probably a ton more that more people can attest to.

The well-being of your Drum Corps as an organization has little to do with placement.

The Troopers.

Their tour director, Fred, basically came and saved Capital Regiment this summer. That man made things run smoothly.

Also, since you're a drummer, you might like to know that they're percussion caption head this year is Brian Stevens.

He's taught the SFA drumline for the past 7 or 8 years, marched and taught Phantom Regiment and was Caption Head for Capital Regiment last summer. He's a great teacher, and you'd learn a lot from him.

I marched a summer of a poorly run corps, so I have a good comparison when I say Spirit is very well run. There will always be B.S. issues on tour no matter which corps your with. Some corps handle it better than others.

Some things I was quite impressed with:

- LOTS of floor time, i.e. pulled into Madison on the Monday of Finals Week at 9...didn't start rehearsal until noon

- quality of instruction, hands down

- fed well

- staff cohesiveness

- dealt with any problems responsibly

- the attitude promoted by vets, staff, and the director

- rehearsing with a purpose, no unnecessary punishments

- getting things done in rehearsal even in short blocks

- when there are free days on tour, they actually are free days

Other corps friends have marched at that reported good organizations:

- Colts

- Glassmen

- Boston Crusaders

- Carolina Crown

- Bluecoats

- Cavaliers

These are all within my own experience. All opinions are mine alone and not representative of an organization.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...